Thread: Cod Liver Oil page

invino77 is offline Senior Member

Cod Liver Oil

Shop Now
    Another query - I know there is controversy about CLO - I was taking for about a month this spring - until I read allt he controversy, but during that month I felt particularly high energy. I dont feel that energy nwo that I am only taking regular fish oil. I am thinking about going back to the CLO - but I am worreid about all the questionalbel negative effects etc. Anyone have any reliable info?

shannon is offline Senior Member
    look, clo is a great addition to a primal diet. some say to avoid it in the summer bec. vit d content. i believe the experts who say it's still nearly impossible to obtain enough vit. d from the sun even in summer. go back to what your body wants. i am taking reg fish oil now and am going out tomorrow to buy me some clo! it's cheaper too:-) check out green pastures clo. it's high vit. so you take less at a time. they also have other great products such as butter oil. apparently these two products taken together are magical for all kinds of ailments. check out weston a. price. there are plenty of articles on this. don't worry about the nay sayers. your body knows what it needs:-)

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what controversy you are referring to, but CLO is a fabulous way to start the day. You get Vit A along with Vit D, a necessary balance, plus all those omega 3's. Get back on board!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    I don't know what controversy you are referring to, but CLO is a fabulous way to start the day. You get Vit A along with Vit D, a necessary balance, plus all those omega 3's. Get back on board!
    I'm definitely one with a strong opinion on CLO. Honestly, I think it's fine as long as one watches the A to D ratios.

Carlson is probably that best for that.

If you're taking only fish oil, you need D and *occasionallly* some A.

If you're taking CLO, you need to 1) be sure it's not a high A oil and 2)be sure you're getting enough D and not too much A

I use a 1:6 ratio of A to D (after 7 years of experimenting and tracking various issues).
    WAPF uses 2:1 A to D with regard for weight.
    Cannell (vitamin d council) says very little A - 300 IU for adults, less for kids and D3 at approx 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight.

The WAPF recommendation just isn't supported by any possibility that could have existed in an evolutionary environment. We just wouldn't have had that much daily A. Anywhere.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

various foods of primitive people included liver of sea and land animals, animal fats such as seal oil, candle fish oil and butter from grass-fed animals, and other rich sources such as fish eggs and fish heads plus insects(all excellent sources of vit. a). invino 77: you will find a whole lot of controversy on the subject so i recommend doing your research. honestly i find that i feel much better when i take it too:-)
    Last edited by shannon; 07-20-2010 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    various foods of primitive people included liver of sea and land animals, animal fats such as seal oil, candle fish oil and butter from grass-fed animals
    absolutely. In ratio to the rest of the animals organs (all of them) and usually the blood as well, and all of the muscle meat.

Separating out the oil from the liver and eating that daily (and tossing the rest of the animal) would not have been a paleolithic possibility. All of the animal would be consumed every time.

Again, it's all about ratios of A and D.

i think you need to be careful about the brand of clo you choose. a lot of companies are removing these vit. and adding them back later making for a crazy a to d ratio. your body knows exactly what to do with these vit. when they come to us in a natural form(no synthetic vit) and in a perfect ratio.
    i personally don't take any other supplements so i don't worry about excessive vit. a. it's a different story for someone who supplements on a daily basis though.

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    Hi again, Thanks for this info. I found a brand that is out of Canada - Jamieson. I live in italy so there arent many choices ( not ina small city at least), and i looked on line and htey seem pretty strict about theri purity and have a 360 traceability policy etc. The ratios are these:
    Each capsule contains:
    Cod Liver Oil (Gadus morhua)……………………300 mg
    Providing:
    Omega-3 fatty acids
    EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)………………………..27 mg
    DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)……………………….30 mg
    Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate).......375 mcg RAE / 1250 IU
    (From Cod Liver Oil)
    Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)……………..10 mcg / 400 IU
    (From Cod Liver Oil and Cholecalciferol)

So it seems the A comes from the CLO as the D and with some cholecalciferol. But there is less D than A....is this OK? Or shoudl I continue to search? And then, when I do take it, shoudl I take it with Butter? I read all about butter fat activating the D or someting on Weston Price. Help! ?

Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    Hi again, Thanks for this info. I found a brand that is out of Canada - Jamieson. I live in italy so there arent many choices ( not ina small city at least), and i looked on line and htey seem pretty strict about theri purity and have a 360 traceability policy etc. The ratios are these:
    Each capsule contains:
    Cod Liver Oil (Gadus morhua)……………………300 mg
    Providing:
    Omega-3 fatty acids
    EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)………………………..27 mg
    DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)……………………….30 mg
    Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate).......375 mcg RAE / 1250 IU
    (From Cod Liver Oil)
    Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)……………..10 mcg / 400 IU
    (From Cod Liver Oil and Cholecalciferol)

So it seems the A comes from the CLO as the D and with some cholecalciferol. But there is less D than A....is this OK? Or shoudl I continue to search? And then, when I do take it, shoudl I take it with Butter? I read all about butter fat activating the D or someting on Weston Price. Help! ?
    This is exactly what is wrong with most cod liver oil - little to no dha/epa, some d, too much A.

The first thing to remember is that if it's molecularly distilled, it's pure. Period. There is no risk of contaminants or heavy metals. It is impossible based on the process.

If you're dead set on cod liver oil, take Carlsons cod liver oil - the liquid, not the caps. The caps have the screwy A to D ratio. iherb will ship it to you in Italy at *very very* reasonable cost. my sil lives in firenze and orders supplements for her and for the kids from iherb.com

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-No...0-ml/2798?at=0

One-2 tsp are probably enough in terms of A consumption. For more info on D needs, see my D doc below and read everything you can at vitamindcouncil.org

You will have to add additional D and may also need additional fish oil (not clo) liquid or caps based on your own personal needs.

I fairly meticulously offset my Ω6 intake 1:1 with dha/epa and try for 6:1 D to A ratio. Both of those things mean i can't use cod liver oil exclusively or it'll muck up my ratios.

Oh, and taking it with food is fine. No need for butter specifically at the same meal.

Best,
    Katherine