Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Basics - longterm determination page

PrimalWonderer is offline Junior Member

Back to Basics - longterm determination

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

I have followed MDA for a few years. I started dabbling with NON CW diets after self diagnosing gluten intolerance after a trip to Vietnam that included a bad belly experience four years ago. After taking extreme amounts of antibiotics and being tested for Chrons (in the family) and parasites and what not - I stopped eating gluten and felt amazing. No more 9 BMs a day, less bloating, and less constant hunger.
    Unfortunately I replaced gluten with sugar. For about a year I indulged in "gluten free" biscuits and lollies replaced my bread.

Anyway fast forward and my minor psoriasis is more significant, I have terrible anxiety and it has slowly morphed into depression, my weight has gone up about 10kgs, I have terrible digestion problems and I'm ALWAYS tired. And addicted to sugar/binge eating carbs.

I have read everything forever about primal/paleo/jack kruse/david asprey and I would keep diving headfirst into high fat keto diets, leptin resistance diets, new supplement diets, no artificial light and barefoot grounding - it would all last a week or two and then flop. Because I don't have a background of steady primal style eating to start from.

So my goal now is to eat "primal" for the rest of the year before changing anything else. I need the background habits and baseline health before I try to fix my self diagnosed leaky gut/sibo and terrible upper body strength.

Hope that starting this thread will keep me motivated and focused!

Thanks

Tigs is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forums! I know journaling has helped me to keep going while learning. I agree; I think one thing at a time works much better than trying everything at once. Having goals work well for me, and I like being able to track progress (whether it is in directions I expected or not)

What do you hope to accomplish with "just" eating primal until the end of the year? Do you expect to improve health? Weight? Fitness levels? Control eating behaviors? Or are you just being open to whatever may come of this while developing the good habits? Remember to journal your victories and failures, to be able to track where you really are going. Its amazing how we forget what things felt like at the beginning of the road!

Best of luck, and Grok on...

Urja is online now Senior Member
    Welcome to the journal section and good luck with your journal!

For me improving my gut flora had a huge effect on my mood as well as my physical health. So lots of probiotics (supplementation and foods), along with prebiotics to feed the gut bugs as they established themselves. Cutting out all refined sugar (the sugar naturally occurring in foods) is also really important for clearing up dysbiosis. And for sure no gluten and eating paleo/primal was a huge winner for me!

Good luck with your journey and look forward to seeing how you go.

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    I understand your desire to keep things simple and sustained by focusing on diet first. Diving in headfirst does cause burnout. However, much of the success of the diet is due to hormonal changes that result from reasonable exercises like PB's body weight strengthening exercise with occasional (only) cardio. You will want to keep that simple too. Good luck and welcome.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Thanks Urja,

I was trying to take like 100 supplements etc which wasn't working. And I went through a stage taking potato starch and green bananas. I'm sure they all help but not if you have a sugar binge once a week and then eat mainly carbs some days... So I'm going back to just eating primally and taking a probiotic in the morning and at night. It's got five or six strains and grapeseed extract (Candea is the brand) and it's certainly "shaking things up"! I am also trying to eat pickles and sauerkraut - fermented dairy freaks me out. I'm also taking bovine colostrum - it's been five days and I have noticed more constant energy

Hi Tigs,

My goals for "just" eating primal are mainly to maintain an 80/20 paleo diet and to develop it as a habit and the following:

- increased and more sustained energy (I'm up and down all day, sleepy, energized, grumpy, annoying)
    - become fat burning
    - And improve my digestive system
    - Feel satiated and reduce my desire for carb bingeing
    - Have a better relationship with food

My hopes in the future are:
    - boost immune system and reduce the likely overgrowth of bad bacteria
    - reduce my anxiety and depression (it comes and goes and I'm currently taking some horrible medication called valdoxan as I really hit rock bottom)
    - Reduce my psoriasis which I scratch til bleeding in my sleep
    - Improve my weight. I'm not fat, but I'm 5'11'' and weigh about 176pounds/80kilos and I doubt any of it is muscle. I'd like to swap the fat for nice strong muscles.

DavidA is online now Junior Member
    Have you tried high dose vitamin d supplements for your psoriasis?

I haven't. I've never taken vitamin D - I live in Australia in a town where it's known for always being sunny. Have you found it makes a difference? I know mine gets worse in winter because of less sun exposure - usually I'm fine from december to march.

I take it for MS. I first tested my serum vitamin d level. It was about 50 ng/mL which is a good level but I wanted it higher so I took 20,000 iu per day for 1.5 months to get the level to about 100 ng/mL then lowered my dose to 10,000 per day. Ive read a lot about it and it's supposed to benefit autoimmune conditions including MS and psoriasis.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you do supplement with it, you should also take the cofactors magnesium and vitamin K2. Here are research articles on it: Psoriasis | Vitamin D Wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast