Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 Days no Dairy Challenge... (BavarianCarrot)

21 Days no Dairy Challenge... (BavarianCarrot)

Shop Now
    As the title tells already - I want to be able to say that I tried it - and I hope I wonīt fail. Fail again, because I tried that last autumn, and gave up on day 4. Today is Day 1.
    And I need to have a place where I can put my stress and anger with my challenge down in words.

And for general information, I put my "meet and greet" post in here - I am already primal since March, 2014:

Your location: North of Munich/Bavaria, Germany

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: I am not sure - I do not eat grains, but finding purely grass fed beef is nearly impossible here - there is a farmer around here who feeds no wheat, "only" corn. This Saturday I can get a good share of a calf however, this will be "clean".

Do you consume dairy: YES

Do you drink coffee or tea: YES, coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal:
    I had to face the fact that I have the celiac disease ... but I would never have guessed that, because I was so fat (in spite of the nightly and painful visits to the toilet once or twice per week!!!).
    So I do it mainly for my health, not because I am fond of being a cave girl :-) But I am convinced I am doing the right thing in not only banish the grains that contain gluten - I read most of the articles here on MDA when I started in March 2014.
    (I have two friends who live primal, they put me on this path, one also has the celiac disease.)
    And OF COURSE I am so happy the weight problem gets smaller and smaller and... :-) !!!
    - I would never step onto a scale, but I lost 5 sizes (from 5XL to XL now). So I do not have to order clothing any more, I can walk into most shops and will even find something I can buy.

Favorite exercise:
    CYCLING !!! , nordic walking, swimming (I am still a bit to heavy to run and jump)

Favorite Primal food:
    BBQ ... !

Best part about being Primal:
    That I donīt have to count calories...!

Worst part about being Primal:
    Haha - my mother-in-law ... "Maybe this strange kind of allergy will disappear again some time?"
    And my children and husband - all Korg. :-)

This thread I found very helpful for me: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49679.html
    I felt very very guilty after reading that.

I live with my husband and my two children, and as I am the only one overweight and with health issues, I am the only one who wants to eat primal/paleo. There are certainly things like italian noodles around, bread, cereals, couscous, and cookies, and ... so far that was no problem, because eating those things will result in pain. But I just canīt leave the cheese alone, I love cheese! And yoghurt and quark (google translator says this is quark in English too??? strange) and my Espresso with milk.

I want to try the challenge because: I lost 4 sizes in clothing in 2014, but only one yet in 2015 - and I believe it is the cheese, and the yoghurt, the milk, ... I just want to give it a boost, I want to lose another size in 2015.

So on day 1 of my challenge I ate this:

Breakfast: 2 Espresso (bulletproof), 2 eggs, a bit of bacon
    Lunch: salmon (carefully fried), a big salad, 1 red pepper (raw), mashed potatoes (no milk in it), 1 Espresso decaf.
    Afternoon: mixed berries from my garden, strawberries, water melon
    Dinner: 2 Wiener sausages, mushrooms, 1 red pepper and garlic fried with coconut oil, some italian herbs and pepper and a little rest of the mashed potatoes (without milk in it of course)
    snack: vegetable crisps, Strawberries, water melon

Sports: 1h cycling (in not so wonderful weather...)
    Last edited by BavarianCarrot; 07-28-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Oh, and comments are VERY welcome. If you want.

Good luck on your attempts to give up dairy! I am dairy free and it was not an easy thing to do but I suffer from a severe sensitivity to it so I had to. Good coconut milk helps get past my needs for something creamy.

Also, Great job at losing 5 sizes! I understand your excitement about being able to go into any shop to buy your clothes. I sometimes still forget I can do that now too after so many years of having to go to the big lady stores.

Don't think I've ever heard of quark, but a search brings up lots of info. Soft German cheese? Neat

Wishing you luck as well. I've found that unsweetened cashew milk is tasty and kinda creamy. Or if you're really craving something creamy, some potato soup can hit the spot maybe. Are you trying to eat like your ancestors? Like the idea that people from different regions ate different foods and we should try to mimic OUR ancestors, not some generic idea of a caveman. If so, do you know what foods Germanic peoples ate way back when? I was trying to figure that out too 'cause I'm of (half) German descent. But was really lazy and never figured much out.

Anyway, yeah. Keep up the great work!
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

The Bird and the Bees - Love Letter to Japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWYoIoqJURA

The challenge of giving up dairy was the best thing I ever did, its hard & I failed a few times. But if you persist it may turn out for the best because it did for me!

OH - Iīve got comments, THAT is great, thank you! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post
    Are you trying to eat like your ancestors? Like the idea that people from different regions ate different foods and we should try to mimic OUR ancestors, not some generic idea of a caveman. If so, do you know what foods Germanic peoples ate way back when? I was trying to figure that out too 'cause I'm of (half) German descent. But was really lazy and never figured much out.
    Oh, I never thought of that, but thatīs an interesting question. No, not by now... I try to buy regional & seasonal products most of the time.

But as I am allergic to a long list of foods, I have to pick up foods I can eat and not to look too closely where these come from.
    I am allergic to hazelnuts, almonds, macadamias (how sad is THAT) and brazil nuts, to apples, pears, cherries, plums, peach/apricots/nectarines, sea buckthorn, so I stick to cashews and walnuts, berries, bananas, citrus fruits and melon.

So for today, I left off the second and third Espresso, because I am not used to the strong taste without milk... but I need at least that one cup in the morning. As a coffee junkie for decades I might get problems with migraines, if I leave that completely. So far primal/paleo hasnīt saved me from occasional migraine attacks (seems to be more a hormone problem).

Day 2:

Breakfast: 1 bulletproof Espresso, 1 egg, 1 avocado, a leftover potato soup with some Wienerle Sausage in it (was the childrens lunch yesterday)
    Lunch: salmon and a big (green) salad with tomatoes
    Afternoon: green grapes
    Dinner: steak & carrots/garlic with real thai green curry sauce (DIY with a bit of coconut milk)
    Snack: veggie crisps, cashews
    Last edited by BavarianCarrot; 07-29-2015 at 11:46 AM.

OK, sorry for my being so stupid - "fermented with lactic acid" - does that mean, I have to leave that in the fridge for somebody else because I cut out dairy? To me it still looks like veggies...
    edit: in the meantime someone already explained that to me, so I am now up-to-date.
    Last edited by BavarianCarrot; 07-30-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Giving up dairy was a life changer for me. I had no clue that I was constantly bloated because of dairy until I gave it up. Heck, I didn't know what bloating was because I was bloated all the time! Cheese has been a tough one for me. Every time I think I can get away with it I end up very bloated again.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Shop Now
    Day 3: Iīm still on track

Breakfast: 1 bulletproof espresso, 2 eggs, 1 Wienerle Sausage, strawberries
    Lunch: 1 mixed salad & steak with Real Thai Green Curry sauce (DIY with a bit of coconut milk), 1 espresso decaf. with a little coconut milk
    Afternoon: 10 green grapes
    Dinner: 1 big salad & a burger patty, some smoked salmon
    Snack: cashews

Sports: 80 min cycling

Snacking is a huge problem. Maybe I should just go to bed early instead...
    Last edited by BavarianCarrot; 07-31-2015 at 05:59 AM.