Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild mushrooms

Wild mushrooms

Shop Now
    I know there is a foraging thread somewhere but I can't find it. Anyway, I found this beauty today. It's a maitake(hen of the woods)mushroom.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Seriously jealous here... Nice find indeed.

You are so lucky!!! Maitake is my favorite mushroom, but it doesn't grow wild here.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    You are so lucky!!! Maitake is my favorite mushroom, but it doesn't grow wild here.
    That was my first one and I cooked it for dinner. I must say, it's my favorite now. Amazing texture and flavor. I'm gonna scour the woods this week and see if I can't get some to freeze for the winter.

Beautiful thing, I have never seen a fresh (not dried) maitake before!!!

Came across these today as well but I didn't pick any. I believe they're honey mushrooms but I'm not an expert and honeys have a couple dangerous look alikes. I'm gonna pick some tomorrow and do a spore print. I love mushrooms and really want to try these.

Found a dandy today. Probably about 5 or 6 lbs.

Scored this Bear's Head Tooth today as well.

Today's keep.

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    Scored this Bear's Head Tooth today as well.
    We call those Lion's Mane (Hericium erinaceus). Probably the most medicinal mushroom you will find!

Hericium erinaceus: an edible mushroom with medicinal values. - PubMed - NCBI
    Neurotrophic properties of the Lion's mane medicinal mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Higher Basidiomycetes) from Malaysia. - PubMed - NCBI
    Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane) mushroom extracts inhibit metastasis of cancer cells to the lung in CT-26 colon cancer-tansplanted mice. - PubMed - NCBI
    Hericium erinaceus mushroom extracts protect infected mice against Salmonella Typhimurium-Induced liver damage and mortality by stimulation of inna... - PubMed - NCBI

I like it sauteed lightly in butter, but as a head is usually too big for a meal, I find it dries very well in my dehydrator for later addition to stews/soups or simply rehydrated and sauteed. Goes great with scrambled eggs!

Good finds, all of them!
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

I'm a Vegan who eats meat, a Paleo who eats wheat, and I do fasts upon which you are allowed to eat.

Visit my blog: PotatoHack