Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89 cents, hours of enjoyment

89 cents, hours of enjoyment

Shop Now
    My wife and I have our first ever real vegetable garden growing this summer. It's growing great except for the slugs. We put all that time and work and money into our garden and we were watching it get devoured by those slimy little buggers. That is until I discovered I can kill them with salt. Don't worry, I know not to put it directly on my plants. What I do is put on my head lamp and hunt around the perimeter of my garden at night. It is quite satisfiing to put a pinch of salt on a slug and watch it squirm and turn into a puddle of orange goo. I'm not a cruel person. I'm just at war with the slugs in my garden. It seems to be working since there are less slugs around each new day and the damage to my veggies has almost stopped.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yep, that takes care of the little boogers, doesn't it?
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Great description and great hint!
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

I didn't lay any garden stuff this year, but I have noticed that this year we have a load of slugs sliming around every evening. Usually once the sun's down, they find their way into my back yard and slither about a bit. They don't seem to be hurting anything so I let them be.

I'll have to keep an eye on them next year, since I do plan to put in a garden again.

M.

lol....its backyard warfare for sure! I plant a big salad bowl plot each year. I'm such a lazy gardener though. I just throw it all in there waaay overcrowded and pick whatever grows. Don't bother weeding or anything. I always end up with a ton of good stuff though. I suppose its cause I do a raised bed and use good compost to start at the beginning of each year.

Haha, I came into this thread to find out about the best mobile game in the app store.

My green onions get a lot of snails sometimes. After I started fertilizing the plantbed with coarse coffee grounds leftover from my French press in the morning, I noticed that they no longer attack my plants. Maybe you could try that if you already drink coffee! It is much less energy than hunting around in the evening every so often

In addition to your post, what gave me hours of enjoyment was getting distracted looking up salted slug videos on YouTube and seeing the legions of people offended by slug murders.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    In addition to your post, what gave me hours of enjoyment was getting distracted looking up salted slug videos on YouTube and seeing the legions of people offended by slug murders.
    And that was free except electricity I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Ah, the people who are offended by ANY animal video because it's cruelty. I know them so well.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Ah, the people who are offended by ANY animal video because it's cruelty. I know them so well.
    Makes you wonder how they treat humans?