Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs - which would you choose? page

TinaC is offline Senior Member

Eggs - which would you choose?

Shop Now
    In my local supermarkets I have a few choices for eggs. In addition to the regular conventional eggs I can choose from these:

Omega 3 Eggs
    Organic Eggs
    Cage Free

All are fed a "vegetarian diet" which probably means grains, but these are my choices, so which one is the best. I would like Organic Omega 3 Cage Free, but it isn't an option.

So which one is most beneficial to me?

Thanks,
    Tina

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I go with the Omega 3 when I can't find eggs from "pastured" chickens.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ga-3-eggs.html
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ured-eggs.html

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I used to have these same options, and was always torn between Omega 3 and Organic. On the one hand, more O3 is never a bad thing when you eat many conventional meats like I do, and it means they're probably fed less grains. But then again, to raise chickens without antibiotics must mean they're treated fairly well, so maybe organic is good.

I never did decide for sure, but usually bought the Omega 3 (400mg per egg). I eventually managed to find local pastured eggs at a natural food store/co-op so it's not an issue for me anymore.

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    I go for the Omega 3, because I can't eat fish or nuts. However, if the organic is on sale for a cheaper price, I would go that way.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I usually go for OG + cage free.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    From a dietary perspective, I'd probably go with the omega 3. The USDA doesn't regulate most of the marketing labels for eggs, so what does cage free or free range really mean? There is no definition like there is for USDA certified organic. So, if you are looking for cruelty free eggs, you really need to know the source - which usually means going local.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I'd buy all three and see which tastes better and have the most orange yolk.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    I would go with cage free (most eggs are now fortified with omega 3's, from the labels I have seen. While cage free doesn't mean that they are free range, it does mean that they are not kept in batteries, which to me is much less cruel for the chickens and while still stressful (many live under a roof and still never see daylight and have to compete for space, but their lives are better - chicken are mean and can easily peck each other to death), the chickens have to be healthier than battery hens who basically cannot move.

I am going to start looking for pastured eggs though.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    From a dietary perspective, I'd probably go with the omega 3. The USDA doesn't regulate most of the marketing labels for eggs, so what does cage free or free range really mean? There is no definition like there is for USDA certified organic. So, if you are looking for cruelty free eggs, you really need to know the source - which usually means going local.
    Cage free means the chickens live in some type of barn, not in cages. Free Range means they live in a barn, not in cages, but it requires there is an open door that they can use to go outside. However, there are no requirements as to what's outside that door, so it could just lead to a cement lot.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Why aren't you able to buy pastured eggs? They are cheaper for me.

I can buy organic cage free at Meijer for about $3.36 per dozen. Or I can go to the farmers market and buy pastured eggs for $2.50 per dozen. I will soon visit the farm where I bought my 1/2 cow from and buy tons of eggs for $2 per dozen and get 3 dozen free for the visit.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast