Thread: How acceptable was my bkfast? page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

How acceptable was my bkfast?

I had some almond crackers that I made yesterday from almond flour, eggs and some herbs. I ate it with nitrate/nitrite free all natural turkey breast (deli meat, but all natural).

Are the crackers primal?

Is the turkey breast ok because it had no nitrates/nitrites? What's the difference between this and processed bacon?

Thanks!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    bacon, even with it's nitrates is better. mmmm bacon fat.

Lol, are you sure you aren't a spokesperson for bacon?

Seriously, is it the fat that makes it better?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    Lol, are you sure you aren't a spokesperson for bacon?

Seriously, is it the fat that makes it better?
    as far as I understand it: yes.

search the blog and see what Mark wrote about the salt, and nitrates in bacon. Unless you're sensitive to the nitrates, I wouldn't sweat it, but I do know a girl who can't take them so...

Interesting, I had no idea. I have always thought that nitrates and nitrites in food was a big no no! Off to search the blog.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    Is the turkey breast ok because it had no nitrates/nitrites? What's the difference between this and processed bacon?
    The difference is that bacon is made from pork - and is cured meat, whereas your turkey is fresh (cooked) meat. Bacon is cured by salting (and sometimes smoking) the pork. Nowadays saltpetre (also known as nitre, which is potassium nitrate) is usually used; sodium nitrate might be used in addition. But originally, I believe, people used common salt (i.e. "table salt", which is mostly sodium chloride) instead.

But you can sometimes obtain "nitrate-free bacon". Presumably, this will be salt-cured. Old country people used to have very salty bacon - in fact, they sometimes soaked bacon/ham in water to remove the excess salt before cooking it. That as in the old days before refrigeration, and these days they'd use less salt/s (of whatever type). Nowadays - as with many former food-preservation methods - the curing is done purely for the flavour.

Whether nitrates in meat are a worry or not is perhaps an open question. And there are certainly other sources in people's diets:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ0974.html

I've no comment on "nut bread". Personally, I don't really care for foods that mimic other foods - I like the real thing. I don't, however, eat much bread, and what I do eat is sourdough bread. People have claimed that grain foods as such are a bad thing, but they appear to have plucked that one out the air - it's a kind of guess more than anything. As Katherine Czapp over at the WAPF points out:

Weston Price studied several societies that enjoyed remarkable good health [that] consumed grains as a principle [sic] foodstuff.
    http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...ily-bread.html

That's empirical evidence.

There are enzyme inhibitors in grains (and, incidentally, in nuts, too). Those can interfere with your digestion. However, soaking or sprouting or lactic-fermenting your grains (as with sourdough bread) - or nuts - makes them more digestible and their nutrients more readily available.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @lewis: i've read nourishing traditions and follow weston a price. i've tried the grains and nuts properly prepared in the past. it may work for some but i still had issues with it. be careful if that's what you choose and pay close attention to how you react.
    @scubasam: your breakfast was primal. maybe not the best choice, but still primal. please check out how to properly soak nuts before using them as a flour. i skip on the nuts lately due to the high omega 6 content + the hassle of soaking and dehydrating.