Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overweight, High Cholesterol, Athlete - My Journal page 2

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I know it is a complete mind-bender, but you really have to leave behind all the CW about how to lose weight. CW says saturated fats are unhealthy - PB says saturated fats from clean sources (ie organic or grassfed animals, coconuts) IS healthy. CW says the healthiest fats are unsaturated vegetable oils - PB says these are the most unstable, easily oxidized and damaging for the body. CW says eat less and exercise more to create a calorie deficit to lose weight - PB says eat way fewer carbs and exercise only enough to tirgger muscle and functional gain and just generally keep the body in some kind of easy movement for best effects on fat burning metabolism. Don't worry about counting calories, worry about counting carbs, even from healthy sources. Eat plenty of fat for satiety and optimal absorption of fat soluble vitamins. CW says you have to work hard to lose weight, exercise willpower, exercise a lot to burn off calories, deny yourself food when you are hungry, obey the calorie count not your body's needs, and just keep WORKING at it! This amounts to a whole lot of stress, which just increases cortisol which breaks down muscle and dumps glucose into the bloodstream, counteracting all your efforts to burn off more fat. PB says satisfy your hunger, get lots of rest and sleep, play, take it easy most of the time and subject yourself only to brief, intense periods of stressful exercise (sprinting or heavy resistance) 2-3 times a week. Do everything you can to increase happiness, enjoyment, relaxation, easy movement and activity, and sleep to rest the adrenals and allow your body to recompose itself into a healthy, fit, muscular state of being.

It is scary to trust this plan since we have all been programmed by CW to feel like we are going to end up fatter, with clogged arteries and an early grave if we go against what they have been telling us. Please, go read the success stories and view the before and after pictures on this site to give yourself the courage to embrace the whole plan - including eating butter on your veggies, the skin of chicken, and the tasty fat on your steaks or chops!

WTFOMGBBQ is offline Junior Member
    So by dipping my toe into the water of going away from a more standard american diet and experimenting with a high fat/protein low carb, all natural sources diet, and not moving directly into eating high fat meats, i'm not doing myself any good?

I won't lose weight and lower cholesterol, based up me staying away from high fat meats until i am more comfortable with the plan?

Barb is offline Senior Member
    If you can truly eat a high fat diet while avoiding polyunsaturated veg oils as well as saturated fats from meat, eggs, butter, and coconut oil, you probably will experience weight loss. You can substitute olive oil for butter for adding fat to vegetables, salads, and sauces. You can eat lots of avocados. There are a number of people on the forum who are primal but are keeping their saturated fat levels purposely lower than many here do. But you may find it is difficult to really eat a high fat diet while eating only lean protein sources.

The other thing you mention is your plan to eat high fat AND high protein. For weight loss, high fat, moderate protein works best. Any protein you eat above and beyond what your body requires for structural maintenance and repair is converted to SUGARS, so is equivalent to eating carbs. There is no storage depot for excess proteins like our fat storage, so what isn't needed immediately to create enzymes and repair muscles and organs is just burned as sugar. There are web sites where you can calculate approx high many grams of protein you need based on ht, wt, and build. Add in a few more after very intense workouts. Any more than that will work against your weight loss effort.

I am sure you will realize health benefits from cutting out processed foods, lowering carbs, and eliminating grains. HUGE ones. Everybody here is an experiment of one. We all benefit from hearing about others experiences and results. As they say in AA, take what you like and leave the rest. We are trying to be helpful, not judgmental. Start out in whatever way feels right to you, see how it works, how you feel, and keep us posted!

Hey Barb, thanks for the coaching.

Basically I will get my fats to keep my omega 3/6 ratio correct. Hemp seed and fish oil will be primary sources. cholesterol check at 6 weeks. At that point I wager I see an improvement and i will convert my dinner to a saturated fat based meal. retest, repeat. I will post weekly logs on my results

My hope is to eventually go crazy on saturated fats, but I'm going to go into that slow, testing every 6 weeks.

I guess I just don't like to go all the way on the first date...

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    It seems to me that you are probably already in very good shape. So your plans are a matter of degree, not trying to correct a real deficit in health or condition.

That said, I'd view apple juice as an exercise calorie source with great suspicion. Two things: caloric beverages tend to put on weight, because one's body doesn't gauge very well how much it has taken in. Plus, you can gulp down a lot of calories in a concentrated instantly available form very quickly, giving you an insulin spike.

