Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for the rollercoaster to bottom out

Time for the rollercoaster to bottom out

Shop Now
    So here we go, my primal journal.

Inspiration for the journal goes to all of you who have gone before me, writing journals and success stories that give me the hope to succeed.

Vital statistics and background

I am a 6ft4, 238lb gentleman who is carrying excess weight that needs to disappear. I have weighed both much more and much less than this my peak being probably 270-275, and the least I weighed as an adult was 192. Not healthy eh?

In 2011 I lost a lot of the weight, resulting in getting down to the 192. But having read the Primal Blueprint, I was the definition of 'skinny fat'. I essentially starved myself during the week, and the things I thought were good for me and being healthy were whole grain and whole meal so actually doing me no good whatsoever! When the weekend came (once I was trying to maintain) I would eat and drink as I liked, and then use the next week to 'burn it off again'. This wonderful (so I thought) cycle ended when I broke my foot, causing the exercise to cease and the gradual trickle of weight to pile back on, albeit not to the total extent it did before.

I sit here today a man motivated by a desire to change for good. I don't want temporary weight loss, I don't want to find excuses to go back to my old ways, I need something to stick. The logic behind primal just clicks for me. I have seen a friend transform his life with paleo, and it gave me the desire to seek out his methods.

What now?

I intend to begin the primal lifestyle right away. I will use this journal to log my progress and to keep me motivated. I am going to begin the 21 day challenge tomorrow (I have been researching primal for a couple of weeks and already made significant changes) and will post as regularly as possible. I am a teacher and hold a position of responsibility within school, I want to model physical well being for my students as well as other virtues that I aim to instil.

Here we go!!

Welcome aboard, pmorrison! I am glad to hear that you want to change your lifestyle permanently, as that really is the key to primal, I think.

I recommend taking a pic of yourself today (I didn't, and am now sorry I didn't take that advice!) as a reference. And don't let the scale be your only guide. Pay attention to how you feel, and get out in the fresh air and move around

Best of luck.
    Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread114086.html

"Live in such a way that when others speak evil of you, none will believe it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
    Welcome aboard, pmorrison! I am glad to hear that you want to change your lifestyle permanently, as that really is the key to primal, I think.

I recommend taking a pic of yourself today (I didn't, and am now sorry I didn't take that advice!) as a reference. And don't let the scale be your only guide. Pay attention to how you feel, and get out in the fresh air and move around

Best of luck.
    Thanks Tigs! I have a decent side on photo from yesterday, I just can't work out how to post it on here!

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    You sound like you are truly ready for Primal. Do the 21, then stick with "basic primal" for another month or so to see how it all works for you. If, after that you are not happy, then dink around on the forums for ways to adjust your plan. Be sure to work the exercise!
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

^^^ This

Definitely go "pure primal" for the 21 days...using the transformation book has helped a lot of people to put it all together, and not just the diet. I have no idea how to post pics either, as I never have....... People do say to use tapatalk to get the pics up fast, otherwise they wont show until approved by the mods. There is the "insert Image" there at the toolbar, 3rd from the right..but not sure how to use it w/ tapatalk?

Best of luck, and Grok it!

So, end of day 2. Given I was eating a lot better the last couple of weeks and had cut out alcohol entirely, I think I gave myself a running start. Feeling good so far, much lower appetite.

I went to boxercise on Monday evening and felt I had more energy than usual, as I also did at my weights class last night. It possibly helps that I am currently on holiday from work, so it will be more telling when I get in to more regular habits.

I spent the evening making recipes from the book 'The Paleo Primer'. I went to my local farm shop and purchased a myriad of beautiful vegetables and meat. So far I have made shepard's pie (with cauliflower mash), sweet potato wedges, parnsip 'kettle chips' and a rosemary loaf (which sank immediately after removing from the oven!). Enjoying throwing myself in to new things, I am sure there will be more challenging days ahead!

Thanks for the support

Paul

Sounds like you are doing great, Paul! Keep up the good work.

One thing you may want to think about is how you will organize food when you go back to work. Its sometimes difficult to figure out how to manage all the new prep work otherwise. It was a great idea to start while on holiday, imo.

Grok on

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrison84 View Post
    Thanks Tigs! I have a decent side on photo from yesterday, I just can't work out how to post it on here!
    If yo hover your mouse over the options available in the comments space there is a small icon of an Image (3rd from left) through which u can insert the image, hope that helps

End of the week. Been taking this thing seriously...
    I have eaten the cauliflower mash shepards pie, delicious. Tonight I had king prawns with fresh steamed vegetables, having had a roast dinner at lunch time (minus the potatoes and gravy). Feel like I am eating loads, when in fact it comes in low on the calories due to the nature of the foods. As I say the big challenge is next week back to work, but I will be primed for it (pardon the pun!).

Big gathering of friends tomorrow night, I will be driving and on the water. It will be 3 weeks alcohol free for me, that means 3 weeks of putting no empty calories from booze in to my body. Happy weekend everyone!

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Shop Now
    Your get together this weekend sounds like it will be your first major challenge with the no booze!
    And watch what you eat, temptations probably all over. Hang tough my friend.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.