Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cause of enamel loss? page

kanotim is offline Junior Member

cause of enamel loss?

Primal Fuel
    Recently, I noticed darker areas of tooth, especially on all my bottom molars, near the gum (looks like a thin stripe). I don't know when this started happening but I think its connected to a change in diet:

From nearly half a year this was my diet:
    -nearly paleo/primal (occasional dairy from grassfed cheese),
    -grainfed meat, small intake of bad PUFAs (family insists on using vegetable oil)
    -VLC, carbs mainly came from vegetables, avocado, and very rarely, blueberries
    -90% cooked, raw animal food a few times a week in form of sashimi

When summer started, I went to live at a relative's home in a subtropical country
    -1 serving of fruit 3-5 times a week (guava, wax apple, coconut, durian etc,)
    -pretty much no raw meat/fish
    -One 24-30 hr fast a week
    -no grains but I probably had higher intake of bad PUFAs/sodium due to relative's cooking style
    -no cheese but I ate grassfed butter
    -less fresh seafood (canned fish)

Other stuff: Stress/sleep/exercise time improved during summer and I brush teeth with water only. I also take no supplements (hard to get where I live and I can't afford them). Getting hold of organ meats is also hard so I rarely eat any organs.

I think the long period without sweet fruit, and then suddenly adding some fruit back in was the main factor in causing the enamel loss. Before summer though, I already had a little enamel loss for while (1-2 years before seriously eating paleo) on my front teeth. I also didn't get a sugar rush after the fruit and I usually ate higher Gi fruit with some fat. And even after I eating primal/paleo, I still have hard white plaque forming behind my front teeth. Any theories/suggestions?
    Last edited by kanotim; 07-17-2010 at 01:20 AM.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    "...and I brush teeth with water only."

I know the no-extra-toiletries thing is big around here, but the "darker areas of tooth, especially on all my bottom molars, near the gum (looks like a thin stripe)" is almost certainly tartar buildup.

Well, if I touch the darker areas, it feels flat and smooth, like tooth. The darker areas look like the color of regular tooth, just darker. If I look closely on one of my teeth, the dark color looks like a crack like pattern (but its definitely not a real crack). It doesn't look like or feel like the tartar behind my front teeth, which was present when I used to brush with regular toothpaste. I also floss regularly.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanotim View Post
    Well, if I touch the darker areas, it feels flat and smooth, like tooth. The darker areas look like the color of regular tooth, just darker. If I look closely on one of my teeth, the dark color looks like a crack like pattern (but its definitely not a real crack). It doesn't look like or feel like the tartar behind my front teeth, which was present when I used to brush with regular toothpaste. I also floss regularly.
    Hmm. Well, then maybe not.

Sounded like tartar. Sorry. Good luck.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    reflux - even sub-clinical -will cause what you describe....as loss of enamel, and eventually cavities at the gumline.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

The enamel loss and post nasal drip appear to be my only matching symptoms that match reflux so its unlikely I have reflux. I don't burp very often.

Quote Originally Posted by kanotim View Post
    The enamel loss and post nasal drip appear to be my only matching symptoms that match reflux so its unlikely I have reflux. I don't burp very often.
    I had no symptoms...except the enamel loss. and the post nasal drip. and the throat clearing. I didn't and don't have the burping/gassy thing. I never had burning sensations.

I did some allergy testing, treated the allergies with meds and nasal irrigation and had no reduction in the post nasal drip and throat clearing.

And then one day, after 10 years of 'no symptoms', I had my first symptomatic episode of GERD. Over the course of three days, it became clear to me that it was reflux all along and the scary bad episode was my catalyist to finally ditch grains and suga

At first, it did help tremendously. But 10 weeks in, it's clear to me that I'm still having issues....it's worse when I eat more fat. Digestive enzymes help some but not completely. If it's still an issue by next April, a nissen (or other) fundoplication is the route I'll choose.

I hadn't had a cavity in.....20 years? 25 years? Then, in spite of my *meticulous and frequent* oral hygiene, I developed mutiple cavities: one needing a root canal and crown, two others requiring crowns and two requiring fillings. Insane! It took 5-10 years after first noticing the gumline enamel loss before the real cavities started showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I had no symptoms...except the enamel loss. and the post nasal drip. and the throat clearing. I didn't and don't have the burping/gassy thing. I never had burning sensations.

I did some allergy testing, treated the allergies with meds and nasal irrigation and had no reduction in the post nasal drip and throat clearing.

And then one day, after 10 years of 'no symptoms', I had my first symptomatic episode of GERD. Over the course of three days, it became clear to me that it was reflux all along and the scary bad episode was my catalyist to finally ditch grains and suga

At first, it did help tremendously. But 10 weeks in, it's clear to me that I'm still having issues....it's worse when I eat more fat. Digestive enzymes help some but not completely. If it's still an issue by next April, a nissen (or other) fundoplication is the route I'll choose.

I hadn't had a cavity in.....20 years? 25 years? Then, in spite of my *meticulous and frequent* oral hygiene, I developed mutiple cavities: one needing a root canal and crown, two others requiring crowns and two requiring fillings. Insane! It took 5-10 years after first noticing the gumline enamel loss before the real cavities started showing up.
    Yikes, very informative. I will definitely keep your experience in mind. Also how can be sure if he/she or really has acid reflux? Is there a safe test? Ironically after my last post, I burped several times. This was one hour after a large meal following a fast. I ate several types of food with all sorts of different seasonings- possibily too much food combining in a too large meal. Also ate some fat straight up. I going to eat simpler meals tomorrow and see what happens. Also, I think I'll reduce fruit consumption due to the sugar. Forgot to mention, but I've had some digestion issues for the past month or so.

BTW, while searching acid reflux, I came upon this westonaprice article about reflux. Dunno if you have read it but its an interesting read:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-d...-red-flag.html
    Last edited by kanotim; 07-17-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Gator is offline Senior Member
    You might find something to help at the supplied link:

http://www.communicationagents.com/s...istry_prof.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    You might find something to help at the supplied link:

http://www.communicationagents.com/s...istry_prof.htm
    While I don't have time for a detailed analysis, the most glaring error there is that they confuse correlation with causation. I'd agree heartily that adding flouride to drinking water was not a beneficial public health meausre but the cause of the skeletal and dental issues that have arisen are due in large part to the growing vitamin D deficiency over the same time period.
    Last edited by cillakat; 07-18-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast