Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Phytic acid and selenium ?

Phytic acid and selenium ?

Shop Now
    Hello. Does phytic acid binds to selenium and reduce its absorbtion? I think i have selenium deficiency and i am wondering if brazil nuts will be a good source of selenium.

Nuts and Phytic Acid | Mark's Daily Apple

why do you think you are deficient in selenium? all the minerals the body needs work together...
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

I have every symptoms of Se deficiency and that the only supplement i haven't tried to regain my health. I have eaten brazil nuts before but like a ocassional snack. Now i want to supplement with it and i don;t know what to buy brazsil nut or a supplement..so from what i read on that article phytic acid does have an effect on selenium?

*sorry my brain fog is high this morning*

Mark published a blog post a few years ago about phytic acid and nuts.
    Nuts and Phytic Acid | Mark's Daily Apple

Tuna is also a great source for selenium, not only contributing to your selenium needs, but also mitigating any mercury you might be concerned about from the tuna or elsewhere. Tuna contributes to your Omega-3 intake as well. I prefer tuna over brazil nuts, but not because of phytic acid concerns.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Thanks! One more thing should i take selenium with vitamin e for better absorbtion?

i think you should see a doctor instead of self-diagnosing. all the minerals in the body work together. randomly increasing one may cause more harm than good.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Good luck finding a doctor well versed on this topic. Better off going to a lab and doing an online vitamin mineral test if allowed were you reside.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by tisho23 View Post
    Thanks! One more thing should i take selenium with vitamin e for better absorbtion?
    Each assists the other for absorption, but the same holds true for virtually all other vitamins and minerals. None are miracle workers by themselves; they all are dependent on each other which is why others here are advising against supplementation without testing.

Vitamins and minerals are chemically used to make hormones that drive bodily functions, or enzymes to catalyze the actions of hormones. For example, magnesium is used as a component of more than 300 different enzymes or hormones. If one is deficient of magnesium, that's 300+ hormones or enzymes that don't get manufactured. But, of those 300+ magnesium dependent body chemicals, other vitamins and minerals are used in their makeup, too. If they are absent, the hormones/enzymes still don't get produced even if you do have adequate magnesium. This is an illustration of how they all are needed in the presence of each other. In whole foods, nature has prepared them in their proper ratios.

Chances are, if your vitamin and mineral intake is sufficient and balanced from diet, you won't need supplements. That being said, there are conditions in some that do cause deficiencies and supplementation is helpful. B12 and D deficiencies are common, despite adequate intake. Deficiencies are not likely determined solely by symptoms. Testing by your doctor or on your own through a lab is advised for that.

If you are eating a diverse, whole foods primal diet you shouldn't have to go through such wrangling and concern.

If you remain concerned, my advice is that you do a thorough review, not of your symptoms, but of the foods you commonly eat and determine if they are providing you adequate intake of the essential vitamins and minerals. If they aren't, then add the foods that will. If you have determined that you are not ingesting sufficient selenium, as your OP stated, then tuna or brazil nuts should be added. If you determine you are not getting enough vitamin e either, then brazil nuts are a better choice than tuna because both selenium and vitamin e will be provided. Grain consumption, mono-diets, so-called Calorie restriction and excessive fasting are contributors to vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
    Last edited by John Caton; 10-24-2015 at 04:06 AM.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys