Thread: Low Carb / Primal Health Responses page

Anonymous Guest

This evening, I was posting on a low-carb thread in another forum I go to. People were responding with standard low carb 'FUD' (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) about low carb, in general.

Here's and example of the type of thing I'm talking about - http://health.yahoo.com/experts/weig...rt-your-memory .

I was wondering if people'd be interesting in compiling a list of common items people bring up when you mention 'low carb', as well as responses to them that are correct and, if possible, with studies and other references to help prove the point.

In the world of bodybuilding, there's the concept of 'broscience' - which is 'my buddy heard about this thing you can take that'll make you lift 1 million pounds!'. I'd really like the list to have pointers to studies or experts to get out of the 'broscience' biz.

I'll start going through some of this tomorrow, but I thought I'd start the thread tonight.

Nick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Definitely a good policy. I have a friend who pretty much buys the conventional wisdom on faith, but he still wants to see journal papers backing up anything I say about being fat being healthy, insulin driving obesity instead of the other way around, etc.

That specific study can be easily debunked -- it was a three week study. Adaptation to a fat burning diet and more gluconeogenesis does not happen overnight, and while I don't have a journal citation to back it up (I looked, briefly), Nora Gedgaudas asserts in 'Primal Body - Primal Mind' that it takes between 3 to 6 weeks to adapt fully to that sort of diet.

On the subject of mental performance and blood sugar, this study, which came out in February, says the opposite (free full text PDF available for now): http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/2/221.long