Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthiest vegan diet page

Nellodee is online now Senior Member

Healthiest vegan diet

Shop Now
    I'm starting to get really tired of eggs, and kinda want to experiment some. Thinking of trying a month of whole foods vegan for a change of pace and to see what happens. Been doing lots of gelatin for some months and I'm really not sure it's done anything. People here said meat would help with all sorts of issues I've been having, but I don't feel any differently with the gelatin so who knows. Hair loss didn't improve until I started using some crazy expensive shampoo with saw palmetto and other good things. Only difference I've noticed with gelatin is constipation.

Mostly raw vegan is the way I'd go, likely with some soups and things along the way. Is protein really that much of a concern? The difference between getting like 40g and 100g hasn't been obvious or noticeable. Would beans be my best bet for protein? Along with some nuts, seeds and idk what else.

Advice on what foods to make sure I get enough of would be helpful. Planning on lots of berries and veggies.

Was like a junk food vegan for quite a while. Will be neat to see what health food vegan is like

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

Kimya Dawson - The Competition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUDjMpgx8U

I never wanted to be better than my friends...

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    I think potatoes are one of the best vegan protein sources, though they would not fit on a raw diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    I think potatoes are one of the best vegan protein sources, though they would not fit on a raw diet.
    Ohh potatoes. Yes

Not trying to restrict myself to raw or anything that just seems easiest for like foods to eat at work and stuff.

Pamela M is offline Senior Member
    Can't really comment on a good vegan diet, but you'll have to supplement your B12.

steven.kelly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela M View Post
    Can't really comment on a good vegan diet, but you'll have to supplement your B12.
    Do you have site that would be a good go to for what vegans would need to supp?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Gelatin is excellent for several reasons but it will not cut it as the only source of animal protein. Why not try to eat some animal protein with cooked starches such as potatoes, rice as your main meal of the day and eat raw vegan for the rest of the day? Some beef, fish, fowl etc. for dinner together with the starches – make variations – don’t eat the same every day. Then raw fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds for the rest of the day…
    Last edited by Gorbag; 06-11-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Nellodee, do you have physical or ethical issues with whey protein? If not, protein shakes might be the easiest way for you to not go too low on protein without having to eat large quantities of beans. I know it's not a whole food, but most days it's the only way I can get my protein goals without overeating. And I'm like the opposite of a vegetarian - yesterday, for e.g., all I ate was chicken and pork rinds. I did make a spicy tomato based sauce for the chicken, so the couple of tablespoons of tomato paste was the only plant product that I ate.

The US govt recommends 46 gms of protein/day for women aged 14 and older. Some folks think that's way too low, but it's probably subsistence.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Pamela M is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.kelly View Post
    Do you have site that would be a good go to for what vegans would need to supp?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Here you go: Vegan Health Home Page
    Not that I'm trolling vegan websites, but I was just having this discussion with a vegetarian friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Gelatin is excellent for several reasons but it will not cut it as the only source of animal protein. Why not try to eat some animal protein with cooked starches such as potatoes, rice as your main meal of the day and eat raw vegan for the rest of the day? Some beef, fish, fowl etc. for dinner together with the starches – make variations – don’t eat the same every day. Then raw fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds for the rest of the day…
    What good would more animal protein do? Adding in gelatin didn't help anything in any obvious ways. I'm finding it kinda hard to believe that animal proteins are so much better than quality eggs and dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Nellodee, do you have physical or ethical issues with whey protein? If not, protein shakes might be the easiest way for you to not go too low on protein without having to eat large quantities of beans. I know it's not a whole food, but most days it's the only way I can get my protein goals without overeating. And I'm like the opposite of a vegetarian - yesterday, for e.g., all I ate was chicken and pork rinds. I did make a spicy tomato based sauce for the chicken, so the couple of tablespoons of tomato paste was the only plant product that I ate.

The US govt recommends 46 gms of protein/day for women aged 14 and older. Some folks think that's way too low, but it's probably subsistence.
    I'm lactose intolerant but have been handling butter and cheese and stuff pretty well. No huge ethical reasons to say no. But I've got all this gelatin still and plan to finish it, so if I start to feel like I need more protein that would be the way to go probably. Kinda want to do this 100% vegan though, to see if the animal products really make that big of a difference.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post
    What good would more animal protein do? Adding in gelatin didn't help anything in any obvious ways. I'm finding it kinda hard to believe that animal proteins are so much better than quality eggs and dairy.
    Animal protein from various sources will make sure that you get essencial amino acids and you are right eggs and dairy are very good and complete sources of protein but some variation will probably do you good - a little beef or organ meat will provide b-12 and protect against anemia etc. And if I were you I would still eat some gelatin also...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast