Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skin? page 2

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    dairy seems to keep my skin oily with acne.
    bye bye dairy!
    Last edited by shannon; 07-19-2010 at 12:03 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Better skin, but I've always had ok skin. I have a deeper tan than I have had in years, as a result of trying to get sun, having the summer off, and not burning nearly as badly as I used to. Oh, the pick is pre-primal though. I look pretty different now.
    I don't use any moisturizers or creams, I try to shave w/just water after showering usually.

doctorp82 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys, this is a help. I am hoping for smaller pores and less oily skin. I am poking my wife this direction because she has dry skin and is concerned about aging but is an admitted sugar junkie.

Kitana, do you know where that article is?

kitana is offline Senior Member
    http://pals2u.tripod.com/id24.html

This isn't the exact article, but Dr Perricone is a fairly respeced and well-known dermatologist and he is quite explicit about the effects of sugar on skin (even hidden sugar). As much as I love the less obvious effects of eating primal - I freakkin' love what it does for my skin.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Less clogged pores, less black heads, less full blown pimples. More moist, softer. Less razor rash ... I'm really happy about that!
    I've always had horrible elbows and even they are soft and smooth.

Because you asked, I checked my feet. They're softer too. I was beginning to think I'd have to start having them professionally sand-blasted

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    I've always had problem skin, redness, oiliness, dry patches, lots of (cystic) acne. Some of this is probably because I'm finally hitting a hormonal balance and coming out of puberty.

1. Are you oilier or drier skinned? I'm a bit on the oily side still.
    2. More even complected/more tan/less red flushed I'm fairly even toned now as well, very slight redness in the cheeks.
    3. More/less irritated skin? MUCH less irritated skin.
    4. Any positive changes in skin? Absolutely, usually only 0-5 spots instead of 40+
    5. What caused it? Eating better, more sleep, more sun, better hormonal balance all around.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    No more acne. Skin looks 5 years younger (I am 53). I used to get an aged look when I tanned, now I am tan but still have soft, smooth looking skin. I only use coconut oil on my face, arms, and hands now. Skin is softer to touch. My eyes used to be dry and irritated easily. Now they are moist and comfortable.

doctorp82 is offline Junior Member
    Besides coconut oil, what does anyone do for skin care? Other than watch their diet of course.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I never use soap on my face, just warm/hot water on a wash rag, and then coconut oil. Works beautifully!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorp82 View Post
    Thanks guys, this is a help. I am hoping for smaller pores and less oily skin. I am poking my wife this direction because she has dry skin and is concerned about aging but is an admitted sugar junkie.
    BTDT got the sticker. And the damage to show for it. lol I know it's not apparent in the pic (which is from the beginning of June) but it's real. Via AGEs, sugar consumption damaged my skin in ways it wouldn't otherwise be damaged.

My links below may have some helpful evidence based info for your wife. I used to participate very heavily in the makeupalley.com skincare forum and looooove to talk skin.

Rx retinoids are the gold standard in anti-aging (see the cochrane review on this).

This most important things she can do, probably in order:
    •maintain a very low (healthfully so) BMI
    •eschew dietary sugar
    •adopt a produce dominated diet with plenty of saturated fat and moderate protein (ie primal blueprint)
    •meticulous sun avoidance (at least on face/neck/hands): highest ppd european sunscreen that she can obtain/tolerate applied at proper use rates (1/4 tsp for face and neck each), gloves, close fitting wrap sunglasses, hat with 5"+ brim
    •daily rx retinoids to tolerance (my favorite is tazorac cream....use short contact therapy or extremely diluted dosing if needed for tolerance)
    •topical ascorbic acid serum (see my links for inexpensive stable brands)

Now that there is emerging evidence that UV benefits us in ways that D supps alone do not, I have made the difficult (for me) decision to get some real sun, in a bikini, at least twice a week during the summer. Because I want as much D as I can possibly get while taking the damaging UV hit to my skin, I do this only at noon and in the smallest amount of clothing possible. I do keep my forearms and hands covered and my face and neck slathered in highly UVA protective European sunscreen, and I cover my face and neck either with my hat or a peice of sun protective clothing.

The rest of the day, I dress like a freak....seriously. I wear a long sleeved sun protective jacket or at least long sleeves, the aforementioned gloves, and a hat not unlike this but 6" instead of 7" brim.

Most of the visible facial aging we see prior to age 60-70 is sundamage. I can't remember where I read that but it was backed up by sound science. Kligman? Maybe Bauman? I can't recall.

Anyway, feel free to send her my links below. They were all done in haste and aren't as polished as I'd like but as my dear and wise husband says, 'perfection is the enemy of good enough'. And they're good enough. For now. lol

Katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 07-23-2010 at 12:27 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast