Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SheGlowsPale's Journal page

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member

SheGlowsPale's Journal

Primal Fuel
    I wish I could have thought of a wittier title for this journal, but I couldn't. I decided it was time to make one - I need to hold myself accountable..and maybe a few other people can help me along the way too. I told myself I'd make a journal when I took new progress photos but I'm just not ready for that yet (full body photos still scare the bejesus out of me.)

I guess I'll start with my story..

Im 28 years old (soon to be 29...ahhh.) I live in the bronx. At the age of 17 I gained over 100lbs in less then 2 years (oh what a fantastic age to turn into a "fat girl"). About 2 years after that I was diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin Resistance. yay!

My endocrinologist suggested I lower my carbs..I did..I lost a bunch of weight. My heaviest was 273lbs and I think the lowest I got down to during that point was 199lbs. But being the first time ever dieting I just didn't get what I was really doing, and what I had to continue to do...Id never dieted in my life, I'd never exercised in my life...i didn't come from a family that ever exercised or ate healthy..so I just kind of didn't realize I had to continue doing this or I'd gain it all back..and fast. And of course thats what happened. I went back up to about 240lbs.

Then 4 years ago I decided I couldn't do this anymore - I was so unhappy with myself..I decided to give South Beach a try and I cut my grains down to 1 grain a day and again, I did fantastic on it. I also started doing interval training cardio...In 2 years I went from about 230lbs to 155-160lbs..

However, the last 2 years have been absolute hell for me. I started to visit fitness forums and was told over and over that I was wrong for low graining...that I needed to know the difference between good carbs and bad carbs and good fat and bad fat...which is true..however, their idea of good carbs is what wrecked the last 2 years of my diet. I forced down ww pasta and brown rice and oatmeal (if i never have to see another bowl of oatmeal I will die happy) and quinoa (revolting.)..and absolutely killing myself with workouts like p90x..and guess what? no results. NOTHING. I'm not knocking P90X, its a good program and Tony Horton is the shit however I believe the amount of grains I was putting in completely counteracted all hard work I put in.

I guess the one thing I can say for it is I NEVER gave up. I think it was more out of fear then strength but whatever the reason, I kept going.

So after 2 grueling years full of real sweat and tears for nothing (actually I GAINED 7lbs of fat!) I told CW to go screw itself, I'm going back to low carb.

I blame grains for 2 years of pure hell. And myself really. I should have fucking known since I'm Insulin Resistant and even my Endo told me to cut that shit out. WTF.

So in May I mentioned on a fitness forum that I was going to get all my carbs from vegetables and fruit..nothing else. and I got a lot of "thats unrealistic and unhealthy" responses (unrealistic? really? because obsessive calorie counting is? I swear calorie counting leads to mental disorders)

But one girl mentioned that that is what she does and its the best decision she ever made and that she was doing PB...I immediately started doing my research and here I am. 4 months strong..lost the 7lbs I gained during CW and also lost 8lbs more. I love this. My body loves this. I feel fucking amazing.
    Last edited by SheGlowsPale; 07-19-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Wow, that was really long introduction..no one is probably even going to read it.

Thought I'd posts my stats:

Start - 5'6" 167lbs
    As of July 6th - 152lbs
    Goal - I'm not sure...I want to say around 140lbs..but it really depends more on proportion and muscle and how I feel more then actual scale weight.

I like the way Cillakat does her journal so I'm stealing it

Today:

1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants.
    No breakfast
    Lunch - ground beef, eggs, and tomato. (one of the easiest, quickest, cheapest, filling meals I make..thats why it's all I really ate today)
    No dinner
    Snack - handful of almonds..and like 3 cups of coffee with a small amount of heavy cream. (I haven't had any splenda in a month, I'm pretty proud of that!)

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
    6+ hours of fast paced retail.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Today was sprints day..I was going to do some upper body lifting but it fits better into my schedule tomorrow.

4. Run really fast every once in a while.
    Check! 10 minutes of Tabata sprints. DONE.

5. Get lots of sleep.
    about 9 hours. I really like sleep.

6. Play.
    I played tug of war with the doggie today...I think I definitely got more of a workout then he did. His energy is endless.

7. Get some sunlight every day.
    A little on my lunch break but its so humid here Im not feelin it at all right now.

8. Avoid trauma.
    Definitely!

9. Avoid poisonous things.
    I quit smoking exactly a week ago so finally after 12 years I can say YES to this.

10. Use your mind.
    I try.
    Last edited by SheGlowsPale; 07-19-2010 at 12:39 AM.

couchie is offline Member
    You go girl, good on you. I am interested in following your journey
    so keep posting.

Sungrazer is online now Senior Member
    Excellent! Been waiting for your journal to "come out" Glad to see you so happy with PB and that it works for you. Reading your introduction (yes, I read it all. ) it must be such a relief to finally feel at "home".

Keep on grokkin'!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Thanks couchie and Sungrazer! Ahhh...love that you called it "home", definitely feels that way finally!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Glad to see you're finally posting one of these. Don't forget to kick your shoes off....
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
    Wow, that was really long introduction..no one is probably even going to read it.
    Incorrect.

Congrats on ditching the smokes, thats a hard one.

naiad - Shoes? I never wear those things. :P

MeatMe - Yea, I've told everyone I know I quit to help keep me completely accountable. I think I will be ok but being a 1/2 pack to a pack a day smoker for 12 years its definitely a drastic change for me. I want it out of my life, I want it out of my system..I truly hope I can stick to it.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
    ..I truly hope I can stick to it.
    Keep sprinting, Im sure your lungs will thank you

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    bravo on the no smoking! congrats on the progress also. your pics are amazing! hard to believe those were you. stay active if you want to give up ciggs for good. i replaced the gym with smokes almost 2 yrs. ago, never looked back. good luck sweetie;-)

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast