Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trust me I'm a doctor page

MuffinTheMoose is offline Senior Member

Trust me I'm a doctor

Shop Now
    There is a TV series in the UK called "Trust me I'm a doctor". It is causing me issues:
    A lot of the stuff they cover actually busts some of the CW myths out there so that must be a good thing. For example, recently they have covered why lard and butter are better for cooking than seed oils (tick), how red meat isn't inherently bad for you as long as it comes from well-looked after animals (tick) etc etc.

Of course they still, in the middle of this good stuff, make the odd CW blunder like "clearly you still need to limit your saturated fat intake so as to keep your cholesterol levels low"...

My biggest problem with it: The title itself. People are being asked to trust these TV doctors, because they are doctors so they must know what they are talking about. However, they spend a lot of the programme correctly de-bunking the crap that most doctors tell us all the time. So it's a case of Trust ME I'm a doctor (that knows what I'm talking about, don't trust THEM, the other doctors that don't know what they're talking about.

Mixed message or what?

I keep trying to be generous to the programme, on the basis that anything mainstream that actually corrects CW errors has to be a good thing to get the message out there and start re-educating people. But I can't help a nagging feeling that it will just confuse people more and end up with them still not knowing which doctors to TRUST, if any...

Just a rant, really, but what do you think?

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    Well, why are we so confident that we have the right answers to this deeply complicated nutrition stuff? I bet those doctors are equally confident, along with the vegetarians sure in their knowledge that red meats and butter are terribly unhealthy. And ofc there are studies that support each of these views.

Those doctors are contributing valuable input to the overall discussion, probably. If they're not right on all subjects that just leaves room for other people to come in and debunk their claims. Maybe unfortunate that people are affected by these untruths, but progress has always been slow. Doesn't mean we're not getting there.

If we're talking in terms of human health on a large scale, I don't think suggesting a limit to saturated fat is nearly as damaging as fast food chains, giant snack food companies and even normal restaurants. Seems kinda silly to be getting upset over these sorta things when there is a much bigger problem that goes largely unaddressed. A problem we can all agree on even lol.

About those specific claims they're making? I felt my healthiest when eating a high fat diet and would have no qualms with doing it again, but I'm still not 100% convinced that it's the best way to eat. Some new studies could come along and convince me that low fat high carb is somehow better. Or even that raw vegan is best. I bet if everyone followed the nutrition guidelines set out by their governments (USDA and such) we'd be much healthier on the whole than we are now.

I find it helpful to keep in mind that the people who disagree with us feel just as strongly about this stuff and have what they feel are solid reasons for believing what they do. If we listen to them politely instead of having a strong negative reaction, everyone is more likely to grow in their understanding.
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

Kimya Dawson - The Competition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUDjMpgx8U

I never wanted to be better than my friends...

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    If we just ate non processed foods, no manufacturing at all then most people would do great and docs Would have a lot less to do.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

jwellsy is online now Junior Member
    Last week my diabetic S.O. had a Dr. appointment and she asked him about carbs.

He told her that she should probably have a baked potato with each meal.

I tried to explain that potatoes are a high Glycemic-Index food that cause exaggerated swings in blood sugar, and that it's better to limit carbs & sugars to reduce the amount of insulin you have to inject.

Her reply was would a Dr. actually lead a patient astray with bad info?

YES, I said. Either he want's to keep collecting office call fees or he hasn't read anything in 30 years.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Its simply the new mode of marketing. Doctor shows are pimpin their medical model or simply getting some face time. It enhances cultural authority and also lets them throw a plug in for "whatever" from time to time. I don't enjoy being brainwashed by mass media so I tend to not watch such propaganda.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-30-2015 at 12:26 PM.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Right, this is always the game. You mix some things that are true, with some things that are false. What results is a confusing mess which the masses can't sort out. As Neck pointed out, propaganda always works this way.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Doctors for diagnostics, surgery, bone setting, etc.

For nutrition: common sense + various writers who seem to have no financial agenda. Animal products or manufactured products? It's not rocket surgery.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Can't speak for other countries but here in the UK we specialize in vague TV shows about diet and nutrition that never offer any clear answers or opinons, and usually leave me infuriated. I just avoid them recently.

sharperhawk is online now Senior Member
    The masses will get information spoonfed or not at all. People who go out of their way to read health research are a tiny minority. If the content of the show is correct more often than not, be happy.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Doctors used to prescribe Thalidomide. And other things.

Nobody is too high handed to not be a victim of misinformation.

M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast