Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A fasting skeptic speaks... (A chapter of the nut-free saga) page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

A fasting skeptic speaks... (A chapter of the nut-free saga)

First of all, perhaps 'skeptic' isn't the word, as fasting isn't something I don't believe in, persay, just something that I've never found success or benefit in. Or felt good doing, at all.

So, as some of you know, for one month I have decided not to eat nuts because I'm a buffoon when it comes to eating pounds upon pounds of them every time I work (12 hour shifts Sat and Sun at a store that has a glorious bulk section). I have frozen all the nuts (and vacuum bagged, knowing that my laziness stops me from opening vacuum bags for having to re-vacuum them. HAH) in my flat, and the only challenge that remains is work. Well, in the second weekend since my big declaration, I fell face flat on my resolution and into a gigantic bin of roasted almonds, raw cashews, fat macadamias, brazil nuts, chocolate covered almonds, and finally pouches of pomegranate-vanilla flavored and bbq cheddar flavored cashews that my boss popped open for us to try. I mean, when I fall, I fall hard!

ANYHOW, that led to my 3rd attempt at an intermittent fast-- always on a Monday after work. The last two have been 18 hour fasts, broken early (from a 24 hour standpoint) and I was lethargic, unfocused, and weak through the duration until I couldn't stand it anymore. I would break the fast and with a whimper, begin eating whatever I first found in the fridge.

Today, 6:30 PM, and I haven't eaten since 10 PM last night. Heres the most monumental part:

It was a lifting day*, and I went through with it. And I knocked those weights through the roof. More weights, more reps, and with more speed than usual. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE DEAL IS!

But wow, wow, wow.

-写

*gimme a break, routine works for me

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    I am going to have to work up to trying this.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Since I quit IF'ing it has actually become easier for me to maintain my BF%, and all my lifts keep increasing at a high rate every session. Fasting is overrated IMO and has no place in a recreational powerlifter's diet. I'm mad I wasted so much time doing it.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Most people promote IFing on the grounds that it helps lose excess body fat, not that it improves lifting/other athletic performance. On the contrary I've heard a few sources indicate that raw athletic performance will likely be hampered while you IFing, but if your goal is to lose weight and not break PRs in the gym then I believe it's a good option. I think it is a very good tool for folks to use to lean out and reach their BF goals, then shift away from it once they intend to build significant muscle and improve performance.

I am doing it/have tried it in those instances where I go "OK, well, yesterday I ate two days worth of food in calories, I need a break."

-写

callherpetrol is offline Member
    i've noticed that when i eat all my day's food within a couple hours, i don't gain weight. when i eat breakfast, then lunch, and a couple snacks... i gain weight. neither of these types of days is with counting calories, and i'm a 5'7" 130 lb girl, mostly sedentary (yeah, i know)

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Since I quit IF'ing it has actually become easier for me to maintain my BF%, and all my lifts keep increasing at a high rate every session. Fasting is overrated IMO and has no place in a recreational powerlifter's diet. I'm mad I wasted so much time doing it.
    I have actually been considering IF'ing on Sundays, as that is my rest and recovery day from six days of crossfit. I was thinking of eating a huge breakfast... like 1500 calories and then not eating again until Monday.

What do you think? Pointless?

edit: If its even possible. I eat like 2500 - 3k calories most days so not doing that is probably going to be like getting shot in the stomach...

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I have actually been considering IF'ing on Sundays, as that is my rest and recovery day from six days of crossfit. I was thinking of eating a huge breakfast... like 1500 calories and then not eating again until Monday.

What do you think? Pointless?
    "recovery day from six days of crossfit"

You repair your body and grow on rest days, and you have refuel before the following six days. That being said, I would highly advise against it.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    "recovery day from six days of crossfit"

You repair your body and grow on rest days, and you have refuel before the following six days. That being said, I would highly advise against it.
    You make a good point, I probably wouldn't do much recovering if I had nothing for my body to use to recover with. I feel kind of stupid now.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I feel kind of stupid now.
    Happens to me a lot on these forums

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast