Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: From Perfect Paleo to Sloppy Primal page

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

From Perfect Paleo to Sloppy Primal

Shop Now
    This is going to be a temporary journal to entertain myself while I kill time in the hospital with my son. It's not an emergency, he has Cystic Fibrosis and occasionally he has to be hospitalized to improve his health. This will be our third stay at this hospital. He typically has to be in for 2 weeks. I may go into the details of his condition later.

But why the title? My husband and I had just started doing very clean paleo, no alcohol, dairy and as always no gluten or seed oils. We were only about 5 days in when it became apparent that our son needed to go the hospital. We live about 3 hrs away from the hospital, plus my car recently died, so there was no question but that I would also stay in the hospital. Hubby drove us here today. We are in SF in a nice neighborhood, gourmet grocery stores w/in walking distance, fridge in our room and a microwave down the hall. Back to the title, I pretty much would make myself crazy if I tried to eat paleo in this situation. I'm going to do the best I can and indulge a bit. For me that means dairy and a little wine.
    I will not be able to avoid the dreaded seed oils they cook with, but I did bring my own olive oil dressing and pastured butter. I picked up some lovely Blue Costello and oat GF crackers and bottle of dry Rose.

I'm off to buy wheat free tamari and beef broth that is freshly made at the butcher up the street.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Meant2Move is offline Senior Member
    Wishing you and your son well.

Let's see - don't we call wine a 'sensible indulgence'? Have at it!
    M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
    - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, when the wife was in the hospital I did the best I could, but it gets sloppy when you are out of your controlled environment. The food supply is so corrupted, picking the lesser of evils is all one can do. Good luck!

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Wishing speedy healing for your son!

I wish I wasn't leaving tomorrow! I would love to meet up with you!

Your evening cheese and wine sound yummy!

Thanks everyone! I also had a spinach salad with turkey, not too bad given the circumstances.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    How about Spam, 99% pork!

Not totally joking, I'm actually pro-spam in desperate conditions.

I've never cared for spam. I have access to meat here, it's just not the quality that I'm used to. I'm pretty spoiled at home, we buy grassfed beef, half a cow at a time and we raise rabbits and pigs.

Man
    Man is offline Member
    @Urban Forager

2 weeks you say ? Never mind then. Just make sure you eat whole foods as much as you can have access to. The rest is minutia that has no relevance. Mind your portions but not the quality in every aspect. You can't worry about what you cannot control. I mean, 2 weeks, what are you afraid of ?

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    UF,
    I hope you had a restful night.

I know in the East Bay there are some great markets and I bet there are some in the city as well. Prices aren't going to be what you are used to either. I suffered from sticker shock when I first moved here. There is a great farmers market at the Ferry building on Embarcadero on the weekends.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ugh, very rough night. The IV kept beeping and malfunctioning, son had a fever and a pain in his lung. He had to do a breathing treatment at 3 am. There will be coffee consumed this morning. Very glad I brought a sleeping mask, the darkness was soothing.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast