Thread: Protein, Fat, Sleep

Protein, Fat, Sleep

Shop Now
    Is it better to be heavier on protein or fat at dinner with an idea towards sleep?
    I do try to eat the majority of my carbs at dinner with that in mind. But obviously want some protein and some fat with each meal.
    I try to get two meals with at least 30 g of protein in order to increase the lucein intake and build muscle (due to health issues, I've lost muscle, and yes, health issues are being addressed by doctors). The third meal has less protein and to maintain caloric intake I bump up fat at that meal. Is it better to have the higher fat/lower protein meal as lunch or dinner with an eye toward sleep?
    Since I'm sensitive to both nuts and dairy, most of my fat is coconut oil or from the fatty meats.

Protein synthesis occurs during sleep so evening meals, higher in protein, are my preference.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Thank you very much! That is helpful to know! I heard once that protein keeps you awake--any truth to that? But then, since I've heard coconut oil is such a great source of energy, would that interfere with sleep more than protein? I do go heavier on the carbs at night, but need something to balance for blood sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by grae_bird View Post
    Thank you very much! That is helpful to know! I heard once that protein keeps you awake--any truth to that? But then, since I've heard coconut oil is such a great source of energy, would that interfere with sleep more than protein? I do go heavier on the carbs at night, but need something to balance for blood sugar.
    Digestion might keep someone awake and since protein takes longer to digest, putting a little time of 2-3 hours between last food and sleep solves the issue.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Shop Now
    I suppose it ultimately depends on you. If consuming large amounts of protein or heavier pieces of protein at night is causing you to have digestive issues and ultimately preventing you from sleep, it's time to scale back. The same applies with carbs, if your finding restricting yourself of carbs before bed is causing sleeping issues, it's time to add in a bit of carbs before bed. Find whatever it is that puts you at ease for the night that helps you sleep.

Keep in mind though, I believe most of the time it's recommended to have protein before bed.. hell even body builders seem to chug protein shakes before bed AND get up in the middle of the night sometimes to chug another. I suppose there is a method to their madness as John said protein synthesis occurs during sleep.