Thread: Cfs/m.e. page

Daffy is offline Junior Member

Cfs/m.e.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have had chronic fatigue syndrome twice ........ in my 20s and 40s. 12 years in total in a wheelchair.

And now at 51 I have just relapsed again.

I have struggled with low carb diets (which make me feel better) and often fall off the bandwagon and gain weight.

I just discovered the Primal Blueprint and read the book. It sounds great.

I would like to know if anyone has used this diet to recover from CFS or other chronic or serious illness ?

I have a stone to lose and my health to regain.
    Last edited by Daffy; 07-18-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Selah is offline Senior Member
    I am 53 and have had CFS, MCS and FMS for 14 years. My pain is defiantly better since being on PB plan. I have only been eating this way for 1 month but once you get past the carb flu....it is blue skys. Good luck on your journey.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
    I have had chronic fatigue syndrome twice ........ in my 20s and 40s. 12 years in total in a wheelchair.

And now at 51 I have just relapsed again.
    What's going on with your 25(OH)D levels? How much magnesium are you getting?

See my journal (linked below) for some info on what I've dealt with.....CF/FM were right up there.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

skookum is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
    I would like to know if anyone has used this diet to recover from CFS or other chronic or serious illness ?
    YES! I have found the PB to be a very effective means to manage the CFS/FM that I have been dealing with for nearly 20 years. I've had those relapses, and my heart goes out to you. I know you're not having a fun time of it right now.

I won't say it's cured me - I'm not sure that's possible. When I follow the PB guidelines, however, I experience more energy, less pain, less confusion and less depression than when I don't follow the PB. It has allowed me to recover from significant flare, and to attain levels of fitness and activity I thought were forever beyond me. I'm not going for muscle-bound Iron-Man or anything like that. I'm simply happy to be able to take a daily walk and to get out for a hike every couple of weeks, to work in my garden, and to hold down full-time employment.

I was diagnosed with CFS/FM in my early 20s. I am bumping up against 40 now, and haven't felt better... EVER. In this, my most recent effort to be Primal (since January of this year), I've lost 40 pounds, have found the wherewithal to exercise almost every day, I'm able to hold down a full-time job again and I have a much better attitude about life than ever before.

The PB has done for me what NSAID therapy, massage therapy, chiropracty, naturopathy, Enbrel therapy, or any other kind of 'therapy' have never done. I know from experience, however, that the degree to which I 'slip' from the PB guidelines, is the degree to which I will, sooner or later, experience the pain, fatigue, and brain-fog of CFS/FM. I've been down that road enough times to be able to count on it.

Please keep in mind that simply switching up your diet and getting some exercise is not going to offer immediate relief from your symptoms - at least it didn't for me. The first month or so was hell. But it got better. Much better.

My advice? Embrace the PB as wholeheartedly as you can, but don't kick yourself for not following it to the letter every single day. Listen to your body and don't overdo it. We with CFS/FM simply can't recover from overdoing it like others can. It is imperative that you stay within your bodies limits, yet push those limits just a little bit to capacity. For a long time, that, for me, was a walk down the driveway and back - a marathon, it seemed at first. Rest and sleep are very important, get all that you want and need. Shortchanging yourself in these areas is shortchanging your recovery. Period.

I don't really have anything to say about supplements like Magnesium and such. They never really had an impact on my issues. I have found that the simple recipe of good, varied nutrition and appropriate exercise was, by far, most effective.