Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockin' body on a nutritionally devoid diet??? page

veggiedaddy is offline Junior Member

Rockin' body on a nutritionally devoid diet???

Shop Now
    Hi everyone I was hoping to hear some thoughts about a buddy of mine's body composition transformation. Over the past year or so, he's managed to pack on solid muscle, get stronger, and most surprisingly, get leaner (he's got a full 6 pack!) while eating absolute crap (the funny thing is, he thinks what he's eating is really healthy). His diet (he described a typical day):

1. Cereal and Milk
    2. PB & J
    3. Turkey Sandwich
    4. "2 pounds" (exaggerating to emphasize the quantity) of pasta

He's been known to hold his own against pizza and ice cream as well....

All white carbs, all grains, no fruits of any sort (he's "allergic"-- wtf lol?), certainly no more than 3 servings of veggies a week, and definitely not much protein. He's basically doing everything "wrong" on the nutritional end yet his body composition has improved!

Is weight training really that powerful? I mean you hear all the time that "you can't out-train a bad diet". Even so, when he describes his workout it's just as bad as his diet! Curls, Bench Press, Pullups, and 15-20 minutes of isolated ab work 3-5x a week!. No variety whatsoever and certainly isn't balanced...yet his posture isn't bad, hasn't run into any injuries, and like I said, he's built some decent muscle in the past year.

I would chalk it up to genetics but everyone else in his family is obese. Also I'm tending to think this isn't an unusual case because I have another friend who managed to build muscle on an equally bad diet and training regimen, while maintaining his 6-pack abs.

Any thoughts?

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    He probably has similar genes to my husband -- he can work out (lift) for a week and get incredible muscle definition (regardless of diet). He is tall and thin (6' 4" and 180-195 depending) and very strong. He lifted regularly maybe 20 years ago but does not now. However, he, his brother, and dad all have this build -- very cut chest, arms, back, abs (although he does have skinny legs), and if he lifts even just a little, he looks amazing. Shoot, he works hard in the yard and garden in the summer (doesn't work out per se and gets more definition). He says it genetics, and I agree. Some people would have to work very hard to achieve that definition and be very strict with eating; others not so much.

This isn't fair, is it?!

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    Steroids he is not admitting to would be my first guess with all the muscle he is apparently building.

Acmebike is offline Member
    Just think how well such an individual would do on a primal/paleo food and life plan! And a look at the fellow's older relatives could give you an idea of his long term health.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Does he do any sprints or similar?

chia is offline Senior Member
    his age would be interesting to know.... if he's a young guy...than that would explain alot....

he's 21

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Does he do any sprints or similar?
    nope, no sprints! just the occasional elliptical machine ~20-30 mins. nothing too structured though.

Quote Originally Posted by Acmebike View Post
    Just think how well such an individual would do on a primal/paleo food and life plan! And a look at the fellow's older relatives could give you an idea of his long term health.
    Tell me about it! I tried introducing him to the PB *style* of living, but he gave me the whole moderation talk. And while I tend to agree to an extent (since I'm nowhere near 100% paleo since I tend to eat a few slices of sprouted grain bread a day and enjoy dairy), I feel as though he's just trying to justify eating processed foods and a crap-load of carbs.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    And here I am, eating almost strictly primal, doing only compound exercises, and still got a flabby stomach. Sigh.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast