Thread: Smokin a Fatty

Smokin a Fatty

Shop Now
    Got your attention eh?

Well this is actually a well known recipe in old school BBQ circles. Cooking is the same on all. Throw on your smoker to finish as an appetizer. For me this is about 1-2 hours of smoke time at 250-275 and I like to hit at least 180 temp on the pork. You may be cooking hotter or colder and you might like your fatties a bit drier (better for by hand) or moister (so might only take to 165 and serve with a plate).

There are actually three types of fatties:

1. The Naked Fatty. Classic and elegant. Requires little prep but delivers the goods. Take one lb cylindrical rolled sausage of choice and cover in favorite rub. Throw it in! Pull, slice, and be praised.
    2. The Stuffed Fatty. Free your mind. Embrace the infinite options of fatty ism! I like jalapeņo, sharp cheddar, and bell pepper. I've seen the desert fatty though with Apple and cinnamon and served with syrup. It's all up to you, but there is a method that makes em all easier to do! Take your sausage and place in a one gallon ziplock. Roll out to fill so all even. Cut away zip and flip onto butcher paper or wax paper. Coat square with fav fillings, but leave some at edge for a meat to meat seal (vital)! Use some rub on inside if you like. Now use paper as a sushi roller. Don't know what I mean? Google it...running out of words . Rub the outside and smoke that fatty!
    3. The Stuffed and Robed Fatty..AKA...MacDaddy...AKA The Baconator. Truly a main course to itself. I would not try to make this an appetizer. It's the whole damn show! Take whatever stuffed fatty you love...make a bacon weave (1.5lbsof bacon or so?). Roll it up. Use toothpicks to seal this. Smoke it up!

You can baste any of these with your favorite BBQ sauce in last 10 minutes of smoke if you like. The variety and options are endless! Go smoke a fatty!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-22-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Sounds awesome! Especially after smoking a fatty..

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Yes, you got my attention! For a second there, I thought I'd totally misjudged you.

Hahah....I certainly need to give credit where it's due. As such I shall pay homage to where I first discovered the fatty. It's a pretty cool BBQ forum that I lurk at:

Ronelle's Pron-filled Fatty Tutorial... - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hahah....I certainly need to give credit where it's due. As such I shall pay homage to where I first discovered the fatty. It's a pretty cool BBQ forum that I lurk at:

Ronelle's Pron-filled Fatty Tutorial... - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.
    Who doesn't love a pron-filled fatty tutorial!