Thread: How do YOU determine if you're hungry vs boredom, habitual eating, etc page

Oldehiker is online now Junior Member

How do YOU determine if you're hungry vs boredom, habitual eating, etc

Shop Now
    I've dieted for so long I don't have any idea how to read my body's signals. I've decided to try asking myself a question (when I can remember to do it). Do I feel motivated enough to pick up a spear and go hunt down my next meal or can I wait a little longer? So far this kind of helps me, but still not quite sure.

What do you do to distinguish between not really hungry and yes it's time to feed myself?

Thanks for your input!

Orange is offline Senior Member
    A question I ask myself all the time to determine the difference is... Do I feel like eating a big plate of broccoli? If I don't, I know that I'm not hungry and am just wanting food for some other reason, for example because I am bored or stressed or anxious or trying to find an excuse to procrastinate.

Urja is online now Senior Member
    I never get tummy rumbles anymore. Too many times of ignoring an empty stomach! For me real hunger makes me feel low in energy, tired, unable to think straight and unhappy. I don't tend to get it on day one of undereating, it takes a day or two. I don't have a huge amount of body fat to use for energy when I undereat so i am not surprised I feel crappy. I used to ignore these feelings and keep going, but then I realised that it's a foolproof way of knowing that I need more to eat and I should pay attention.

PoisonIvy is offline Senior Member
    Emotional hunger comes on quickly (and some times franticly or meanderingly) and can not be satisfied.
    Hunger comes on slowly and is not desperate.
    I will start to lose focus and concentration. There is a 'true' voice it is calm that says 'it's time to eat' at this point I can hold off eating for a bit if need be. That voice is the same one that tells me I'm full. I get this when I'm off the sugar rollercoaster.

If I ignore the queues for long enough I will get a little light headed at this point I'll reach for anything to eat.

My tummy rarely rumbles.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hello from a fellow hiker

I would echo what Poison Ivy says.

Also, I did find that keeping carbs low (and protein up) was quite a successful appetite suppressant. It was not sustainable though, as it made me quite grumpy - just not hungry lol.

Tummy rumbles are more related to indigestion than to hunger. Staying home leads to more grazing, keeping busy helps keep my mind off food.

To distinguish, honestly sometimes I look at the clock. If it's 10am and I haven't had breakfast yet then yes I would feed myself.
    Last edited by Annieh; Today at 03:22 AM.

John Caton is online now Senior Member
    If I'm out of the sugar dependence, from which I'm fortunately in remission now, I rarely get hungry at all. I eat at regular times, three times daily, whether I'm feeling hungry or not. Most of my meals are fat heavy, with what few carbs I eat loaded at breakfast and lunch.

If I yield to sugar treats, placed in front of me by the devil, all bets are off. It won't be hunger that drives me, but simple addiction. Afterwards, I'll blame "hunger" but intellectually I'll know the sugar is messing with me and I'll have to quit sugar cold turkey, with considerable emotional pain. To steal and corrupt a phrase from the substance abuse recovery community, "Ten brownies are not enough, and one brownie is too many".
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Oldehiker is online now Junior Member
    Wow, so far I've gotten some good answers so far. THANK YOU!
    Unrelated to the hunger question; I may order the Primal Blueprint before the weekend is out.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I started fixing my concept of hunger with Orange's idea of picking a benchmark food. Something you find tolerable but entirely boring. Hard-boiled eggs or canned tuna work for me. I like them okay, but not excited about ever eating them. If I was hungry enough that I want one of those things, I knew I was legitimately hungry.
    The Champagne of Beards

d-roc is offline Member
    To determine if you are really hungry (outside of scheduled meal times):

1. Eat an apple
    2. Proceed to eat something else if still hungry
    3. If you don't feel like eating an apple, you weren't really hungry, so don't eat anything.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd recommend fasting as long as tolerable....up to 3 days or so. Get to know what real hunger feels like. Many people have totally forgotten! I have not read all the replies, but once you know what hunger is, employing the above by d-roc and RM would be a pretty solid method.