Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk inflammation... page

hw1178 is offline Member

Lets talk inflammation...

Shop Now
    To start out, I'm a big believer that inflammation is the most likely cause of many human health problems. I try very hard to avoid pro-inflammatory foods and I'm probably 85-90% primal as far as my diet and exercise is concerned.

Well, I broke my arm last week and I think I've suffered some negative side-effects due to the inflammation that it caused. Mainly, I've been constipated and my skin broke out. I'm sure the stress that the break caused probably played a role in all of this.

I've been doing my best to cool the inflammation w/ icing my arm, taking extra fish oil and eating a very clean diet, but I'm wondering if this will hinder the healing process. Isn't the inflammatory response necessary in healing our wounds? Do we interrupt the healing process when we try to subdue inflammation due to injury?

Barb is offline Senior Member
    You have it correct - inflammation is the key way our body signals that injury has occurred and repair processes are mobilized. With an acute injury, you want some inflammation. The problem is sometimes inflammation can cause so much localized swelling that blood flow and nutrients are diminished to the area. Ice can be helpful for reducing swelling (and pain!), same for keeping injured limbs elevated as much as possible. I would consider taking tylenol for pain as opposed to ibuprofen because it has no anti-inflammatory effect to impede healing. Inflammation from an acute injury tends to be localized, not systemic, so no need to go overboard on trying to reduce overall inflammation. Extra vit C and zinc helps wound healing.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Have a look at this blog by William Davis http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...vitamin-d.html

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    IM using 2 gr of Vitamin C, 2 gr of Lysine and 500 mg of proline every day to control inflammation. This is a preventive for arteriosclerosis as published by the Linus Pauling Institute but I see no reason why it wouldn't work in body toto. Best, Chas

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Have a look at this blog by William Davis http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...vitamin-d.html

+1

Vitamin d is critical for all of us. Enough to maintain 25(OH)D levels between 50 and 80 ng/mL, preferably around 65 ng/mL.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hw1178 View Post

Well, I broke my arm last week and I think I've suffered some negative side-effects due to the inflammation that it caused. Mainly, I've been constipated and my skin broke out. I'm sure the stress that the break caused probably played a role in all of this.
    Did you have any pain killers at the ER and at home? Anything with opioids in it is constipating (Vicodin, Tylenol 3s, etc).

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    One question is the bone break related to possible other conditions like osteopenia? This may be a sign of some underlying reason that could cause constipation and skin outbreaks, especially during a stressful time, such as celiac.

Regardless, staying primal and eating sufficient protein for healing is good. Also bone broths for some of the trace minerals.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm... Interesting.

I'm wondering how you are icing your arm. Assuming it's in a cast.

I've broken several bones in my life. Collar bone (dead man's drop from my crib), ForeArm (flying airplane from one bed to another), Elbow...(running, tripping full body impact right on my elbow, Leg (walking & reading at the same time not recommended). The last break was at age 27ish. I ate fairly healthy at the time. But had no knowledge of eating with the idea of anti inflammatory. It was during the holiday season. So, probably eating cookies and such at the time.

Major inflammation on day one. So much so that I couldn't be casted. (plus the DXing Doctor was an IDIOT and I wasn't going to let him deal with me at all.) By mid day 2, the swelling was naturally down substantially without any ice. But was elevated. I spent 8 weeks in a cast. My bones heal wickedly fast. I take this on the word of my 30+ year practicing Dr.. He regularly mentioned that if he didn't have old side by side x-rays to compare he would have a hard time identifying the break location. Also, the condition of your teeth are often (not always) a good indicator of bone health. I don't have any cavities either. (will be 40 next year).

As asked above, did you take any pain meds? Those will back you up. Your colon becomes relaxed too, and can't do it's job. And well, if you're THAT backed up, perhaps that's why your skin is breaking out. And yes, the stress endured could cause you to be tensing, and breaking out. But I seriously doubt the inflammation from an injury is causing these problems. You whole body isn't inflamed because of this. Just the one area. Which would be my best guess.

Hope you heal well... And don't skimp on the PT!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    Hmmm... Interesting.

I'm wondering how you are icing your arm. Assuming it's in a cast.

I've broken several bones in my life. Collar bone (dead man's drop from my crib), ForeArm (flying airplane from one bed to another), Elbow...(running, tripping full body impact right on my elbow, Leg (walking & reading at the same time not recommended).
    OMG. Some serious vitamin D deficiency was going on in utero and forward from there. Most of those breaks shouldn't have happened.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

hw1178 is offline Member
    Thanks for all of the replies. I was taking 1000 mg of lortabs just before bed to help me sleep. I only took them for 3 days. I guess that could have caused my symptoms. I have celiac disease and have been gluten free for a little less than two years. I had a bone density scan when I was diagnosed with celiac disease and it was normal at the time. I just went to the dentist and my teeth are in great shape (according to the dentist).

I was taking about 2000 IUs of D3 per day before I broke my elbow as I do get a lot of time in the sun this time of year. I have bumped up my D3 to 4000 IUs per day now. I went back to the Dr two weeks after the break and he was impressed with how fast I was healing, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Twinmama: I'm actually not in a cast. I just have to wear a sling for 6 weeks. I'm not icing it at all right now, though. The swelling is pretty much gone. The break was in the elbow (radial head fracture). I guess they don't cast those.

Egoldstein: Bone broth is a good idea. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks. A delicious bowl of pho would probably hit the spot.
    Last edited by hw1178; 07-25-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast