Thread: Coconut Sugar

Red face Coconut Sugar

Shop Now
    I'm wondering what experience you folks have had with this sugar. I found a site that seems to give a pretty good overview of it:

http://www.naturesblessings.com.ph/cocosugar.htm

I'm wondering if it is OK to use with respect to insulin/blood sugar. I don't really have a sweet tooth, but want to make some baked goods using coconut flour and perhaps this sugar for friends/family.

Your thoughts will be welcome!
    Sheila

looks like anyother sugar to me. 1:1 glucose and fructose.
    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

There is significant difference in the GI with respect to others:

50 g of coconut sap sugar and glucose were fed in random order to 10 fasting human subjects
    After feeding, 0.3 - 0.4 ml blood samples were drawn, at 15min interval for 1 hour and every 30 min for the next min, serum separated and glucose level estimated using Clinical Chemistry Analyzer

with a GI of 35. This is comparable to apple and agave (which is considered safe for a diabetic).

Learn More
    fructose is typically what lowers the GI of sugars, although I can't quite make sense of their table, maybe it has a little more fructose then glucose. So, this sugar has a little higher fructose --- like apples and agave and HFCS. I try to avoid refined fructose because I like my liver.
    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.