Thread: Feeling Panic page

hugaroni is offline Junior Member

Feeling Panic

Shop Now
    I'm brand new to eating primally, and as I read the info I feel more and more negative thoughts and "I can't" statements enveloping me. I can handle the food pyramid and elimination of grains, but the endless specificity makes me feel like this is impossible. For example, I'm ok with putting oil and vinegar on my salad, but then I read it has to be a special EVOO that most restaurants don't offer. Or, I can tolerate going to Starbucks and ordering a full fat latte, but then I read it's better to use heavy whipping cream.

Does anyone have advice on how to not throw in the towel before I even start?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Endless specificity?

Weird; it's super easy for me. Eat real food, don't eat the crappy stuff, done and done.

I do remember there was a bit of a learning curve trying to figure out what was good and bad, but...it's easy.

Don't stress.

Urja is online now Senior Member
    Hmm I've never found primal particularly hard to stick with. The big nos are grains, legumes and vegetable oils. Milk is fine by primal as long as it agrees with you. Mark also says "don't let perfect be the enemy of the good". Even if you don't manage to be "perfect", if most of your diet comes from meat and veg and fruits and lovely fresh things like that, your health is bound to be better.

John Caton is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugaroni View Post
    I'm brand new to eating primally, and as I read the info I feel more and more negative thoughts and "I can't" statements enveloping me. I can handle the food pyramid and elimination of grains, but the endless specificity makes me feel like this is impossible. For example, I'm ok with putting oil and vinegar on my salad, but then I read it has to be a special EVOO that most restaurants don't offer. Or, I can tolerate going to Starbucks and ordering a full fat latte, but then I read it's better to use heavy whipping cream.

Does anyone have advice on how to not throw in the towel before I even start?
    For a while, don't worry about all the rules. It can be overwhelming. The rules are just sign-posts along the path to "optimal". But, progress is progress. Start with what you feel comfortable with and as you feel better, you can make whatever additional choices you feel comfortable making.

If you are comfortable with just dropping the grains and refined seed oils, you are way ahead of the general population and you'll get miraculous results.

Avoiding refined oils is difficult when eating out. Everyone complains of the challenges faced at restaurants. Best advice is simply to avoid or at least limit the items you know to have added oils. Salad dressings are particularly challenging. Getting the dressing on the side will help you, at least to limit the quantity consumed. I've learned that just a"drop" per fork-full adds enough taste that I can eat a salad and still send 3/4ths of the dressing back to the kitchen.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

hugaroni is offline Junior Member
    I'm a teacher, so I like to assign letters to everything! Today was my first day trying to eat primal, and I'm curious what feedback you'd give me. Please keep in mind each of these meals was from a restaurant, as I travel cross country. I know it wasn't perfect, but I'm thinking it was maybe a B?

Breakfast: full fat latte, 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon.

Lunch: grilled chicken salad with kale, banana peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, and craisins - 2 dips of my salad in a balsamic vinaigrette.

Snack: a handful of cocoa dusted almonds and a handful of macadamia nuts.

Dinner: 2 buffalo wings, tomato and fresh mozzarella salad, half of a miso glazed chicken breast with spinach and squash.

John Caton is online now Senior Member
    I'm a teacher, so I like to assign letters to everything! Today was my first day trying to eat primal, and I'm curious what feedback you'd give me. Please keep in mind each of these meals was from a restaurant, as I travel cross country. I know it wasn't perfect, but I'm thinking it was maybe a B?

Lunch: grilled chicken salad with kale, banana peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, and craisins - 2 dips of my salad in a balsamic vinaigrette.

Dinner: 2 buffalo wings, tomato and fresh mozzarella salad, half of a miso glazed chicken breast with spinach and squash.
    I'd give you an A-. Pretty darned good for restaurant fare (really difficult). The "minus" is based on the assumption your latte was sugar-ladened. Good job!
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

PoisonIvy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

LOL teachers

I'm thinking A.