Thread: How to choose the weight page

Minagelina is offline Senior Member

How to choose the weight

Shop Now
    doing Strong Curves in which weight reps are mid range- 8-12 for lifts. I am a newbie, so still lower weight. I benched 40 lbs., 2x12 and 1x11. That is kind of where I stayed for a couple of weeks. So I went up to 45 and did 2x8, 1x6. This is my limit the last couple of weeks. Should I go back down and do higher reps until they are easy, or should I stay at the higher weight, but do fewer reps? So confused. Hate being a newb.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    In general:
    Heavy/low reps build strength
    Moderate/mid reps build mass
    Light/high is fat burning

When I do Strong curves, I would go on my bench at a weight until I got 3 sets of 8 or 10 with it, then move up until I got 3 sets of 8 or 10 at the new weight. So yes, stick to 45 until you get your 8-12 reps, then move up, but you don't need to move back down because you miss some reps. The only caveat is if your form is really bad from the first rep at the new weight. Then you might need to drop back.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Minagelina is offline Senior Member
    OK, thanks!

Now with the goals, I want strength and mass. I am a skinny little beanpole. How would you address that? Would that be extra sets with lower weight, higher reps? An extra day of lifting at said weight? I DID say I was new, so if I sound stupid, I apologize, lol!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You should be able to add mass following strong curves without extra work, but you'd need to eat strategically. I've never eaten to add mass, but basically you eat more quality foods. There are a lot of plans out there.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!