Second, apple juice is quite high in fructose. You might enjoy this interview on Dr. Mercola's site, talking about the newly discovered science relating to fructose and uric acid and Syndrome X. If you want to eat apples, you should eat them whole, in my opinion.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...y-18-2010.aspx

Good luck.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFOMGBBQ View Post
    So by dipping my toe into the water of going away from a more standard american diet and experimenting with a high fat/protein low carb, all natural sources diet, and not moving directly into eating high fat meats, i'm not doing myself any good?

I won't lose weight and lower cholesterol, based up me staying away from high fat meats until i am more comfortable with the plan?
    Pretty much. Look, I lost over 90 pounds in less than a year eating PB - which meant a diet that was about 75% fat (and more than half of that was saturated fat), 20% protein, and minimal non-starchy carbs. I never counted calories, and I'm healthy as a horse. My cholesterol's improved, my blood sugar is normal, my IBS and migraines and arthritis went away completely. Dipping my toe in would not have made those things possible. You must jump in to the deep end of the pool and trust that you can swim, here.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

P.S. Do you have any real data proving that eating saturated fat raises cholesterol? The body makes the cholesterol it needs, which is always more than is taken in.

And, which kind of cholesterol does eating fatty meat raise? HDL is good, you want it very high. LDL, the "bad" cholesterol, is okay if it's the big fluffy type. That leaves only the little gritty type of LDL, which can enter artery walls, but my impression is that the little gritty type is formed from eating carbs, not fatty meats.

So, if you get a cholesterol test, unless it also tests which type of LDL you have, it's going to lead you astray and might alarm you unnecessarily. And it might give some ignorant doc a foothold toward trying to get you to take statins, which are highly dangerous, expensive, and unnecessary drugs. (Disabling the Krebs Cycle, reducing CoQ10, and blocking several other chemical pathways to treat a number could practically be the definition of Bad Medicine.)

Griff can tell you all about cholesterol, plus what kind of test you should ask for, so you get data instead of an anxiety attack.

I thank you both for your input, however I am going to start like this and work my way into it slowly. I'm just not brave enough to go in full force. If anything my log will be used to help others like me that are scared to see the process..

There's nothing at all wrong with doing something your own way.

Just don't get alarmed if you CAN'T get your cholesterol to "behave" by avoiding saturated fat and animal products. If you are basing your choices on mythology, even government-approved and long-established mythology, you will not get the results you have been led to expect. That's okay, so long as you realize that just "trying harder," when the whole effort is based on a mistaken theory, can do you a lot of harm.

If you can avoid panic when numbers are this or that, physically you will do a lot better. Even good eating can end up going wrong if you are full of cortisol and stress hormones. Think of it like this: you can behave like an unbiased scientist, capable of objective observation without being dedicated to one result at the expense of another. And if your initial trial isn't working for you, you can quietly try a different theory, and see how that goes.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started PB in February and my cholesterol was high and I was worried. I rode my bike across the USA in 07 and after that ride my cholesterol was higher than it ever had been and I was eating CW healthy fats along the way for the most part but I was eating grains then and some sugar in the form of gels and such. Oh, and some "Good and Plenty's" (I love that black licorice). To make a long story short I gave myself one month eating just as PB suggests including plenty "healthy" saturated fats from animal products. This included bacon and avocados and all the things I had not let myself eat in 20 years. I figured I had tried every CW diet/exercise plan there was and I was just getting sicker so what did I have to lose.

I was really worried that first 30 days but I told myself that no matter what I did for 30 days (except eating McDonalds the entire time, see Supersize Me) would kill me. When my bloodwork was checked after 30 days all my numbers were better. My doctor was curious and when I told her what I was doing she warned me that I was going to hurt myself eating this way even though my bloodwork was better. She was convinced it was bad since it was against all the CW she was used to. I would have stopped if my bloodwork had not been better.

Last month my blood work was much much better (cholesterol down 46 points) and my doctor was flabbergasted. The proof is in the numbers. If you read Griffs Cholesterol primer on this website you will have a better idea what good numbers mean. You cannot beat the kind of results I am having. I am losing weight very slowly though. Only 18 pounds so far but I don't care as long as I am getting healthier. I figure the weight went on slowly it should probably come off slowly also.
    Last edited by Classic; 07-21-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast