Thread: Fat consumption - how much and what kind do you regularly consume?

Fat consumption - how much and what kind do you regularly consume?

Shop Now
    Now I've got used to a primal way of eating and have established routines I've taken stock of my fat consumption and I'm wondering how it compares to others.

I averaged it out over a week since daily levels vary considerably. These are fats I add into my diet for cooking mostly, also dressings, but I've also noted omega 3 and cream fat.

Olive oil - 500ml
    Butter - 250gms
    Omega 3 - 6gms (from salmon)
    200gms of dairy fat (from full fat cream)

I also eat eggs (about 18 per week), and ground beef and pork, chicken (whole roast bird and breast) and beef/pork steaks for meals, all of which contains fats of various kinds, but I take that as a given with most of us. It's the added fats I'm interested in.

I have no targeted fat level. Fat is my "eat to satiation" macro.

I restrict carbs and target protein levels, but not fat. Compared to your fat choices, mine have more omega-3s from wild caught fish sources and more meat based saturated fats.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

You don't need to count fat. Eat a targeted amount of carbs, and a targeted amount of protein, and your fat consumption should make up the rest of your calorie needs (by eating until you aren't hungry). Just watch your O6/O3 ratio. That's all you need to worry about.

Before this thread goes off on the wrong tangent, I'm not asking for advice as to what I should eat. I've been at this for a couple of years now and I'm happy with my macronutrient balance.

I'm simply asking what others are consuming on a regular basis.

You don't need to count fat. Eat a targeted amount of carbs, and a targeted amount of protein, and your fat consumption should make up the rest of your calorie needs (by eating until you aren't hungry). Just watch your O6/O3 ratio. That's all you need to worry about.

Mine mainly comes from animal proteins and coconut oil which I fry nearly everything in. Sometimes butter to lather over veggies and meats and olive oil for salad dressing. Occasionally nuts and seeds, but I find I don't really eat these that often.

My everydays would include one dozen eggs, 16oz raw whole milk, and grass fed sourced butter melted on vegetables.

Daily changes would be fats from different animal sources and olive oil varying from a little bit to obscene amounts.

I eat most of my eggs raw and poached, but when I fry them, I fry them in coconut oil.

Roughly in order of importance to my diet

1. Meats, eggs, fish
    2. Olive oil and butter (dressings, sauces, cooking)
    3. Aged cheeses
    4. Macadamia nuts (dry roasted, no added oil)
    5. Whole pepperoni sliced for snacks
    6. 85% dark chocolate
    7. No-sugar dark chocolate (sweetened with Stevia)
    8. Almonds (dry roasted, no oils added
    9. Half and Half
    10. Whole coconut
    11. Cod liver oil
    Last edited by NewOldGuy; 10-13-2015 at 08:23 PM.

One thing I found interesting about my current consumption of olive oil (500ml week = 26 litres year = slightly less than 26kgs) is it's far in excess of the average per capita consumption for the top consuming olive oil country, Greece.

Greeks Still World's Top Olive Oil Guzzlers

And over double that of Italy or Spain. Most folks would consider these countries to be very high consumers of olive oil. I don't even regard my consumption as high. I could certainly use a lot more if I put my mind to it.

Total fat consumption in those countries is another matter.

Shop Now
    Most of my fat is cattle. I buy whole slabs of fat and render it, and put the crispy, delicious little remnants in whatever else I happen to be eating - salads, omelets, you name it. I have a VERY high intake of that fat bdw, probably more than what's good for me as I eat a handful of it daily, but it's just so delicious, filling, and cheap! Sometimes I even just bring it with me and eat it as a snack when I know I can't get a primal meal at my destination.