Thread: Psoriatic Arthritis Tips

Psoriatic Arthritis Tips

Shop Now
    Hi all, I am a 27 year old female and have been diagnosed with Psoriasis at the age of 16 and psoriatic arthritis at the age of 25. I have most of my shins, knees and elbows covered and then the odd small patch here and there. To be honest I can cope with the psoriasis but during the last 3 months the arthritis has gone to a new level and I have multiple joints swolen. The worse part is that my ankles and the bottom of my feet are badly swolen making walking very painful. When I visited my rheumatologist he immediately instructed that I start taking methotrexate, otherwise I may end up in a wheelchair. After reading about the drug and basically if you stop it the disease comes back with a vengeance, I am very skeptical. Over the past 2 weeks I have started taking a proper diet therefore removing all gluten, dairy, eggs, nightshades, tomatoes, preservatives (I haven't drunk alcohol in years). As soon as I wake up I squeeze one whole lemon with roughly a litre of water. Then I eat 50g of organic gluten-free oats with some almond milk. Then I take a number of supplements which include; milk thistle, dandelion, lyrinol and tumeric. Next week I registered for a hydo-therapy class, hopefully to relieve the pain and of course start going regularly. What are your views on the above? Shall I start taking the methotrexate? Are the suppliments listed above sufficient? Your personal opnions are much appreciated because I am in terrible pain. Thanks in advance!!!

I have heard of people having success with eating only veggies and fat. But I have no personal experience.
    Did you read about the AIP?

I have PsA as well. It sounds like you are in bad place in the pain department as I was several years ago. Mothotraxate was horrible for me and milk thistle would be recommended hard core for taking that drug as it probably helped to save my liver.

I don't see anything wrong with the supplements you are taking but I found everything to not really matter in the grand scheme of things. The only thing that had actual evidence of working was the Milk Thistle.

I think you should work with the Dr. on this as you can have permanent joint issues if you don't. Start to demand taking a Biologic drug to immediately take down the inflammation. It worked wonders for me and helped to keep me out of a wheelchair.

Once you get the inflammation under control keep up with the elimination diet for several months. When you are taking a biologic when you get sick you are not supposed to take it. This will give you opportunity to see if the diet has put the disease under remission.

You will know in a couple of days if it works or not. For me it did and I feel blessed from it as I have been free from medication for several years now.

Feel free to reach out with anything in this case as I have been there.

Shop Now
    The Autoimmune Protocol could be your best friend. There are several things that need to be eliminated, but once they are, the results can kick in very quickly. Paleomom.com is probably the best place to go first. ยป The Autoimmune Protocol She spells out the protocol, which will get you started. There are tons of AIP recipes available online - websites, Pinterest, Instagram, you name it. I have autoimmune connective tissue disease and am trying to avoid going back on medication after having to come off of steroids (which is, ultimately, a great thing), and what I do or don't put in my mouth has a tremendous impact on what kind of days I will be having.

Ditching ALL grains, not just gluten grains is vital for me. Gluten free oats caused misery. Coffee about killed me, I swear it. Please visit that site soon, you will be amazed at what a difference in will make in your pain/mobility level - you can start today!

Good luck, and please keep us updated on how you're doing. There are many people with autoimmune issues who find the paleo/primal ways of eating and although I can only speak for myself, I've benefited greatly from info shared by fellow sufferers. There are quite a few threads on autoimmunity and diet if you do a search.
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 10-26-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson