Thread: High resting heart rate page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    The Dutch lowlands

High resting heart rate

Shop Now
    I wonder if any of you have any advise on how to get your resting heart rate lower.
    My resting heart rate is somewhere between the 70 and the 90 beats per minute. which is pretty high and it would be healthier to have it between the 50 and 70 but I have no idea how to do this without medication.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Berserker is offline Member
    High Wycombe - UK
    Exercise regularly (HIIT is especially good for getting the heart rate up), reduce stress and make sure your bodyweight is healthy.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    A resting heart rate between 70 and 90 is fairly normal for the "normal" population. If you want to reduce your resting heart rate, some form of cardio workout is probably what will be recommended. The easiest thing to do is walk. Start slow, and build up. Walk at a leisurely pace, and over time, increase the pace, then increase the distance, and before you know it, your resting heart rate will be in the upper 60's or so. Also, make sure you are well hydrated, as that can affect your rate as well, as can medications too.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Santa Barbara
    People who have high heart rates sometimes are doing too much training. Sometimes people with very low heart rates do too much cardio and even have an enlarged athletic heart. My boyfriend is like this. I'm not saying it's a cause and effect link for every person on the planet. Just if your heart rate doesn't have a link to some actual health problem, I would not worry about it.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    True resting heart rate should be meazured in bed before rising in the morning and 50-60/min is fine. People in very good cardiovascular condition often have very low values in the 30 - 40/min range...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 07-22-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Learn More
    I would say 80-90% of people that I measure in your general demographic have a resting heart rate in that range and it is considered normal. By resting I meant they walk from the front to the back room and sit for a moment before having it taken. Yes, lower is indicative of better fitness, but not necessarily better health. Like those above stated. HIIT or even moderate aerobic work will lower it.