Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which canned fish brand/shop/seller is the best? page

Marik is offline Junior Member

Which canned fish brand/shop/seller is the best?

Shop Now
    I am currently living in China and wont eat any Chinese fish. So I plan on importing a big amount of canned fish.
    Any recommendation which shop or brand is the best? Since country doesn't matter because it gets send to China anyway I was thinking of something from Alaska for example. Which ones are the most natural and least chemically altered or most healthy primal?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    from whom are you having it shipped? what brands are available to ship? shipping large amounts of tins is going to be very spendy...

have you looked locally to see if you can find any canned alaskan salmon? or sardines from the mediterranean?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

in your other thread i see you have western-owned grocery chains within walking distance. for canned fish, look for "wild caught alaskan salmon" without anything added. same goes for sardines, herring, oysters and mackerel. try to get water or olive oil-packed. check the label for soy or other garbage oils. steer clear of any that are products of asian origin.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

sharperhawk is offline Senior Member
    I buy Crown Prince oysters (boiled and packed in water, but they have ones smoked and packed in olive oil too) and Brunswick sardines (also packed in water). Both brands have other versions packed in nasty oils like soybean and cottonseed, so read the labels carefully. People here have mentioned Wild Planet brand.

meetthemeat is offline Junior Member
    When I lived in China I bought mine from Metro, all imported European brands of sardines, tuna etc. quite good for olive oil, coconut milk and Kerrygold, much cheaper than the supermarkets.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

pkjody is offline Senior Member
    When looking for salmon look for Royal Red or Royal Pink made by Trident. They are 100% wild caught Alaskan salmon and come in BPA free tins. Kind of pricey but worth it.

Marik is offline Junior Member
    Well how should I put it. I have been long enough in China to trust nobody and nothing especially when it comes to food quality. There have been cases of huge international cooperations withdrawing compeltely from the Chinese market because they were unable to guarantee authentic products. They could do nothing about fakes in their own shop even with trying all their might. So in the end they chose to completely withdraw from the Chinese market in order to not have an image loss. So if not even electronics can be guaranteed then especially not food. There have been enough food scandals in tesco, metro and big supermarkets as well. If I already buy everything else from China at least fish I want to get something that is good.

I might be over worrying but health mentality in China is scary. That milk powder that killed babies or permanently destroyed their organs keeps getting reproduced and sold. Normally one would believe it to happen once and then never again. But no, each and every year those products keep reappearing on the Chinese market poisoning even more babies in a mostly single child society.

@meetthemeat: How long have you been in China? How many years ago was it? And did you have yourself checked afterwards for heavy metals, etc? I really might be overworrying, especially when it comes to canned fish which is something Chinese people normally dont eat. Did you buy almost all your food from metro?

Zlotych is offline Member
    I went a couple months ago and if you just buy your fish fresh, you'll be good to go. As in fresh, I mean swimming in a tank. The chinese are obsessed with freshness in many ways (although that doesn't explain why they love dried food so much).

meetthemeat is offline Junior Member
    I left a year ago, before that I was there for nearly ten years and no I haven't had myself tested for heavy metals.

I bought most of my meat from supermarkets like Jusco, usually imported from Australia, the locally produced meat is mostly ok just a bit on the fatty side, if you're really worried stick to supermarkets like Jusco or Olé or buy frozen from Metro, most big cities seem to have them.

The tinned fish was all imported too, all from Europe.

The only things I really avoided was the wheat based stuff, freshwater fish and eating out too much (dodgy cooking oils).

Relax a bit, enjoy the food, some of it really is unmissable.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlotych View Post
    I went a couple months ago and if you just buy your fish fresh, you'll be good to go. As in fresh, I mean swimming in a tank. The chinese are obsessed with freshness in many ways (although that doesn't explain why they love dried food so much).
    isn't most of the stuff swimming in tanks farm-raised garbage like tilapia?

– Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast