Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a random PB vs CW vent and a little update on me... page

Lys
    Lys is offline Member

Just a random PB vs CW vent and a little update on me...

Primal Fuel
    Not sure which forum I should post this in, but since it's mostly about food, I'll put it here!

Except for the one BAD afternoon carb slipup I posted about last Wednesday, I've been primal for one full week. YAY! Happy dance! I weighed myself today and am down 7 pounds from last week. I'm at 157 today (top weight was 170, but it took me months and months to get from there to 165!). Seriously? 7 pounds in one week? I would have been happy with one or two but this is just awesomeness. I know it won't keep up at that rate but I'm ecstatic and am feeling better and less weak and fatigued already. I can't believe my weight goal (145) might actually be attainable! Really I'd love 125 or 130 but I always said 145 because losing weight was just soooo hard. Maybe I should change my goal.

Here's my vent though. I'm PISSED at the amount of my life I've spent fearing fat, fearing BEING fat, being hungry, and being miserable, due to trying to follow the high-carb, low-fat way of eating.

I had my first son at 16 (yes, I know), nursed him for three years, got married, got pregnant again and have been nursing ever since, for the past 4 years (including through a third pregnancy). That has obviously taken it's toll on me. It made me SO HUNGRY. I used to wake up in the middle of the night starving, and since fat was out, of course I chowed down on bowl after bowl of corn/sugar cereal and skim milk. Sandwiches for lunch, light on the mayo and cheese, pasta for dinner... I had no problem keeping my weight down when was a teenager, but by child #3 my body just couldn't keep up.

Because of all that I ended up chronically exhausted, MAJORLY depressed, still hungry, got fatter, got addicted to caffeine (mmm) and you know? I was doing all the "right" things and yet still felt like my body was falling apart, at 24! That's ridiculous. UGH. I'm just pissed that so many people like me are being told these things (eat carbs! fat is bad! you're just fat because you just don't exercise enough! so what if you've only had 5 hours of sleep? Put those kids in a stroller and go running!).

I don't know what the point of this post is... I guess I just wanted to rant about that to people who would understand! DH is still of the "we should just work out more" mindset. Working out is good, of course, but if I'm so exhausted that a 1 hour workout lands me in bed for the afternoon, what good is that?

I'm still working on getting the kids' diets a little more primalized... Haven't cut out bread completely or anything yet, but I'm encouraging eggs for breakfast and less startches at the other meals too. They're really little at this point and do better with slow changes. My older son on the other hand? He's THRILLED at being given the go ahead to eat more meat.

I love PB.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    A little perspective: I was 57 when I discovered primal. Congrats on finding it so early in life! My advice: Look forward, not backward.

Lys
    Lys is offline Member
    Very true! On the other hand, the reason I was even looking for the answers now is because of having a lot of disordered eating issues as a kid/teenager and trying to work past that. It got me doing research (um, kind of obsessively at times), which got me eating "healthy" but then eating "healthy" got me sick! That's the part that frustrates me. A lot of people eating a "good" SAD really are trying to do the right thing... it just sucks that we were all so misled.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    OK couple things.
    *I hear ya! I wish I found PB much earlier and I'm 34. I was fitness trainer for godsakes! Ugh, the things you learn when you aren't busy with your head up your own butt
    * 7lbs in a week? Niiice woman, thats impressive.
    *Nursed your baby for 3 years when you were a teen? Wow, that made me happydance in my chair. Thats pretty damn inspiring, I hope some young mother reads that and realizes she can do it too <3
    Calm the f**k down.

Lys
    Lys is offline Member
    Thank you! I pumped for that baby too In a grungy old high school bathroom stall between classes, with a manual pump and a little cooler with ice. LOL. Had some interesting conversations with classmates that year... I figure even if it creeped most of them out, at least it may have planted a seed or two

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Lys- I followed the SAD and all the 'experts' advice my whole adult life. I ate grains, I limited fat (quite severely) and I limited protein (because, hey, it comes with fat!) and I exercised....a lot. My reward? A degenerative lifelong, life-threatening autoimmune disease, fatigue, depression, bursitis, plantar fasciitis, degenerative joints and discs, and my weight slowly creeping up (never technically overweight though). And this is because I was listening to the medical establishment!

I am angry that I was an unwitting subject in a massive dietary experiment.

But NO MORE.

I am managing my disease with my diet. I am questioning dietary and medical advice. And I offer kernels of the truth to people near me- without being pushy.

Be glad you found the healthy path before you spent more years damaging your body. I am 34 and now expect (and want!) to live till I am 90 or 100. Before, I was thinking I'd eek out to 60 or 70, unenthusiastically.
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 07-18-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to add my congrats on your weight loss!
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I so hear you. When I found out the real science, I was righteously pissed for a good six months. Now I'm just happy that I know how to make my blood sugars stay normal and my weight come down a little at a time without hunger or stress.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I will put a different spin on this and perhaps it will make some sense or maybe not so much-you may end up thinking I am crazy. I'm older than dirt. Im 64. Ive been supporting myself by investing for about 7 years after I got wacked at 57. The point is, I learned something in all of that time. That is that "Everyone talks their book". 100% of the time. By book I mean book of business. Ive been thinking about this for a long time (30 days anyway)....here is how it works. Agibiz sets the table just like Big Pharm (and every other major industry) does with published studies and all manner of crap to sell a story (have a look at Dr Briffa's statin articles about number needed to [I forget the last initial])....The whole reason for the story is to sell you on what crap to buy to eat or meds to take. They sure as hell are not gonna steer you to low margin foods when there is grain around to make them 80% margins on right? Sell everyone on cows or veggies at 10% margins when 80% is available by making processed junk food and highly refined people chow?? No way. I am very skeptical of the whole BS sham about statins, anything from agribiz or any other major owner of print periodicals that can control editorial policy by sinking big advert bux into the print source.. I may be paranoid but someone is really trying to get us! Whenever someone is selling you something just remember "Wag the Dog". It is all the same story.
    Luck, Chuck

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lys View Post
    nursed him for three years
    Yay you! That is seriously impressive. What was it that compelled you, as a teen, to know that nursing was the way to go AND to stick with it for so long?
    That has obviously taken it's toll on me. It made me SO HUNGRY. I used to wake up in the middle of the night starving, and since fat was out, of course I chowed down on bowl after bowl of corn/sugar cereal and skim milk.
    Yeah;/ and the vitamin d deficiency, magnesium, zinc, and potassium deficiencies will also do a number on you;/

Let's get your D up ASAP so you can start *really* feeling great

Best,
    Katherine
    (who nursed one for five years and the next for four years)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Lys
    Lys is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Yay you! That is seriously impressive. What was it that compelled you, as a teen, to know that nursing was the way to go AND to stick with it for so long?
    Honestly, it was for totally selfish reasons in the beginning. I breastfed because that meant I wouldn't be tempted to ask my parents for help with feedings. My folks were great and never overstepped boundaries, but they would have helped more if I asked and *I* worried (probably unnecessarily) that I would end up watching them raise him. Then, when he was about 6 months old, when I was feeling guilty for not being able to teach him to sleep well in his crib, someone gave me an attachment parenting book, which encouraged me to keep cosleeping (hey, that's totally primal!) and nursing until we were both ready to be done. I will say I'm having a harder time letting my daughter (who is now just two) wean on her own time though... I'm a bit touched out and ready to have my body back, even though I know ideally I should try and get her through another winter.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Yeah;/ and the vitamin d deficiency, magnesium, zinc, and potassium deficiencies will also do a number on you;/

Let's get your D up ASAP so you can start *really* feeling great

Best,
    Katherine
    (who nursed one for five years and the next for four years)
    I'll have to go read up on these... I do take vit D (started that before PB, trying to combat depression... it didn't work for that unfortunately), but haven't heard much about the others. So cool to hear you nursed yours until four and five!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast