Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back.. need some accountability (virtual hugs accepted too :) page

vintageeats is offline Senior Member

Back.. need some accountability (virtual hugs accepted too :)

Shop Now
    Hi folks,

I'm Jen. Longtime listener, caller a handful of times (have fallen off the wagon more times than I care to admit). I don't even have the bandwidth to write my full story here now and in general, am feeling pretty low in terms of energy, clarity and self-esteem. So, I'm just going to post this little note and aim to write something positive every day about how I'm taking care of myself. Build my foundation up slowly, with support, instead of trying to do things fast and alone.

Today's positive action: Re-establishing contact with the Primal community

CW: 174
    GW: 135

leighlu is offline Senior Member
    You go girl!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back, fellow Jen! You are already very wise in your approach - building up slowly with support. One of the most important things is that you've got to leave the past in the past. Don't let what's happened before hinder your goals, your hope, or your motivation. It can hold you back only if you let it. If you wash your hands of it other than the positive lessons learned that will help you on THIS journey, there's no limit on what you can do, or even more importantly, what you think you can do! We're gonna fall down many times, what matters is that we keep getting right back up. You're up! You're here and that's awesome.

Keep in mind that there are many different ways to "do" the primal lifestyle. Enjoy it and know that it will make you feel better in every way. Have fun finding out which things work for you and don't be afraid to try those that are new to you. There's no other way for us to figure out our own specific formula.

Looking forward to following your progress.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Welcome back, fellow Jen! You are already very wise in your approach - building up slowly with support. One of the most important things is that you've got to leave the past in the past. Don't let what's happened before hinder your goals, your hope, or your motivation. It can hold you back only if you let it. If you wash your hands of it other than the positive lessons learned that will help you on THIS journey, there's no limit on what you can do, or even more importantly, what you think you can do! We're gonna fall down many times, what matters is that we keep getting right back up. You're up! You're here and that's awesome.

Keep in mind that there are many different ways to "do" the primal lifestyle. Enjoy it and know that it will make you feel better in every way. Have fun finding out which things work for you and don't be afraid to try those that are new to you. There's no other way for us to figure out our own specific formula.

Looking forward to following your progress.
    Thank you so much for the bolstering message, Jen! I think letting go of the past needs to be something I do generally in my life... I have had the same goals for who knows how long. It's almost as if I'm derailing myself because I'm too afraid of what I'd be capable of if I actually achieved the old and set new ones.

The funny thing is, I *know* how to lose weight and have done it before. I know this way of eating works for me, and it keeps coming up, over and over again, as the way to achieve this goal. Just have to keep doing my best to make progress and try to ignore those perfectionistic tendencies... And not be afraid to experiment and iterate in the name of feeling my best.

Today's positive action: Got a good night's sleep last night and ate a home-cooked breakfast and lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by leighlu View Post
    You go girl!
    *Fist bump*

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    I think letting go of the past needs to be something I do generally in my life... I have had the same goals for who knows how long. It's almost as if I'm derailing myself because I'm too afraid of what I'd be capable of if I actually achieved the old and set new ones.

The funny thing is, I *know* how to lose weight and have done it before. I know this way of eating works for me, and it keeps coming up, over and over again, as the way to achieve this goal. Just have to keep doing my best to make progress and try to ignore those perfectionistic tendencies...
    This just in...... WE SHARE A BRAIN! We have far much more in common than just our name. I have been there more than once and will always have to watch those tendencies. Holy cow! I'm actually a little freaked out, that hits so close to home. Wow.

Hooray for your good night's sleep and two home-cooked meals! You're off to a great start.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    This just in...... WE SHARE A BRAIN! We have far much more in common than just our name. I have been there more than once and will always have to watch those tendencies. Holy cow! I'm actually a little freaked out, that hits so close to home. Wow.

Hooray for your good night's sleep and two home-cooked meals! You're off to a great start.
    I was reading another person's journal on here where s/he talked about stability versus chaos and bouncing between those poles. It made me think about how boring sticking to a routine can be, but how freeing it could become when you build in moments of spontaneity. There's another quote I came across yesterday (from Whole30, actually) that basically said, you can do or have almost whatever you want at any given time--Jen's editorial comment, "this is the world we live in"--you have choices and then you have consequences for making those choices. A friend modified, calling it a process of tradeoffs. So, I guess what's on my mind today is building a framework that makes sense for me, that keeps me on an even keel MOST of the time, and then finding pleasure in indulgences. Lately, it's felt like all indulgences, all the time--and that's no good.

Today's positive action: Packed gym clothes so I can go there straight from work. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to the gym before the party I'm having at my house. Planned from before, this'll be an adult ice cream social. Trying to plan that indulgence and enjoy the company of my friends, rather than the company of the sweets.
    Last edited by vintageeats; 07-10-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Alright, two days' worth of commentary here:

Ice cream social turned into a little bit of a free-for-all and ended in late night Mexican food. Then, the following morning, I had breakfast at a soul food joint with a mentor. I'm noticing that the "throw the baby out with the bathwater" mentality is subsiding; ordinarily at a taco joint, I'd order three tacos and house it all with rice and guac and Jarritos. Friday night, I ordered two and barely touched the rice. The soul food on Saturday morning was pretty good, but I stopped eating when I was full (and left a whole lot of food on the plate). The next meal was a very healthy one.

Starting to moderate the alcohol as well. There's a jazz club in town where the music is pretty good. I went alone last night and just nursed a neat bourbon at the bar. Something to get me out of the house, one drink and then back home for a good night's sleep. Went to the gym on Friday before ice cream madness and this morning, and will aim to do it consistently three times a week.

Lost a pound. Ate a little too much during family dinner last night, but went home, stopped eating for the night and immediately started cooking for this upcoming week. I hit two farmers markets late last week, and picked up an abundance of produce. In summer, I mentally transport myself back to Eastern Europe, where I lived for a couple of years, and start cooking the recipes we ate at the dacha. Veggies grown 10 feet away, very simple preparations, building up an appetite by first working or foraging for berries/mushrooms and THEN eating.

Today's positive actions: homemade breakfast and lunch, with lots of fresh vegetables. Come to think of it, dinner will be that too. Going to give Zumba class at the gym a try later.

SW: 174
    CW: 173
    GW: 135

Learn More
    Now you *know* it's summer when the Russian recipes start rolling out. The latest thing I've made is vinegret, which is a salad consisting of beets, potatoes, sauerkraut and pickles. Tossed a hard-boiled egg in and made dressing out of sunflower oil and white vinegar. Have been tracking what I eat on MyFitnessPal, along with calories burned through exercise.

Last night, I tried Zumba for the first time and it was fun! The instructor looked like a dark-haired Cyndi Lauper and was just as excitable. She kept us moving for the greater part of 50 minutes. It was hellishly hot in the gym, but I figured, in addition to weight, I've got a lot of toxic stuff--emotionally and otherwise--to sweat out too. I'll go back.

Today's positive actions: same as yesterday, sans Zumba. I'll try to get 10,000 steps in instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast