Thread: Primal Recipes for Vegetarian Friend? Help Please! page

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member

Primal Recipes for Vegetarian Friend? Help Please!

Primal Fuel
    So, my best friend is coming to stay with me for the weekend. Thing is, she's a vegetarian, and she's just given up fish, too, while I'm moving towards full Primal-ness. We'll be making and eating 3 meals together on Friday and Saturday (2 dinners, 1 lunch; she just has oatmeal for breakfast and I just have eggs)... I'm a little stressed about what to make. She loves basically all fruits and vegetables, eats eggs, loves cheese, hates butter, mustard, vinegar, and pasta, hates anything fried or too oily. She basically doesn't eat processed foods. [yeah, yeah. I know. She feels like meat is 'unclean' and hates the texture and taste. It's concerning to me, since it's clearly restrictive .... gahh. that's not really the point of this thread. anyway.]

My ideas so far are: planning on doing roasted cherry tomatoes stuffed with goat cheese, and guacamole with veggies to dip for appetizers, and for meals, 1) some kind of a fritatta 2) a stir fry--I can cook chicken separately for me, and tofu for her (or I could just eat the tofu, I guess...) I'd like to do something involving zucchini 'pasta' or cauliflower 'rice', and was also considering some kind of eggplant rollatini I also want to make sure that I'm providing enough food/calories, but since she doesn't eat butter, I guess I'd go with olive/coconut oil and cheese. Any ideas would be sooo welcome--I know you guys are creative, and I really want to feed her healthy, delicious, primal meals! Thank you, everyone, in advance.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Thai red curry made with coconut milk and veggies (you can add meat and tofu on the side or at the bottom of the bowl). Chipotle style bowls with salad greens, beans for your friend, meat for you, toppings of tomatoes, guacamole, sauteed fajita vegetables, cheese, salsa, etc... for everyone. If she eats dairy, fresh berries with real whipped cream.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    What about "buffet style" meals - bowls of salad, veggies, meat for you, fried tofu (?) for her, in a help-yourself way?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    "I have no idea how to prepare a vegetarian meal, especially now that you've given up fish. How about we make stuff together and you show me what you eat?"

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Egoldstein-- I like the idea of the chipotle-style bowl; we both like spicy food and both love avocado, so we'll definitely make that!

NorthernMonkeyGirl-- thanks!

Primalchild: I know, more or less, what she eats as a vegetarian (mainly beans, couscous, potatoes, veggies and fruit). But thank you for your comment; it made me realize that, duh, we can come up with some tasty, mutually-eatable food between us; the world isn't going to crack open under us because I don't want to eat rice and she doesn't want to eat salmon. And spending two days with my best friend is definitely more important in the grand scheme of life than stressing over menus. So thanks for the perspective.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    "I have no idea how to prepare a vegetarian meal, especially now that you've given up fish. How about we make stuff together and you show me what you eat?"
    *Slaps forehead in a "well, duhhhh, why didn't I think of that?" style*

zorba is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made a fantastic little zucchini 'boat' the other day.

Sliced some zucchini length-wise, carved out the seeds.

I then chopped up some garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and combined them with crumbled feta cheese and added olive oil and balsalmic vinegar and mixed it into almost a paste. Spooned it into the zuchini and roasted them on the bbq until the zuchini was soft. They were fantastic.