Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey VS maple syrup page

marktripp is offline Senior Member

Honey VS maple syrup

Primal Fuel
    I notice in the cookbook some recipe's call for one or the other. Would the honey be the better choice due to it being less refiened?

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    It's a matter of taste. Less refine doesn't make it any better, sugar is sugar, just use it sparingly.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    there's also the option of agave nectar. still sugar but it has a low glycemic index and doesn't make such a mess of one's blood sugar levels (if that's an issue for you).

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    How does the agave nectar compare taste-wise? I LOVE honey, but don't use it. Would like to start once I'm ok with my carb count going up a little bit.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just go with taste and assume it's equally bad for you, that's my approach at least. But what PB friendly foods need maple syrup anyhow?

tarek is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, honey tastes far better than agave nectar. Commercial agave nectar is also a highly processed sweetener; it has a higher fructose content than high fructose corn syrup.

MGV
    MGV is offline Junior Member
    My rule of thumb is the same for sugar as it is for fats. If it is runny at room temperature it is good for you. If it is hard at room temperature then it should be used sparingly or avoided completely and replaced with a healthier choice. Your heart and arteries with thank you.

Vicki

Bowa41 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    My rule of thumb is the same for sugar as it is for fats. If it is runny at room temperature it is good for you. If it is hard at room temperature then it should be used sparingly or avoided completely and replaced with a healthier choice. Your heart and arteries with thank you.

Vicki
    This would pretty much exclude all the good highly saturated fats....coconut oil, lard, tallow, etc. I don't know that you can apply this as a general rule across the board, at least for fats.

MGV
    MGV is offline Junior Member
    Coconut oil is runny and lard it not your friend.

grandma is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post

Vicki
    Forget this advice it is too confusing. Stay away from seed oils and hydrogenated oils. Enjoy animal fats and non-seed oils (coconut, olive, avacado....)

Avoid adding sugar in any form.
    Last edited by grandma; 07-19-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast