Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal SPOM

Primal Journal SPOM

Shop Now
    I decided to keep a journal to help measure progress in my quest. I discovered Paleo in March of 2014 when I read Dr Terry Wahls book. I immediately changed my diet and have not looked back. Soon thereafter I also found Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson and others. I don't believe in the 80/20 rule. I'm not doing the diet to lose weight but rather to cure me of an autoimmune condition-MS and try and get a normal life.

Food: I eat sardines just about everyday for breakfast as well as avocado and sauerkraut. I make liver about once a week and try to alternate between chicken and beef liver. I love salmon but it's expensive. I eat grass fed meat and chicken and occasionally pork. I recently reintroduced eggs into my diet but am having second thoughts and monitoring my gut reactions closely after eating them. I've made fixing my gut a top priority, eating fermented pickles, sauerkraut, coconut milk, Kombucha, adding collagen and glutamine to my daily smoothie. I eat a big salad everyday - mixed greens, onions, mushrooms, radishes, broccoli, evoo, balsamic.

Exercise: I recently introduced dumbbell weights to my fitness routine which consists of walking everyday - minimum 0.75 miles to max of ~11 miles. If I do a long walk, I have to stop and rest about every 3 miles or 60 minutes otherwise I start to get a right foot drop and am susceptible to tripping and falling. I trip and fall about twice a year resulting in scrapes but no broken bones. My fitness routine has been largely bodyweight pushups and squats and bike sprints:

Mon/Thu 100 Push-ups, 200 squats (4 sets of 25 push-ups and 50 squats with about a minute to 90 seconds rest between sets). This is challenging for me and has me sweaty and winded at the finish.

Dumbbell weight trying was recently added:
    One arm DB row
    Stiff arm DB pullover
    Flatt DB bench press
    Supine lateral raises
    Dips
    DB shrugs
    Pendlay rows
    DB curls
    Bent over DB lat raises
    Seated DB shoulder press
    DB lat raises
    Tricep Pushbacks
    Preacher curls
    Also do Chest press machine and Sit-ups

This seems like a lot of exercises and maybe it's too much. I want to simplify it but am not sure where to eliminate stuff. I don't have access to barbells. If I did then I'd do starting strength and keep it real simple with squats, deadlifts and press. I want to strengthen my back as the back is the key to strength.

Pull-ups: I am weak and can barely kinda do one pull-up. So I've been doing dead hangs to strengthen my grip strength (5 sets of a 20 second count, try to increase # of seconds progressively) Also been doing negative pullups and trying to hold/slowly descend at key trouble areas. Also doing 3 sets of 8 or 10 reps of Australian pullups. (Need to use the lower bar but it's always muddy their.) I should also try and work on scapular pull-ups. Read this article by Melody Shoenfeld on pull-up tips: https://breakingmuscle.com/strength-...er-at-pull-ups.

Tue/Fri Bike sprints. I warm up for 2 minutes at resistance level 12 (scale is 1 to 20). Then do 5 sets of 20 second sprint at resistance level 14 (rpm gets up to between 100 and 110), followed by 40 seconds at level 12 with normal rpm (~70 rpm). Then do 5 minutes recovery at normal rpm. Then do another 5 sets of the sprints. This leaves me sweaty and winded.

Wed/Sat/Sun rest days

Stats:
    48, male
    5'8"
    140 lbs (wouldn't mind adding 5 to 15 lbs of lean muscle)

Fitness: Upper body is sore today so I'm guessing DBs had some effect - they better, it took forever to get done with the gym yesterday. Did my bike sprint session today. That wears me out but in a good way. I think the sprints help stimulate hgh which should help produce more mitochondria and energy in the long run.

Need to work on improving my sleep, I wake up a lot at night. Why can't I just sleep thru the whole night without peeing every two hours? Might get some Pyegum or saw palmetto and see if that helps or I'll take a large dose of melatonin and feel drugged tomorrow.

Food is doing good. Only ate the egg yolks today and threw out the whites and no stomach rumblings afterwards. Think I'll continue on just the yolks and see how it goes. I'm getting sick of broccoli. I bought a ton last weekend at the farmers market. It's almost gone and I generally like it but today's salad was the "I'm tired of eating tons of broccoli breaking point" Maybe I'll get asparagus tomorrow. I'm making a concerted effort to eat more fermented food which means sauerkraut, pickles, coconut yogurt, and/ or Kombucha at every meal. One of these days I'll make a trip to the Asian market and get some kimchi and other exotic goodies.

I wonder how much protein I'm getting in my diet? I don't think I'm getting enough. I had two egg yolks which is low in protein but high in nutrients, two or three sardines (~14g), a hamburger (~25-30g) two spinach smoothies with added glutamine, gelatine and rice protein powder (~25g each). I also had veggies and some cherries and a small bit of liverwurst. I should probably eat seconds on the meat or make another smoothie but I'm not hungry and I only eat when I'm hungry. Well, I'll see how it goes just by using my internal hunger baromete. But if I'm making a concerted effort to lift weights and exercise more I should be more hungry?

Time to dream -may they be filled with goodness and the nature.

Tired all day. Didn't sleep well last night. Still waking up about three times to pee. Started taking saw palmetto. I'll see if that can help. Went a few walks today, probably 5 or 6 miles total. Wanted to go farther but no energy today,just wanted to go home and nap. Picked up some peaches at farmers market. Increased my food and carb consumption today with peaches, cherries, purple potatoes, and whatever carbs are in my big salad and smoothie and other foods (kraut, sardines, eggs yolks, almond butter, olives) Definitely not near ketosis with this carb intake. I may look into supplementing with keto force and mct oil to kick start a keto phase, but I first want to try and fix my fatigue issues. But maybe long term keto is the answer to fatigue? If I feel refreshed tomorrow, I may hit the gym and do my lifting on Sunday instead of Monday. Time to sleep (or at least try).

Fitness: Missed a day yesterday it got back on track today with dumbbell weight lifting, push-ups and squats in the morning and bike sprints in the afternoon. Tomorrows a rest day but I may try and do some negatives on the pull-up bar.
    Food: not hungry today so didn't eat until noon.
    Sleep: still sucks. Going to take melatonin tonight and try to reboot my circadian rhythm to a normal cycle

Fitness: Today was a "rest" day. I took several walks doing errands and such and just to get outside in the sun for some vitamin D. Probably got in 8 or 9 miles total. A few years ago I had a Fitbit for tracking miles but it gave me a nasty rash, which is supposedly from a nickel allergy, so I returned it and used the refund to buy hiking boots which I love.

I did several random sets of push-ups throughout the day, kind of a grease the groove thing with push-ups to help me progress. My new long term goal is to be able to do 100 consecutive push-ups before failure. The last time I tested myself I could do thirty so I have a ways to go.

I went to the park and did 5-6 dead hangs on the pull-up bar for thirty seconds each. Also did 5-6 negative pullups with a real slow descent, holding at several places. Also did 4 sets of Australian pullups on the lowest bar. I can do 1 pull-up on the rings but not two. I think I'll go back tomorrow or Friday and do 10 sets of one pull-up and see if that helps.

After reading today's post, I may increase my bike sprint sessions to three times per week to increase mitochondria biosynthesis. Also contemplating doing Tabata sessions of push-ups and squats and see how that compares to my usual 100 push-up / 200 squats routine. I have a feeling that Tabata will kick my ass even though it's only four minutes.

It's seems like when I start to get a routine down, I read something new, become intrigued and change up my routine. I wonder if this constant changing will sabotage my fitness progress?

Food: Breakfast was hard boiled eggs and bacon, a few strawberries, blueberries, fermented coconut milk, and sauerkraut. I ate both the yolks and the egg whites and could definitely sense my gut not approving of the whites so I think in the future it will be strictly just yolks. Lunch is less structured - I have a green smoothie everyday sometime between breakfast and dinner. Smoothie is frozen spinach and blueberries, 1/3 of a frozen banana, 1/3 can of coconut cream milk, powdered glutamine, collagen, rice protein, matcha tea, nutritional yeast, Tumeric root, ginger root, water. Dinner was a big salad and 1/3rd pound of chicken tenders and a few cherries for dessert.

Sleep: took melatonin last night and it helped. Will take it again tonight.

Sleep: Yesterday turned out to be a real "rest" day. I slept terrible Wednesday night even though I took melatonin so I didn't have much energy at all. Did one short walk of 3/4 mile and that was it. Today was better. Took melatonin again last night and slept better. - only woke up to pee once. Don't know if that was due to lack of fluids or saw palmetto taking effect but I appreciated my bladder giving me a break for the night. Even felt a little groggy today, one of the side effects of melatonin. I wonder if melatonin is tolerant resistive? I don't want it to become dependent on it but at least, in the short term, I'm going to keep taking it until I get my sleep straightened out. I just want my sleep to be like when I was a kid and slept solid and woke up refreshed.

Fitness: Today I lifted Dumbbells. It felt good. Did my full routine, but I've been doing the weights by memory. Going to investigate some apps for logging my workouts so I don't have to remember what weight I did or the sets and reps. My memory is good but... Since I'm a newbie, I'm erring on the side of lighter weights and focusing on my form. The DB pullover is scary in that I want to be certain the weight is not too heavy that I drop it on my face whilst doing the exercise. I went to the park and did Australian pullups with both overhand and underhand grips. 3 sets of 8 each. Did a couple chin ups on the chains, but not consecutively, and a couple dead hangs and negatives. Didn't have much energy so I called it quits. Tomorrow's plan is for push-ups, squats, planks and tabata bike sprints.

Food: I stuffed myself yesterday and wasn't hungry this morning so did my DB lifting fasted. First meal after workout was smoothie shake, hamburger, sardines, liverwurst, blueberries. Dinner will be big salad and wild sockeye salmon. I eat the salmon skin too. (Grok did too)

I had a dream about Gorbags old lady making a business selling bacon, dulse and tomato collard green wraps. I woke up, gathered my senses, pinched a Bristol #3, went to the farmers market and trader joes. Looking forward to my tabatas in a good, sick way.

Tabatas: finished 4 minutes tabata seconds on stationary bike. 8 reps of 20 seconds / 10 seconds. Did it at level 14 (scale goes 1-20). Warmed up for 6 minutes. 1st couple reps were at RPMs ~110-113. Reps 7&8 were at RPMs ~90-93. Curiously, I didn't sweat as much as I do when I do my normal bike intervals which is a brief 2 min warmup at resistance level 12, then 5 sets of 20 second sprints at resistance level 14 (rpm gets up to between 100 and 110), followed by 40 seconds at level 12 with normal rpm (~70 rpm). Then do 5 minutes recovery at normal rpm. Then do another 5 sets of the sprints. This leaves me sweaty and winded. I also didn't have the right foot/leg fatigue that usually hobbles me after sprints. I wonder if tabatas protocol of 20 on and 10 off is the ideal sprint protocol or if other variations are just as or more effective? My goal for sprinting is to build up cardiovascular fitness and also increased mitochondria biogenesis.

Read this nerd fitness post where he advocates getting the body weight exercises down first before hitting the free weights: Rage Against the Machine: How to Switch from Exercise Machines to Free Weights | Nerd Fitness
    He also hates machines. My challenge is the pull-up which I'm still too weak at to do more than one at a time. The hard part is getting the chin up over the bar. So, I did 6 reps of dead hangs for 30 seconds and 6 negatives, descending real slowly. Also did 3 sets of Australian pullups. It seemed like I was relying on my forearms a lot, and they're very weak. Oh well, regardless, I need to hit the Dumbbells again today and try and strengthen my back and shoulders. I think that's the key to getting good at pullups.

Learn More
    Lifted dumbbells today, felt good. Did not do my 100 push-ups and 200 squats. It's hard to motivate for that after lifting. I may change my weekly routine yet again so that I do the 100 push-ups, 200 squats on Saturdays and maybe Wednesdays. Or maybe I should just suck it up and stop being a wuss and do them tonight? I like having rest days - I think they are important - and currently Wednesdays and Sundays are earmarked as rest days. I just wish I was already strong and fit so I could just go into a maintenance routine. I'll just keep plugging away and keep my diet clean, remembering that diet 80% of it.