Thread: Put down that steak!

Put down that steak!

Shop Now
    For general info.

Hot dogs I get but red meat in general

Processed meat can cause cancer, red meat probably can: WHO | Reuters

Scott Belanger

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

A tip... don't take nutritional advice from the WHO.... as the "experts" get things wrong on a regular basis....

False alarm! Pick your steak back up....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

brought to you by the same people who recommended margarine and "vegetable" oil.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

brought to you by the same people who recommended margarine and "vegetable" oil.

Chris Kresser wrote an excellent article addressing the concerns about red meat: Red Meat & Cancer—Again! Will It Ever Stop?

All this WHO talk of red meat and processed meat being worse, prompted further investigation of processed meat. Frankly, some of it ain't so bad either. Cotto salami is fermented meat, an excellent probiotic. Some processed meat is formed from a slurry of junk meat, not necessarily bad when viewed from the whole animal head to toe perspective. Nitrites? Bad, right? Not if sufficient Vitamin C is ingested. Nitrites with C convert to Nitric Oxide, a good thing.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Quote Originally Posted by John Caton View Post
    All this WHO talk of red meat and processed meat being worse, prompted further investigation of processed meat. Frankly, some of it ain't so bad either. Cotto salami is fermented meat, an excellent probiotic. Some processed meat is formed from a slurry of junk meat, not necessarily bad when viewed from the whole animal head to toe perspective. Nitrites? Bad, right? Not if sufficient Vitamin C is ingested. Nitrites with C convert to Nitric Oxide, a good thing.
    Not to mention that there are more naturally occurring nitrates in spinach than in most processed meats.. and spinach is a healthy food...

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by theminimalistcommunity View Post
    Chris Kresser wrote an excellent article addressing the concerns about red meat: Red Meat & Cancer—Again! Will It Ever Stop?
    What Chris Kresser wrote [emphasis mine]:
    At this point, given what the research indicates, I do not feel that modest consumption of cured or processed meat is likely to pose a significant health risk, provided you are doing other things right (i.e., nurturing your gut microbiome, eating nutrient-dense, real foods, exercising, etc.). I think there is even less evidence suggesting that we should limit consumption of fresh red meat, especially when it is cooked using gentle methods (rather than charring it) and when you eat “from nose to tail.”
    Reasonable people cannot interpret such statements (which you'll also see from the likes of Mark Sisson) as absolute endorsements of unlimited consumption of processed meat and red meat. They are pointing toward contextual modifiers. Sounds reasonable, but if they are right, then you should be practicing those contextual constraints.