Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bought some baby octopie how do I prepare them so i dont die or anything? page

candy corn is offline Member

bought some baby octopie how do I prepare them so i dont die or anything?

Shop Now
    there is about 8 fresh little octopie in this package.

never bought or had these before so i dont know if i need to do anything special to them, if i can eat them straight up, or what i need to do to make them edible.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    are they fresh or frozen?

"fish" like that do best either high and fast or low and slow. i'd go slow with either a s/e asian flavor profile (ginger, lemongrass, lime, chili, coconut milk) or mediterranean (tomato, garlic, etc.)
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

they are fresh.

do i have to remove the tentacles or anything? are the heads edible.

here's a video on how to clean them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hfA5V7PBd4
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

im watching videos now and everyone is doing so much stuff a million different ways. It was only 2 bucks so im just gonna toss it I dont want to get sick.

wtf? why would you get sick? why throw away perfectly good food? just quick stir-fry it in a hot pan if you don't know how to cook.

Ernest Hemingway

ekba09 is online now Senior Member
    Most octopus you buy are already cleaned. If yours are not, just go with a method from a reliable cooking site.

Don't throw them out. You won't get sick. There might just be some not so tasty bits.

If you are really at the throw them out stage, put one on a fish hook, and throw it out into the ocean. Then cook the striped bass, or whatever you catch.

i buy fresh squid all the time and it needs cleaning before cooking, but the beak and goop are easily removed.

Ernest Hemingway

ekba09 is online now Senior Member
    Or just cut the heads off, and scrape off anything that looks like guts, and cut out any beak bits.

Learn More
    i just eat the whole thing including all the bitter insides... why not eat the guts and food that the octopus has eaten as well? but it does take time to get used to it.

The beaks are hard to chew, i don't know what they are made off, but if its calcium thats good
    Whole Foods - Veggies/Meat/Insects/Nuts/Fruit & Water
    Oh... and maybe Dirt sometimes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast