Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP ...Coconut Oil !!! page

primalmom is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I have searched around, both here and on the Net generally, and I cannot really find out any info on this, so here goes ... please feel free to chime in ...

I have a problem with coconut oil (I will outline the "reaction" below) ...

... I really WANT to be able to use it, as it has so many health-supporting properties ... read "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" .... but .... I have tried off and on, about a year or so ago, and then last week again - different brands, more refined, less refined etc .... I have hypoT (Hashi)(for 10 years), pooped adrenals, I am 43, female, not having any menopausal issues, and most likely suffering from damaged metabolims (hence the hypoT) ... weight is 120, at 5'6", very active ....

Anyhoo ... here's what happens ... I eat the coconut oil - either saute with it, put in a smoothie, eggs maybe - and soon after I eat it, maybe within 15-20 minutes - I get a massive migraine - I am very prone to migraines anyway, so it does not take much to bring one on - so I have the migraine, facial flushing, dizziness, and a general crappy feeling ... well, I read about "die off" and last year, I tried to "push through" that by staying with it for a couple of weeks - hell ... instead of helping my thyroid, my TSH shot up, joint pain and fatigue was horrific .. it sucked ...

So, I guess I don't HAVE to use the coconut oil ... but it would be nice to know what the deal is .. and if I don't use it, is there something else I could put in its place ?? Pastured organic butter ????

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

marika Guest

I too cannot eat coconut products (digestive issues). I've been using pure pastured pork lard for all of my cooking, and melted for salad dressing.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I use butter occasionally. I also use beef tallow that I rendered myself. It's super easy. Acquire beef (or pork) fat, place in cast iron pan and heat on low, drain off fat every so often. I hear it can be done in a crockpot also.

Tallow is wonderful for cooking. It's by far my favorite, above coconut oil.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primalmom, do you get these symptoms when sautéing with other saturated fats? Not that I've ever heard of such a sensitivity, but hey, whoever heard carbs were bad for you 30 years ago? And, of course, I'm no doctor, I only play one on TV (as the quip goes.)

The fact that you have experienced these migraines even with the refined oil is puzzling. Have you contacted, say, Spectrum or Tropical Traditions to see if they have any experience? Or, of course, your physician? (Often the last to be informed of out of the mainstream news.)

Tadas is offline Member

OT:

You're 43, primalmom???

Do you took a picture of your daughter for the avatar? You look like 22 on the pic...

@Tadas - hehe ... you are TOO kind - nah, that's me

@OTB - no other sat fats, just the CO - sad ... My doc just does the shrug - he is pretty "out of the box" but ... ??? ... I am thinking it is something to do with the MCTs - but doesn't butter have MCTs too ??

Thanks Diana and Marika ! I will try the tallow and lard ... bacon & spinach salad !

PrimalMom

Chubby1 Guest

Try using Ghee to cook with. If you haven't used this before, it provides a rich flavor profile to all the foods you saute with, and you'd still be using something in the Primal Blueprint.

In terms of your adrenals, have you ever been tested for adrenal fatigue. It's pretty interesting to see the results. I got mine tested through a saliva test and a blood test and the results were conclusive...on the cusp of stage 3 adrenal fatigue. I work with Sean Croxton from Underground Wellness and he's truly helped me turn things around.

maba is offline Senior Member

@Primalmom: Avoid refined coconut oil, use only virgin (or extra-vergin as some companies call it) CO. Chemicals are used for the refining process and that may have something to do with your migraines. Do you get the same reaction from using unrefined/virgin CO?

yah Maba .. the one I have now is unrefined - it is very grainy with coconut and smells awesome ... boo

Chubby - I did a blood test last year - low cortisol, DHEA on the low normal - doc said to take DHEA, B5, licorice --- some help but sometimes, it aggravates ... the symptoms are back now - I think it is stress from overexercise and under-nourishing .... I was following a very strict (yes, lowfat, and I know better !!) diet from January to July ... DUH ME !! ... And I need to stop all caffeine - I am about 50/50 now ... for sure, that will help too !

I am wondering if the adrenal thing is somehow related - there is a snippet in a Schwarzbein book about not being able to tolerate lots of sat fat if your adrenals are sub par ... anyone know WHY ???

PrimalMom

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Folks, she said she has headache problems with both refined and unrefined oils. The refined is the one that would be LESS likely to give problems because there would be fewer "tag along" molecules that are not fatty acids in it. That's why those grain based oils are highly refined.

Ghee, tallow, or butter does not address her concerns. None of them have the putative health benefits she is trying to get with coconut oil.

In order to eliminate psychological/subjective components, I would suggest blind testing with someone else doing the cooking. But with coconut oil's distinct flavor that would be hard to do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast