Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed my menu: 55 down since february 2nd..50 more to go

Changed my menu: 55 down since february 2nd..50 more to go

Shop Now
    I started this journey on february 2nd at 337 and 41 years old. As of this morning I am down to 282. I haven't been this light since i was 19 years old. I have been afraid to share any of this with anyone because i've been afraid it would mean the end of my successes. Truthfully it needs to be shared. This approach has been a life changer/saver for me. I am a very active guy in the coaching profession.I coach football and powerlifting. The fact that the weight loss has continued and not plateaued for longer than 10 days is why i'm not afraid to share..It's almost scary to say that," i'm going to lose 100 lbs". Its like a whole new identity forming. I'm having to buy new clothes because all of my clothes are too big and don't look right. I've always had a lot of muscle but now i'm really getting to see it.The whole thing has been bizarre. I committed to this as a result of reading an article that outlined how heart disease/attacks is/are caused by inflammation and what foods are inflammatory. That article led me to primal. I have been a devoted daily appler since. I love seeing everyone elses success stories especially the ones that are closest to my situation. I would like to say that i've enjoyed the congrats and things from other people but it really doesn't phase me anymore because i wont feel a sense of accomplishment until i hit that 100 lb mark..at that point i think that's an accomplishment for me. Thanks to all of the people on this site who have given insight and shared success stories..it makes a huge difference for guys like me to see your trials. i have MANY friends and family that have started this because of me. This way of eating makes sense and is my new menu:eat and drink the foods that earth has made. (since coors light comes from the colorado rocky mountain streams it occasionally makes it into my saturday night menu) im from west texas for pete sake...anyway, just wanted to share and HOPEFULLY someone else will see my story and be motivated to change their menu...(dont go on a diet)change your menu!

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Outstanding progress Caprocker.
    My only suggestion is to not fixate on the 100 lbs. You should be seeing a huge change in how you feel, and that to me is the major thing to pay attention to. You will likely hit your 100, but as active as you need to be with your coaching, you should find your energy and well being to be changing greatly for the good.
    Keep it up!
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Change your menu - I like that! Congratulations on your menu change and the great results so far, keep up the good work and It's so good that you are inspiring others to take action too. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rig D View Post
    Outstanding progress Caprocker.
    My only suggestion is to not fixate on the 100 lbs. You should be seeing a huge change in how you feel, and that to me is the major thing to pay attention to. You will likely hit your 100, but as active as you need to be with your coaching, you should find your energy and well being to be changing greatly for the good.
    Keep it up!
    the 100 lb mark for me is paramount because it repsresents a weight i've never been at in my adult life. I am determined to get there. I understand your thinking, and have had the same thoughts. What happens now when i get there? will i quit and go back? absolutely not. I like this menu so much better than the one that was filled with sugar, flour and wheat. I will be doing this for life. My next phase is to start muscle hypertrophy. Thus far I have done this without measurable exercise. I catch myself critiquing my body too severely and actually kinda missing the bigger me lol...I would like to eventually fill that void with more muscle as long as my arthritic shoulders allow. Many thanks to you guys for the encouragement ans inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by caprocker View Post
    the 100 lb mark for me is paramount because it repsresents a weight i've never been at in my adult life. I am determined to get there. I understand your thinking, and have had the same thoughts. What happens now when i get there? will i quit and go back? absolutely not. I like this menu so much better than the one that was filled with sugar, flour and wheat. I will be doing this for life. My next phase is to start muscle hypertrophy. Thus far I have done this without measurable exercise. I catch myself critiquing my body too severely and actually kinda missing the bigger me lol...I would like to eventually fill that void with more muscle as long as my arthritic shoulders allow. Many thanks to you guys for the encouragement ans inspiration.
    since this last post i have lost another 6 lbs. My 2lb per week average has dropped to 1 since football has been in session. This phase of my weight loss has been a testament to the importance of healthy hormones. My stress is at a yearly high during this time of the year through about december 1st. cortisol is kicking my rear. I hope to get back on pace when the season is over and my personal rigor decreases. I also look forward to getting more time walking and lifting. down 62 and counting!

You are having huge success. Even with the added stress slowing you down. If you"end up" losing 1/wk, in a year you are down a bunch.
    I know my goal when I started was to get to my old high school football weight of 195 (50 yrs ago, and for me that's a shocking thought). I haven't made it (yet), but did lose about 1 lb/wk for a year, ended up between 205 and 210. I stabilized there, and my bod seems very happy there, and I feel much, much better. While short of my goal, it is still a huge win. That's the reason for my comment on your 100 lb goal. You may find that your optimum weight, where you are a real kick-butt beast, to be some number other than at your goal, you don't want to consider it a fail if that happens. But go for it!
    Hope you guys are winning! Have a great remaining season.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

You are having huge success. Even with the added stress slowing you down. If you"end up" losing 1/wk, in a year you are down a bunch.
    I know my goal when I started was to get to my old high school football weight of 195 (50 yrs ago, and for me that's a shocking thought). I haven't made it (yet), but did lose about 1 lb/wk for a year, ended up between 205 and 210. I stabilized there, and my bod seems very happy there, and I feel much, much better. While short of my goal, it is still a huge win. That's the reason for my comment on your 100 lb goal. You may find that your optimum weight, where you are a real kick-butt beast, to be some number other than at your goal, you don't want to consider it a fail if that happens. But go for it!
    Hope you guys are winning! Have a great remaining season.
    (this has been a long season and we can leave it at that lol)

I think the extra inner tube that resides around my waist right now is going to be my new measuring stick vs the scales. I've seen an 8 inch decrease in my waist and its just kinda surreal having to buy the same size pants i wore my senior year in high school. I really look forward to my february 2nd one year anniversary and where i end up at that point. This has been a great thing and MDA has been a huge part of my success.

Thumbs up on your new measuring device. I almost know the feeling you describe. I made to to snug 36" pants, in hs I was in 34's and went to 36 in freshman year at college. I have a belt that I wore when I was wearing size 2XL polo shirts and pushing 48" pants. I love the wear marks on it showing my progress in downsizing the gut. Can't wear it anymore, I've had to punch additional holes in it, now it is way long to wear. I still keep it though, it was one of my tracking tools.

Coaching observation: I found in my "career" coaching my guys in sports, that I was a much more successful coach when I had the "horses" than when I didn't. But I wasn't a better coach. The year my rec-league soccer team won everything in sight, I thought I was a great coach. Only many years later did I realize that off that rec team of 15 boys, 8 of them made the varsity soccer team at our very competitive and successful high school program. I've subsequently adjusted my thoughts to be more in the line that I gave them some skill development, but more importantly helped them learn to love the game, have fun, and compete with honor.

Thumbs up on your new measuring device. I almost know the feeling you describe. I made to to snug 36" pants, in hs I was in 34's and went to 36 in freshman year at college. I have a belt that I wore when I was wearing size 2XL polo shirts and pushing 48" pants. I love the wear marks on it showing my progress in downsizing the gut. Can't wear it anymore, I've had to punch additional holes in it, now it is way long to wear. I still keep it though, it was one of my tracking tools.

Coaching observation: I found in my "career" coaching my guys in sports, that I was a much more successful coach when I had the "horses" than when I didn't. But I wasn't a better coach. The year my rec-league soccer team won everything in sight, I thought I was a great coach. Only many years later did I realize that off that rec team of 15 boys, 8 of them made the varsity soccer team at our very competitive and successful high school program. I've subsequently adjusted my thoughts to be more in the line that I gave them some skill development, but more importantly helped them learn to love the game, have fun, and compete with honor.
    i've been coaching football in west tx. for 20 years and it's ultra competitive. I love it. But, in order to do it right and keep it right it takes total commitment. We work 7 days a week 80 hours a week from mid july until roughly thanksgiving on a normal year. The stress is unimaginable. 2 of our games last year had between 8000 and 10,000 in attendance. Its hard to manage stress on that level unless you have plenty of experience with it which i do. The variables you discussed are spot on. I (personally) take a lot of pride in taking not so athletic "johnnies and joes", and fielding a team that competes. On the flip side it helps when your johnnies and joes are studs too. Our season has been one of those this year and will more than likely finish earlier than normal. I plan on getting way more hardcore with my paleo when football season ends and hunting season begins. I will hopefully be a true caveman again!

Shop Now
    Sounds to me like Texas High School football has a well earned reputation for being serious. I can't imagine handling the work regimen you describe, knowing you have a crew of teens on the front line for execution during practice and games. HS Football here in Ohio is also serious biz, but you guys seem to be in a whole 'nother league.

I applaud your approach: "I (personally) take a lot of pride in taking not so athletic "johnnies and joes", and fielding a team that competes."