Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gaining lean muscle on a grain/potato free diet...

gaining lean muscle on a grain/potato free diet...

Shop Now
    k so i avoid grains and potatoes/sweet potatoes and most legumes cause they seem to be pro-inflammatory for me. I eat squash as my main carb source and i feel like after eliminating these foods from my diet, my muscles seem a bit more flabby and less defined/lean. I recently experimented with ayurvedic medicine where they suggested a kitchari cleanse (basmati rice and mung beans with veggies, ghee and spices for a week straight, nothing else) so during this "cleanse" my muscles felt amazing, lean, and full without feeling like there was a thin layer of fat over them.... i know carbs fill glycogen stores so muscles kinda plump out and what not but now that im off the cleanse and back to avoiding grains, potatoes and most legumes, my muscles are slowly returning to not feeling so lean and defined. And not to be vain but i'm pretty proud of my butt and it looks awesome and more full when i eat grains... and then, you guessed it, when i cut them out it feels a lot less full and perky. I eat plenty of chicken, fish, veggies, squash, coconut oil, avocado and not much fruit. Maybe a piece here and there. I'm pretty active and box, lift and do yoga so maybe i need to eat more.. but i feel like i eat plenty. Any paleo tips on what to eat to get this lean, full, defined muscle effect or do i sound ridiculous and need to except the fact that it is what it is cause my glycogen stores aren't as full?.. thanks guys!

White rice?

dont be afraid of redmeat and eggs, you need more iron.

no go, too high glycemic/inflammatory :/

thanks! im trying to incorporate more red meat

If the question is alternate starches: parsnip, cassava, taro, plantain, breadfruit, and chestnut are easily digested by most folks. IME the main variable for lean tissue is total calories.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

If you felt good on your cleanse, why not include those foods in your regular diet? You wouldn't be the first "post-paleo" person to use PB as a starting point but then add back in some foods based on your own experience.

It seems strange to discuss increasing muscle mass without discussing training. What does your strength training plan look like? Nutrition alone has a large effect on adipose tissue over time, but will have a very small effect on muscle composition. There are only a few ways to make a muscle change its appearance:

1. Increase its size. This is the big one, and is accomplished entirely through training.

2. Increase its resting tension (the technical definition of muscle tone). This can only be accomplished by getting stronger, and is also entirely training.

3. Decrease the amount of subcutaneous fat surrounding that muscle. This is diet and training, with genetic limits making it difficult for some people.

4. Hydrate the muscle with glycogen and water from carbohydrate. This is diet, but the effect is really very small. A person of average size will only add 3-4 pounds of water and glycogen even when saturated, which is not that much distributed over the entire skeletal muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    It seems strange to discuss increasing muscle mass without discussing training. What does your strength training plan look like? Nutrition alone has a large effect on adipose tissue over time, but will have a very small effect on muscle composition. There are only a few ways to make a muscle change its appearance:

1. Increase its size. This is the big one, and is accomplished entirely through training.

2. Increase its resting tension (the technical definition of muscle tone). This can only be accomplished by getting stronger, and is also entirely training.

3. Decrease the amount of subcutaneous fat surrounding that muscle. This is diet and training, with genetic limits making it difficult for some people.

4. Hydrate the muscle with glycogen and water from carbohydrate. This is diet, but the effect is really very small. A person of average size will only add 3-4 pounds of water and glycogen even when saturated, which is not that much distributed over the entire skeletal muscle mass.
    Excellent. +1.

Until the exercise-in-a-pill is invented, The Scientist has summed it up.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Shop Now
    You have got to do what works for you, I function much better with carbs including potatoes and grains. If you feel better and look the way you want with them in your diet, eat them. Plenty of healthy people eat a full spectrum of carbs. If you don't do well with them, then try alternative starches or work with a lower carb/high fat plan.

The "bad" diet belongs to those living off of bizarre fake foods, white bread, corn syrup, sugar, no protein, bad fats. Adding in potatoes or grains is not bad unless you have a sensitivity to them which should be apparent.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!