Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going mad, want to kill parents page

Going mad, want to kill parents

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Right, ive come away on holiday and theres some really great foods. The problem is that as im underweight my parents are forcing me to eat carbs when i really dont want to. They dont understand the primal blueprint and i dont want to start a huge argument whilst im away.
    So far ive stuck with boiled white potatoes and had as few as possible. The only other carb option is white rice. Would this be better? Will my body lose its fat burning programming in this time?
    What can I do to limit the damage?
    Breakfast would have to be oats or rice with milk help!
    On top of this they wont let me go to the gym so im petrified that any carbs I eat will be stored as fat.
    Am I being irrational?
    I really need some help here because im going mad.
    I want to train and eat my way.

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    Can you get a doctor to attest that your weight is fine? is it? if you are very underweight, that needs to be addressed. the answer isnt to eat rice, but youcould up your fruit, dairy and nut intake as well as more veggies.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo Butterfly Boy View Post
    im underweight....my parents are forcing me to eat carbs when i really dont want to.....Will my body lose its fat burning programming in this time?....
    On top of this they wont let me go to the gym so im petrified that any carbs I eat will be stored as fat.....Am I being irrational?
    So, you're underweight and you're worried about your body losing it's ability to burn fat and you want to kill your parents for being concerned when it sounds like they have a very good reason to be....yes, you're being irrational. It sounds like you are just using the PB to help excuse some deeper issues with food/weight that you might have. And the PB does not mean a low carb diet (remember, up to 150g a day for healthy weight, active individuals) so there's no reason for it. You should listen to your parents and just replace oats and other grains with fruits and sweet potatoes, and a few white potatoes sound like they might be fine for you too. I'm thinking that your parents just want to see you eat, and eat carbs... so they would probably be fine with these substitutions unless there's some other reason they want you to eat grains that you didn't say.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    White rice is not that bad. If you are weight training than don't sweat it.

Just make sure it's not cooked in vegetable oil, and stay away from other grains, especially gluten ones.

I can totally understand your irritation with your parents though. I am the same way, but my mom doesn't mess with my food so it's all good.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast would have to be oats or rice with milk help!
    Tell 'em oats with milk isn't enough perhaps? They want you to eat more, don't they?

A bowl of oatmeal porridge with a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of honey is nice enough to eat and rich in B vitamins and several minerals. A glass of whole milk is no bad thing, either. But add a rasher or two of bacon or a couple of sausages, and you've got the makings of a decent breakfast there.

It's people who take the oatmeal without the butter, and drink skimmed milk instead of whole milk with it that are getting something that's not really adequate. They'd put butter on their bread, so why not on their porridge? And if you add some first-class protein, such as bacon, to the meal, it's OK.

Oatmeal becomes more digestible if it's pre-soaked or, preferably, lactic fermented. If they're insistent (perhaps mistakenly but for the best of reasons) that oats are necessary, can you negotiate for real oatmeal - as opposed to rolled oats - and soak it? Would they object to you making your own porridge?

The best oatmeal is the really coarse stuff like this:

http://www.mccanns.ie/

Take 40 g (1 and a half ounces) of that. Put it in a bowl with a tablespoon of whey, live yoghurt, or buttermilk (even lemon juice or vinegar will do in a pinch) and about 150 ml (5 fluid pounces) of warm, but not hot, water. Cover and leave to soak for at least 7 hours. That gets a lactic ferment going which deals with the substances in the oats that would otherwise complex minerals out of your body. (Everyone always used to soak porridge in the olden days: people just can't be bothered with the work nowadays.)

Anyway, the night before you want to eat it, put the pre-soaked oatmeal/water mix in a small pan and add another 150 ml (5 fl. oz.) of water. Bring it to the boil, then turn it down and simmer it, stirring occasionally for five minutes. Turn the heat out, put the lid on the pot and leave it. In the morning, add a pinch of seasalt, a little more water if necessary, break it up with a spoon and heat it up again. Because you cooked it the night before, it won't need a lot of cooking - just warming up.

Rice is similar to oats - it's best to use wholegrain (brown) rice and pre-soak it. But if it's got to be white rice, I wouldn't worry too much. Again, put a good lump of butter on it, and see if you can get some first-class protein as well as your oats or rice - meat, eggs, fish, whatever.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-19-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Talk to them and maybe make a 'deal'. Obviously it sounds like they are concerned that you are eating 'enough'. Let them know you will eat plenty of calories, but ask if they will let you eat calories your way. Ask for giant egg and bacon/sausage breakfasts. Eat plenty of meats and big salads with avocado and nuts and crumbled bacon and healthy oils. If they see you are eating plenty of 'calories', and you go about it from that approach, they will likely be less concerned. If you eat a salad with no fat and no protein for lunch, their radar is going to go off. But if you prove to them you are getting plenty of calories through other methods it will probably help.

I am not saying you should be counting calories or that salad lunches are bad in general.....BUT, when talking to your parents proving to them you eat high calorie foods might help them not stress over your lack of carbs and weight issue. They want to see you eat, they are concerned, so show them you are eating enough to help them agree to your food choices.

If they still insist on carbs, go for sweet potatoes and lower sugar fruits when possible (berries). White potatoes second, rice next, and grains as minimal as possible. You could have eggs, bacon, and maybe some potatoes cooked with lots of oils (bacon grease maybe?) for breakfast. Try to consume any carbs with plenty of healthy fats.

Lastly, deep breath, don't stress over it. If you go home for holiday and you have a week that is only 50% primal, its not a big deal. Ketosis only takes a day or two to get into, so when you get back home it will take no time at all to switch back over. Learning to deal with eating variables is a large part to 'lifestyle' eating. This is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. If you are stressing, you are in diet mode......and remember, stress raises cortisol levels, and that is not what you want. So relax as much as you can

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    The problem is that as im underweight
    Will my body lose its fat burning programming in this time?
    On top of this they wont let me go to the gym
    Am I being irrational?
    Yes. Read through the above a few times.

This is what an eating disorder does to a person.

I hope you're able to get some help soon so that you can see more clearly what's going on.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    OP, you don't mention your height, weight, or gender. (If I didn't miss them/it. That's the first thing to look at.

Second, you ARE at home and not independent. That means food is yet another matter of family discussion, doing, and budget. There is probably room for education and compromise. The alternative, of course, is leave home..........

If you are "underweight", why the hell are you concerned about fat burning, ketosis, and things that usually rear their heads forty years later?

Why not the gym? Most parents would be very happy. What aren't you telling us?

I'll second the eating disorder perspective. Maybe not full blown, clinical, but something's amiss.

I took the time to respond because as a teen I, too, was SKIN-nee. Six foot, three inches, 135 pounds. Finally looked good in my forties (195-205,) then overshot (290), now working my way back down to (close) that golden weight.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Yes. Read through the above a few times.

This is what an eating disorder does to a person.

I hope you're able to get some help soon so that you can see more clearly what's going on.

agreed

ouch.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast