Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sun cream recommendations for the face? page

Urja is offline Senior Member

Sun cream recommendations for the face?

Shop Now
    Ok so the primal line is that the sun is great for you, and whilst I don't deny that it's got it's benefits, I also can see just by looking at people around me that the people who spend a tonne of time out in the sun are far more wrinkly and age-spotty than those who spend more time indoors. Don't want to turn this into a debate about how eating primal or taking certain supplements has helped people burn less or have better skin - I don't burn anyway and have pretty nice skin at the moment. But yes, I'm vain and I don't want a wrinkly, blotchy face earlier than I absolutely have to. What I am curious about is what "natural" sunscreens people here have tried that work well on the face.

I realise "natural" is a loaded word. I prefer to use products that have no parabens and various other nasties in them. I'm also aware that a lot of commercial sunscreens contain things like oxybenzone which are decidedly not a good idea. I prefer to use creams which use titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Here's a useful table of stuff I found here: The Trouble With Sunscreen Chemicals | EWG's 2015 Guide to Sunscreens

There are such sunscreens about so what is the need for this thread? Well the trouble is that a lot of these "natural" sunscreens are rather greasy and heavy on facial skin. At the moment I am using this cream, and whilst I am happy about it's protective capability I do tend to break out more after a few days of using it. It seems that mineral sunscreens by their very nature need to be applied in a thick-ish layer which sits on the skin, and this is not that pleasant to look at or to feel. I was wondering if others here have any experience with good sunscreens without harmful things in them, or any thoughts on what constitutes a good sunscreen.

Oh and for the record I do make sure I get some sun exposure for vitamn D and other benefits. And my main sun avoidance technique is to cover up and/or stay in the shade, so I'm not looking for a licence to lay outside and sizzle - I'm just trying to protect my face at those times when I cannot avoid being in hot sun.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Hat! Think Arab desert wear!

Well I do often wrap a scarf around my face. But sometimes that is impractical.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    We have used the Badger brand one, but I don't really know how it compares.. I either burn or wear a hat really. And I burn a lot less now on a primal-esque diet and lifestyle.

Well I don't burn at all but that doesn't mean I'm not damaging my skin...will look into the badger balm, thanks.

Vainamoinen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urja View Post
    Ok so the primal line is that the sun is great for you, and whilst I don't deny that it's got it's benefits, I also can see just by looking at people around me that the people who spend a tonne of time out in the sun are far more wrinkly and age-spotty than those who spend more time indoors.
    Has the old phrase been metricated now? LOL

Maybe we could do that with some others:

* Give them an inch and they take an ell
    * Inching up on her

The drunk was centimetering up on the attractive blonde at the bar. ...

Apologies for being irrelevant. The thing is what you don't see. That's what I think you're missing. Besides, you don't have to spend a ton (or even 1000kg) of time in the sun. I mean: some people are out there all day whenever they can.

What you don't see is all the people who never spent enough time in the sun, and as a consequence got a range of problems from that that were rather more serious than wrinkling, cancer [sic] being just one.

So this is a case of a visible condition skewing one's perception, because one doesn't see the other side of it.

I said "cancer". Melanoma is more prevalent among those who get a heck of a lot of sun exposure but malignant melanoma has the reverse correlation. And it's not the only cancer that does.

Of course, manufacturers of suncreams try to worry people about the sun. But what's new? With suncreams as with cholesterol-lowering medications, vegetable oils, and many other things (perhaps, as it turns out, including mammograms) it's a case of "let the buyer beware".

Like fifer, I wouldn't use anything nowadays - just physical barriers: hats and clothes, and go indoors or at least under shade when you've had enough.

Thanks for your thoughts, but I'm looking for sun cream recommendations in this thread. I'm aware that getting no sun at all is bad for health, but I also want non-wrinkly skin.

vabelle35 is offline Member
    Everything breaks me out, so I have to be careful with what I use.

I just started using Bare Minerals Prep Step 50 SPF. Comes out liquid, goes on dry. You do have to use just a little as if you use too much you get a white sheen under your makeup.

I'm loving it so far though.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    wear a hat. not much more natural than that.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Learn More
    Thanks for the rec for bare minerals. I don't wear makeup though - can I still use it or will I look weird?

I tend to favour wrapping a shawl around my face rather than a hat, which doesn't adequately cover nose and even cheeks and chin. However it's not always comfortable when doing manual stuff outside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast