Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heavy cream... page 2

Odar is offline Senior Member
    OK so heres the confusion - I am new to PB and am still waiting for my book to arrive. However just trolling through all the posts in the many different topics - I got the impression that with PB you don't have to count calories to loose weight. Is this not so? I was under the impression that as long as I was low carbing and eating high fat moderate protein, I would loose weight... please let me know if I am on the wrong track... being diabetic its imperative that I not gain weight whilst trying to keep my blood sugar low

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odar View Post
    OK so heres the confusion - I am new to PB and am still waiting for my book to arrive. However just trolling through all the posts in the many different topics - I got the impression that with PB you don't have to count calories to loose weight. Is this not so? I was under the impression that as long as I was low carbing and eating high fat moderate protein, I would loose weight... please let me know if I am on the wrong track... being diabetic its imperative that I not gain weight whilst trying to keep my blood sugar low
    You are correct and eating in line with PB you will certainly not gain weight whilst keeping your blood sugar low.

To add a bit more to 'low carbing' - Paleo in general isn't really about strictly being low carb nazi's - I think thats Atkins. But by eating the quality foods that are recommended you will naturally eat low carb - its exceedingly difficult to eat 150-300g of carbs from vegetables alone. If you are trying to lose weight, just use common sense. You don't need to count calories but common sense says if you eat 5000 calories in a day and only burn 2500 of those... you will not lose weight.

You'll also find some foods that are 'OK' but have very dense calories or sugars (nuts, many fruit, many dairy products) so its easy to binge and pig out on them... thats sort of what the other poster was warning about. Eat good stuff when you are hungry and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by lecz0r; 07-18-2010 at 09:51 AM.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    The calorie thing is a bit more complicated than calories in and calories out. If weight loss were a strict matter of calories in and out then wearing a sweater would make you fat because burning calories maintains your body heat. If you're eating good foods, your body will regulate your caloric intake pretty accurately. I eat between 1500 and 2000 calories a day without measuring anything. I could not eat 5k a day on PB. i just couldn't. (This is only true if you eat when you're hungry. If you eat due to boredom, stress, or etc then you won't have such a nice automatic regulator of calories)

But, if you're eating bad foods then your body will let you eat 5k a day. HFCS doesn't set off your "I've had enough sugar" receptors, low fat doesn't trigger your "I've had enough to eat" receptors, sugar starts your blood sugar swinging wildly (triggering hunger), and if you aren't getting all your necessary vitamins your body will want you to keep eating until you do.

So I (personally) think the causal factor is backwards. It's not the calories that make you fat; it's the bad foods that let you eat all those calories that make you fat.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    My mom likes to pour heavy cream on berries or cereal. She grew up with it of course. I always thought she was crazy. Not only did I know it was bad for you, i believed I didn't even like anything that fatty

Lys
    Lys is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm loving my heavy cream too! It's amazing to me to be able to drink a cup of hot, decaf coffee with cream at night (when I tend to get the grumbly munchies) and have it keep me full until whenever it is in the morning I get around to making breakfast. It used to be I HAD to eat the second I woke up at 7 but now I'm finding myself not hungry until 10. I love not trying to force myself to go to bed hungry... you know, because it's so horrible to eat at night, even if you are actually hungry.

Dairy (mmm, love me some good cheddar on my eggs!) hasn't affected my weight loss so far and until it does, it stays. I need the variety in my cooking for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12