Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brace yourselves: it's Pumpkin Everything season!

Brace yourselves: it's Pumpkin Everything season!

Shop Now

It's September, which means it's basically autumn here in New England and pumpkin flavored everything are out on the shelves.

What's your favorite pumpkin-y or autumn-inspired recipe? I haven't made anything yet, but Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter is AMAZING for a treat. Could be awe-inspiring on a pumpkin bread or something like that.

Also: what's your favorite pumpkin alcoholic beverage? I've tried 3 pumpkin ales so far this season: Shipyard Pumpkinhead ale, Pumple Drumpkin Spice Ale, and Jack-O Traveler Shandy. Pumpkinhead is hit or miss every year. Sometimes it's better cold, sometimes better at room temp. The spices aren't quite right for me this year. I can't remember which one I liked better between the other too, but one was perfect IMO. 5/5 pumpkins on my personal pumpkin rating system. It was a bit sweet, with plenty of spice. The other tasted more like a wheat beer with some pumpkin spices, a bit more bitter and less impressive. I'm just not sure which was which anymore!

Please feel free to share pumpkin-y memes as well. I know this thread is better suited for the Recipe forum, but Nutrition is more active

(yes this is my favorite season)
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

No offense, namelesswonder, but I gage at the thought of anything pumpkin flavored except pie.

I know, I'm plain jane
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    No offense, namelesswonder, but I gage at the thought of anything pumpkin flavored except pie.

I know, I'm plain jane
    Any particular flavors that you find yourself veering towards this time of year? Non-pumpkin flavors welcome too!

I guess it's more the spice than the actual pumpkin that I like so much, but I've always been a little fanatical about it.
    Journal

Depression Lies

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    What's your favorite pumpkin-y or autumn-inspired recipe?
    I get large bags of this stuff at the nearby Penzeys and use liberally on yogurt, tropical starches*, peaches, apples, coffee grounds, and (occasional) arrowroot crepes or coconut milk ice cream.

*surprisingly good on roasted breadfruit, plantains, Japanese or Hawaiian sweet potatoes
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

My wife makes an amazing pumpkin cheesecake for thanksgiving each year! Does it gluten free for more to enjoy

Local Meijers has a witches brew red wine that is seasonal that we like a lot. http://www.leelanaucellars.com/wine_fun.html

I have had the shock top pumpkin wheat and the Sam Adams pumpkin ale. Liked the shock top better. Both quite tasty, though I switch to more of a stout drinker when cold weather comes in.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-15-2015 at 10:19 AM.

picklepete, that spice mix looks perfect! I should pick some up and try it in hot chocolate.

Neck, you know I don't think I've ever had pumpkin cheesecake! I should definitely change that. Wow, that wine sounds great (though not for me, wine gives me a headache).

I tried the UFO pumpkin ale last night, probably people who like hoppy beer would like this. I prefer sweeter beers to hoppy, so that would obviously shape my preferences quite a bit.
    Journal

Depression Lies

My wife makes an amazing pumpkin cheesecake for thanksgiving each year! Does it gluten free for more to enjoy
    Can I entice you to share the recipe? Cheesecake is my absolute favorite dessert, and I'd love to try my hand at a gluten-free pumpkin cheesecake!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Any particular flavors that you find yourself veering towards this time of year? Non-pumpkin flavors welcome too!

I guess it's more the spice than the actual pumpkin that I like so much, but I've always been a little fanatical about it.
    Now you're talkin'! I do love warm spice mixes in the fall and winter. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. Cloves and orange together. Hot cider on a crisp evening...

Oh! Mulled wine. Yes, please! And I do like pumpkin cheesecake cuz it kinda reminds me of pumpkin pie with lots of whipped cream on it

Learn More
    Pumpkin soft serve is about as far as I go. Maybe some pumpkin "pancakes" (pumpkin puree + eggs). I usually like more savory dishes than sweet dishes with the exception of sorbet/ice cream/gelato/etc. these days. I like butternut squash as a replacement for most things related to pumpkin (including pumpkin pie).