Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Success Rates for Weight Loss?

Primal Success Rates for Weight Loss?

Shop Now
    I posted over on my Journal a long, rambling (too long, too rambling...) post about 2% success rates in losing weight. This came from some recent newspaper articles that quoted some numbers - not any particular diets analysed, just overall "lost the targeted weight and kept it off" statistics. They showed about 2% of men (a little higher for women) achieved their definition of "success".

We probably all trust and think and believe (and really want to trust and think and believe) that Primal is better than the rest.

So I want to know: how can we prove it?

I don't know many statistics or studies or data that could help...

I did one calculation: MDA Forum has over 158,000 registered members.
    Mark has published c. 260 Success Stories.
    That's 0.2% of MDA members with a Success Story published.

Some of the members will be duplicates.
    Some of the success stories don't relate to weight loss.
    There will be success stories out there among the members that haven't been published (but if you've got it, flaunt it, right? so how many?)

Or: About 500 people gave the book a 5* rating on Amazon.
    How many copies sold? Anyone know how to find that? Mark?

What's the real success rate? Any ideas?
    Any ideas how we could find out? I'm working on the principle it would be great to find out...for all of us.

Ping a short message if you are a success story (weight loss) and whether you have/haven't been published...Maybe from that we could at least extrapolate on the forum members?

Sounds like a lot of work for a number that would not end up being better than a guesstimate....

But count me a success if it helps you with the extrapolation. Reached my body comp goals and continue to maintain or improve on them for past several years.

I did not reach my goal using Primal by the book, but it got me started on the path that is taking me there. I suspect that is a common story. So not the total solution, but by no means a failure like say "The grapefruit diet" or Dr. Oz's Acai Diet Booster Program.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Thanks Neckhammer - and have you been published on MDA as a Success story?

I appreciate the caution...I'm a data junkie though, so feel like I need to know. My evenings sitting in a hotel restaurant on my own can be spent collating the data for the greater good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I did not reach my goal using Primal by the book, but it got me started on the path that is taking me there. I suspect that is a common story. So not the total solution, but by no means a failure like say "The grapefruit diet" or Dr. Oz's Acai Diet Booster Program.
    Thanks magnolia - I guess I have to count a "not yet" answer as a "no" but I look forward to an updated response in the future when you get there...

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinTheMoose View Post
    Thanks Neckhammer - and have you been published on MDA as a Success story?

I appreciate the caution...I'm a data junkie though, so feel like I need to know. My evenings sitting in a hotel restaurant on my own can be spent collating the data for the greater good!!!
    lol. No, I think you will find that not many of the successes actually publish a story. Mine is just the standard sort of success that I think 90% of people can expect. Lean out a bit and get healthier. I wasn't in dire straights so just dropping 15lbs then replacing with muscle and sit around 15%BF. Not underwear model thin and ready for a GQ shoot....which isn't healthy anyhow.

The forum in general is a crosssection of peoples that are either totally new or who did not achieve their goals, with a few success and intellectuals thrown in. As such its going to likely give a false lower rate of success. In the population as a whole I expect most people have success, and as such don't bother with this forum or give another thought to the website.

Agree with Neckhammer, though even "official statistics" are no more than guesses when you get right down to it either...

I'd count myself among the successes, but I would count that even if I didn't get to my initial "goal" (which I have, and more), as the more important lesson I've learned from PB is the larger picture of health. Around 80lbs lost, and I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life coming into my mid-30s.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (Sept 2015): 200
    CBF: 17% (Scale)

I don't take pictures of myself, so I can't ever be a success story.

I'm at the best point of my life so far, and some say I look like a success story without seeing what I looked like before (maybe they owe me money).

But I certainly have a lot of room for improvement. My body comp is better than it was, but I'm after that stellar body comp that my genetics just probably shake their head at. Nobody will mistake me for an underwear model any time soon. But before that happens I need to learn to wear underwear

Thanks magnolia - I guess I have to count a "not yet" answer as a "no" but I look forward to an updated response in the future when you get there...
    well, Primal isn't what is getting me there right now. BUT it started fundamental changes that make what I am doing now work. Does that make sense? I think because Primal is a lifestyle with some very smart over-arching principles that it probably helps a lot more people than most diets ever will. There are a lot of plans out there that simply offer some refinement of primal eating that work better to get rid of vanity weight.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Shop Now
    There's really no way to tell. Some people found success and stopped bothering to come to the forums. Other people found that primal doesn't work for them and they also stopped coming to the forums. Even more others were banned because... yeah.

Primal as written didn't work for me. However, I incorporated the whole foods-based concept into my daily routine and I'm thankful for that portion of paleo/primal, and for getting me to stop feeling guilty about eating meat. I have always loved meat as a kid but thought that veggies/minimal animal products was the way to go in my quest for health. Now I've realized that the answer is more complex than that and likely somewhere between eating 3lbs of steak every day and being almost vegetarian.