Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: craving sweet things page

Unhappy craving sweet things

Shop Now
    ok,I'm now 9 days into the primal blueprint 21 day challenge and I'm craving sweetness. So far I've resisted sugar, but tonight I got out a jar of organic peanut butter and I ate about 4 spoonfuls ( would have eaten more but that was all that was left in the jar due to purge on Day 1!!) I really don't want to blow this (hope to lose some weight) At the moment I don't feel any lighter but I've banned myself from the scales for 21 days. Generally I'm eating eggs, meat, cheese. cooking in butter and coconut oil adding in salad and low carb veggies/avocados plus one portion of fruit (berries/cherries). So not hungry but dreaming of chocolate, cakes, desserts!!! Need some advice!!

Urja is offline Senior Member
    If you used to eat a lot of sweet foods before, then a change to eating much less will take some adjustment. Allow yourself a nice piece of fruit and maybe eat some sweeter vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes (yummy with cinnamon!) to let yourself enjoy sweet tastes, but other than that you'll just have to wait it out. Dark chocolate is a perfectly healthy thing in small amounts but probably won't satisfy your candy cravings.

One tip, in my personal opinion: Get rid of the nut butter until you have beaten your cravings. Otherwise you may spend a lot of time overeating it...

lol, yes I could eat jars of the stuff! I'd love to eat dates but carbs are pretty high in them. Will try the sweet potatoes with cinnamon, nice one

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    If you indulge in sweets, then certainly choose healthier options like the sweet potatoes, but remember they aren't necessarily low carb. A temporary increase of protein early in the day will quell some of that craving. I am an avowed sugar addict and my experience was that if I satisfied the craving with alternative sweet, the craving intensified. If you yield to the sweet craving, however, be sure to keep the fats away at the same time. Higher protein was my cure.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Will try to increase the protein first, honestly I'm dreaming that I'm tucking into to a huge chocolate bar and then feel so guilty, quite a relief to wake up and know I've not blown it!!!

Always favour fresh fruit over dry.

When I suggest you eat sweet veg, I don't mean at the expense of focusing on proper meals. I just mean eat them with your meals. It seems to me that you need to get used to eating less sweet stuff. In time, your tastebuds will adapt. You will find sugar sweetened foods overly sweet and really enjoy biting into an apple as if it was candy!

Orange is offline Senior Member
    No matter how full I feel after a meal, I always end up fantasising about a jam donut with chocolate icing from Donut King. It is so annoying!! Anyhow, when the craving is bad to the point where I am close to putting on my coat so I can hit the shops to buy the donut (or some other sweet treat), I reach for some kind of protein to 'fill the gap' - usually chicken or cans of sardines, salmon or tuna. It tends to work. I would much rather over-eat on protein than succumb to the sweet craving.

i read an interesting thing that sweet foods are less satisfying when we are really hungry...not sure how it relates to this particular dilemma, but somehow I thought of it.

Orange is offline Senior Member
    It is interesting that you write that Urja, as I have noticed that I only ever find myself desperate for sweet food after a sound paleo meal of meat and vegetables. Whereas when I am hungry, I find myself desperate for that paleo meal of meat and vegetables rather than sweet foods.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by John Caton View Post
    If you indulge in sweets, then certainly choose healthier options like the sweet potatoes, but remember they aren't necessarily low carb. A temporary increase of protein early in the day will quell some of that craving. I am an avowed sugar addict and my experience was that if I satisfied the craving with alternative sweet, the craving intensified. If you yield to the sweet craving, however, be sure to keep the fats away at the same time. Higher protein was my cure.
    What I was going to say.

The protein will curb your appetite. If you can hold off on the sweets for long enough soon even carrots will taste sweet to you, so hang in there. Peanut butter is not such a dreadful choice, especially given that it sounds as if you were genuinely hungry. Admittedly, it is high in calories and will probably not help your current goals so the other suggested options eggs or tuna for example or even cottage cheese may be more suitable. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast