Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honey page

JasonBanz is offline Member

Honey

Primal Fuel
    I know that honey is completely natural(unless you get the processed stuff of course). It is awfully high in sugar. I know its a natural sugar and honey has several health benefits. Does the sugar in honey raise insulin levels just like regular sugar?
    Insert whitty diet remark here!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it certainly does. But, at least for me, I only need a little bit to sweeten my foods.

I enjoy a touch on 100% cacao bars Id say 1-3 grams of sugar each time... this amount will have no effect on blood sugar levels.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah the great thing about honey is that just a little touch of it goes a very long way.

Technically it will absorb about as fast as refined sugar and so we don't want a lot of it, but it is slightly better because it is 2/3 glucose and 1/3 fructose rather than the 1/2 of each.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Thanks guys. I like honey and definitely use it in moderation and was wondering about the sugar content.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    Thanks guys. I like honey and definitely use it in moderation and was wondering about the sugar content.
    Raw honey is the most preferable, as Mark mentioned in a post somewhere, since it does have a lower GI value than regular honey. And it is creamier and more delicious too!

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Raw honey is precious, so we use it sparingly, as we ought.

I've only been able to find raw honey online. I just use organic honey until I stop being lazy and order some!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I just bought some raw honey from a local farmer today. It's incredible! If you can't find a farmer near you, go to Whole Foods and look for this brand (a Target near me actually carries this as well, but it may be different for you):

http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/p...mg.510.img.jpg

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    I would say use honey sparingly, and seasonally. It was only available seasonally to Grok, after the bees did all their work in the early spring.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    I know that honey is completely natural ...
    It's not really anything to do with "naturalness" - neither honey nor cane sugar is a synthesized product.

What's relevant here is the extent to which a product has been refined. That's the basic problem with sugar (and white flour). They're over-refined. Weston Price used to refer to them as "the displacing foods of modern commerce". They were (and remain) foods "of commerce" because they don't spoil. You can store them; you can ship them; you can export them. They don't go off so quickly as less highly refined foods; unfortunately, what's been taken out renders them less useful to the body. They've been denuded of important nutrients.

Yes, honey is very high in sugars - mainly fructose and glucose:

Fructose: 38.2%
    Glucose: 31.3%
    Sucrose: 1.3%
    Maltose: 7.1%
    Water: 17.2%
    Higher sugars: 1.5%
    Ash: 0.2%
    Other/undetermined: 3.2%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey#Nutrition

It's a slightly better option than refined sugar, because there will be some trace minerals in it. There are other compounds in it in very small amounts for which health benefits are claimed, and it's claimed that pollen in it helps hay fever sufferers - as Wiki has it "Local raw honey is sought after by allergy sufferers as the pollen impurities are thought to lessen the sensitivity to hay fever".

But basically it's about 70% simple sugars and so not something anyone who's overweight wants to eat very much of at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast