Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival expert on too much lean meat page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Survival expert on too much lean meat

Primal Fuel
    Here's a video of survival expert Les Stroud in the Canadian Arctic.

He starts talking about the traditional food he's been given to take out on a survival exercise. That's from about 0:58 onwards

He says what'll happen if you're stuck in the arctic with only lean meat to eat:

"In about a week you will show signs of protein-poisoning ... in eight days diarrhoea begins ... a few weeks of that and you will die."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a4EKia3dnY

Nothing most people here didn't know probably. It's good to hear someone stating the importance of fat on a TV show, however.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Love Les Stroud! The man is amazing.
    I grok, therefore I am.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I remember an episode where he also spoke about rabbit hunger from eating only lean meat.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Robeil is offline Senior Member
    I love him that video was excellent, I am such a wuss I could never do that...

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Les is ma hero!

*sings theme music* dapper dapper dapper dapper

StillWild is offline Member
    Survivorman was an awesome show! It's too bad it was only 3 seasons. I think the Alaska episode from season 2 was my favorite, especially when he found the fiddlehead ferns. Yummy! Shame he wasn't stranded with a frying pan and some butter to go along with it!

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading about early American settlers dying of malnutrition because their main source of meat was (very lean) venison, and they became deficient in the essential fat-soluble nutrients.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, interestingly rabbit starvation is also coupled with low blood pressure and heart rate. I remember reading here on MDA forums people talking about very low heart rate and blood pressure. I mentioned myself I had a very low resting pulse at around 50, but my blood pressure is normal at around 120/80. Maybe people here on MDA with low BP and pulse is in a mild state of rabbit starvation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StillWild View Post
    Survivorman was an awesome show! It's too bad it was only 3 seasons.
    He's currently working on another series that is due out pretty soon I think.

He's from just a couple hours south of where I live. This man knows how and has truly lived off the land with his family. Not too many people these days would be brave enough to try that.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post
    I remember reading about early American settlers dying of malnutrition because their main source of meat was (very lean) venison, and they became deficient in the essential fat-soluble nutrients.
    I've seen a similar story with regard to early American explorers (Army people, I think). I can't recall where - possibly in America as Seen by Its First Explorers: The Eyes of Discovery

http://www.amazon.com/America-Seen-I...dp/0486260313/

They took large quantities of muscle meat - then, as now, seen as the luxury cuts. I guess north-west European (and hence American) cooking of those days would have included butter and fat-rich suet puddings and so on. But if you were further from civilization, you'd need to realize that that butter, suet, etc. needed to be replaced by something else in some form - caribou back-fat and kidney fat, buffalo fat, whatever.

As you say, you become deficient in fat-soluble vitamins (specifically vitamin A). It becomes particularly problematic, because you need A to deal with the extra, above-needs protein. From that point of view, it would be better to eat more carbohydrate - but that's not always easily available further north.

Stefansson said that when in northern Canada he'd run out of lean meat and had only seal oil (and some scraps of leather clothing) to eat. He'd also been in the position of running out of fat and only having lean meat to eat. He said you wouldn't want to be in either position, and in either case you start to go downhill fairly rapidly after a few days, but having no fat is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestoclimb View Post
    This man knows how and has truly lived off the land with his family. Not too many people these days would be brave enough to try that.
    Sbowshoes and Solitude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4_fteTJQ_Q

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast