Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LDL Cholesterol

LDL Cholesterol

Shop Now
    I need some advice here. I had a massive heart attack 3 years ago; right coronary 100% blocked and "widow maker" 95% blocked. 3 stents. Have been eating primal for 6 months now and my LDL has went up! I didn't expect that. Also my glucose is a bit high. What to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

My understanding is that heart disease is basically a symptom of low thyroid hormone. The thyroid affects cholesterol levels, so this explains the correlation between heart disease and a "bad" lipid panel.

Magnesium and sodium both promote thyroid hormone. Sodium can raise blood pressure, which is interpreted by some as a bad sign, but this can be counteracted by enough potassium.

Eating carbohydrates promotes thyroid hormone, while unsaturated fat inhibits it (I am aware this is a controversial statement on this forum). Also, endotoxin from the gut is a major source of stress, so maintaining a favorable gut microbiota is probably a good idea.

I'd listen to Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn who has successfully reversed heart disease with a plant-based diet.

---->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6pLRdawBw0 -- is a very thorough discussion on the subject. (you're going to need some popcorn)

---->FAQ | Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease Program

According to this info, it appears a diet high in saturated fat eg. primal, is the exact opposite of what you should be doing.
    *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (Jan 2015) * Current Wt - 116 lbs (June 2016)
    *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
    *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Quote Originally Posted by PriMark View Post
    my LDL has went up! I didn't expect that. Also my glucose is a bit high. What to do?
    Some tests do not actually measure LDL but estimate it from the other fractions, and this estimate can be too high if triglycerides decrease (common on PB). Request the most detailed report possible.

Is the glucose trending up or down?
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Glucose is a little high. 108 after fasting. Triglycerides or good.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Quote Originally Posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post
    I'd listen to Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn who has successfully reversed heart disease with a plant-based diet.

---->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6pLRdawBw0 -- is a very thorough discussion on the subject. (you're going to need some popcorn)

---->FAQ | Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease Program

According to this info, it appears a diet high in saturated fat eg. primal, is the exact opposite of what you should be doing.
    Esselstyn's conclusions are wrong however, and he attributes the improvements to the wrong factors. His study is highly flawed, and the number one conclusion is totally discredited, in that there is actually no correlation at all between CVD and consumption of saturated fat. No study has ever shown one. Including the grandaddy fraud of them all, Keys' 7 Countries study.

Quote Originally Posted by PriMark View Post
    I need some advice here. I had a massive heart attack 3 years ago; right coronary 100% blocked and "widow maker" 95% blocked. 3 stents. Have been eating primal for 6 months now and my LDL has went up! I didn't expect that. Also my glucose is a bit high. What to do?
    You should find a paleo-friendly medical professional to guide you. You had a heart attack so your margin for personal experimentation is small. You may want to get a direct measure of your current artery plaque, such as a coronary calcium scan.

Have you had an a1c test performed for the elevated glucose?

Quote Originally Posted by NewOldGuy View Post
    Esselstyn's conclusions are wrong however, and he attributes the improvements to the wrong factors. His study is highly flawed, and the number one conclusion is totally discredited, in that there is actually no correlation at all between CVD and consumption of saturated fat. No study has ever shown one. Including the grandaddy fraud of them all, Keys' 7 Countries study.
    Yup. Skip the vegan nonsense.

Check on your ratios. Much more appropriate than only looking at Ldl.

Prevent a Heart Attack: Know Your Ratio?

Trig/HDL is the most important to know and primal generally improves this greatly!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-02-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOldGuy View Post
    Here's another 'clueless' cardiologist - Dr. Kim Williams, President of American College of Cardiology - recommending a plant-based diet for his heart patients and also used it himself to reduce his cholesterol:

----->CardioBuzz: Vegan Diet, Healthy Heart?

And then there's also another one: Dr. Neal Barnard who uses a plant based diet to reverse diabetes in his patients.

The OP's cholesterol is going up on primal and his glucose (I'm guessing fasting glucose) is going up, indicating insulin resistance. We know this is NOT unexpected on primal (even Mark discussed it recently). Instead of listening to random folks on the internet who want to justify bad lab results, why not listen to those Drs who show that you can reduce your risk of further heart attacks by just ditching the animal products and oils?

Try it for several months, re-check your labs or scans and see what happens. OR cross fingers and keep doing the same thing and hope for the best. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Last edited by KimLean125byMar15; 08-02-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (Jan 2015) * Current Wt - 116 lbs (June 2016)
    *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
    *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week